Author Topic: Removing a royal duke  (Read 23574 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Removing a royal duke
« Topic Start: July 24, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
I want power to rest with the landed nobles.

That's a nice idea, but doesn't seem to work in practice. In my experience, most region lords don't see this as having power, they see it as an extra chore they have put up with.

And you end up with situations like in Kindara, where a Duchess is apparently logging in enough to not auto-pause, but refuses to answer messages or appoint a lord to one of her rurals for more than a month. There's 1000 bushels of food stuck in that rural with no way to get it out while her city starves, and the duchess can't even be banned because she's a royal.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Removing a royal duke
« Reply #1: July 24, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
That's a nice idea, but doesn't seem to work in practice. In my experience, most region lords don't see this as having power, they see it as an extra chore they have put up with.

In a game like this the developers can only create the framework, what the players do with that frame work is largely out of developer control.

And you end up with situations like in Kindara, where a Duchess is apparently logging in enough to not auto-pause, but refuses to answer messages or appoint a lord to one of her rurals for more than a month. There's 1000 bushels of food stuck in that rural with no way to get it out while her city starves, and the duchess can't even be banned because she's a royal.

Been in similar situations and they sure are frustrating. However they are completely valid situations to be confronted with. It is supposed to be difficult to cut the rug out from under royals, especially royals with powerful positions.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 24, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
How about the fact that the rural has no lord, so, realistically, we could just go to the granaries and take the damn food. But apparently only the non-existent lord has the magical key to the unbreakable lock.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 24, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »
First: Sounds like a pretty sucky situation.
Second: Sounds like a self-correcting problem. If the city is starving, it will eventually revolt and kick out the duchess. Then, if the ruler is smart, they will give it to someone else.
Third: If you can't ban, then start using other methods to get her out. Get the other lords to stop selling food to the city. Place heavy fines on the duchess. Send in the assassins. Send the banker to cook the books.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 24, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »
First: Sounds like a pretty sucky situation.
Second: Sounds like a self-correcting problem. If the city is starving, it will eventually revolt and kick out the duchess. Then, if the ruler is smart, they will give it to someone else.
Third: If you can't ban, then start using other methods to get her out. Get the other lords to stop selling food to the city. Place heavy fines on the duchess. Send in the assassins. Send the banker to cook the books.
Third is possible but unless I am wrong you are thinking in terms of the old system for #2 because why would the city revolting kick out the duchess, sure it gets them out of Margrave but not Duchess IIRC.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 24, 2012, 06:36:21 PM »
Grrf.... One of these days I'll remember that... Well, then convince all the lords to swap duchies. Isolate and ostracize the incompetent duke/duchess. If the city goes rogue and it is retaken, it will join the duchy closes to it. If that is a different duchy, then the new duchy will gain a city, and the old duchy lose one. Sounds like a great way for one of the other dukes in Kindara to add some regions to their duchy.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 24, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
Grrf.... One of these days I'll remember that... Well, then convince all the lords to swap duchies. Isolate and ostracize the incompetent duke/duchess. If the city goes rogue and it is retaken, it will join the duchy closes to it. If that is a different duchy, then the new duchy will gain a city, and the old duchy lose one. Sounds like a great way for one of the other dukes in Kindara to add some regions to their duchy.
Still the issue of the lordless rural though. Technically speaking there is one way to do it but its super gamey and would never happen in medieval times or any time for that matter so I wouldn't want to.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:45:04 PM by Penchant »
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 24, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »
You could drive it rogue via diplomats/ambassadors/priests. But, yeah, that's pretty metagamish.

But hopefully, long before you got far enough to think about that, your absentee duchess would wake up and smell the coffee. Maybe the second or third time she woke up with a dagger in the back. And, really, you may be able to knock her out of office with one well-time knifing.

egamma

« Reply #8: July 24, 2012, 07:12:23 PM »
Still the issue of the lordless rural though. Technically speaking there is one way to do it but its super gamey and would never happen in medieval times or any time for that matter so I wouldn't want to.

A priest could do an RTO of the rural...if that option is working now.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 24, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »
You could drive it rogue via diplomats/ambassadors/priests. But, yeah, that's pretty metagamish.
Yeah thats what I was thinking which IC makes no sense.
A priest could do an RTO of the rural...if that option is working now.
Yeah that or I like Indiriks infiltrator option.
― G.K. Chesterton

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 24, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
the elusive autosell..

assassination. auto-de-fey? (though.. i guess that doesn't work against dukes, does it... hey.. maybe it should? though not sure how that works either, seeing as there's no "no duchy" setting for a region... make the priest a duke? of the region only? too powerful? replacing the duke wholesale would certainly be too powerful. boot the duke from the duchy? thus... duchy intact, just position vacant? rather powerful too) ruler change lordship rules to elections...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:24:57 PM by fodder »
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #11: July 24, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
A bad duke/duchess of an important duchy is supposed to be devastating, even more so if they are a royal.  These ideas are good, but the difficulty of their execution is valid and not a problem that this feature is trying to solve (and it shouldn't!).
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #12: July 24, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
just offering solutions to the dodgy dukeship.

You are trying to think of a solution - I don't even see the problem. It only exists from a strategy/winning perspective.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 25, 2012, 12:52:55 AM »
You are trying to think of a solution - I don't even see the problem. It only exists from a strategy/winning perspective.

Or, you know, from a "the city is starving and losing thousands of people and there's !@#$ all we can do about it" perspective.

Eithad

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 25, 2012, 01:30:54 AM »
Or, you know, from a "the city is starving and losing thousands of people and there's !@#$ all we can do about it" perspective.

You could plan ahead better and appoint lords that will move their food around.

Though I wish we could loot our own regions for food. If a lord won't sell his food, just send in the army and take it.