Author Topic: Region Productivity Boost for Tournament Participants  (Read 3159 times)

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    Title: Region Productivity Boost for Tournament Participants

Summary: If a noble participates in a tournament, their region gains a production boost while gone. If the noble does well, an additional production boost occurs after the tournament. The duration of this extra boost depends on how well the noble placed.

Details: As soon as a noble leaves for a tournament their home region is granted a small productivity boost. The productivity boost usually lasts until the noble returns from the tournament. Should the noble do well in the tournament, their region's productivity boost will continue after their return. The total duration of the boost depends on how well the noble places at the tournament. This productivity boost represents increased peasant activity and moral. Maybe even merchandising!

Benefits: As things stand, the realm benefits little when their nobles leave to attend a tournament. It could even be argued that realms suffer more from the nobles absence. This would hopefully take some of the perceived bite away. Nobles no longer need to feel guilty for attending tournaments as their participation results in a concrete benefit to the realm.

Possible Downsides or Exploits: If the numbers are not tuned right (something the Devs would have to determine), a realm could get earn an unbalanced amount of additional income. This might cause debate regarding the inalienable rights if nobles were ordered to attend a tournament.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
From a game-mechanic point of view, I think this is a good idea. However, from a realistic point of view, it seems weird. Why would the innkeeper make more gold while his Lord is away? Why would the mines produce more gold?

Also, it would hard to determine what "his region" means. Does it only apply to Lords? Do you hand out benefits pro rate of the size of the estate? What about landless nobles?

Maybe it would be best to apply a bonus to the unit instead of to the region. Something like an equipment upgrade if you do well for example? "You performed so magnificently at the tournament, the local smith ran after you to offer you his brand new shields, hoping some of your prestige would rub off on him. You can increase your unit's armor rating by 10 point for only 10 gold."
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Good points. Perhaps moral bonus would be more appropriate. People take pride when one of their own is competing - especially if they do well.

Directly to your points:

Why would the innkeeper make more gold while his Lord is away?

Because people are spending their evenings at said inn discussing the valiant noble and whatever news they hear from the tournament. If one of their own were not there, they would be less interested in spending time and money in relation to a tourney. As above though, perhaps a morale bonus might be better.

Why would the mines produce more gold?

Because the people are proud and feel a sense of unity and thus work harder with less fuss. They start working for the good of the cause instead of just because they have to. Again, moral bonus might be better than productivity.

Also, it would hard to determine what "his region" means. Does it only apply to Lords?

I intended it to mean the lord of the region and/or any noble with an estate in that region. I would not expect a flat stacking bonus as this could be too much but I would think that multiple nobles participating from the same region would result in a slightly higher bonus than just one.

Do you hand out benefits pro rate of the size of the estate?

Not a bad idea but then you have to consider that a lord may not have an estate. I would keep it simple and have a flat bonus for one participant with tiny increases for additional participants beyond the first.

What about landless nobles?

They do not spur a bonus as no one considers them their own and is there to cheer them on and plain feel good about their Lord/Knight being off in the tournament. A benefit of having peasants of your own!

Maybe it would be best to apply a bonus to the unit instead of to the region. Something like an equipment upgrade if you do well for example?

I think that a moral bonus to your troops would be in order or the like!

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Also, a lot of this would have to take the "rule by fear or by love" concept being introduced. I imagine that a region ruled by fear would fail to incur any such bonuses while regions ruled in kindness would.

Zakilevo

Sometimes it might be nice to have something like this with less realistic reasons.

Gustav Kuriga

From a game-mechanic point of view, I think this is a good idea. However, from a realistic point of view, it seems weird. Why would the innkeeper make more gold while his Lord is away? Why would the mines produce more gold?

Also, it would hard to determine what "his region" means. Does it only apply to Lords? Do you hand out benefits pro rate of the size of the estate? What about landless nobles?

Maybe it would be best to apply a bonus to the unit instead of to the region. Something like an equipment upgrade if you do well for example? "You performed so magnificently at the tournament, the local smith ran after you to offer you his brand new shields, hoping some of your prestige would rub off on him. You can increase your unit's armor rating by 10 point for only 10 gold."

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice realism for gameplay vonGenf. Otherwise our messages would take weeks to get to each other in-game...

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The world cup is what made me think of the productivity boost actually. I live in a small town (Dorf) in Germany right now and the local "Stüble" (little tavern), which is usually close to dead, is packed on every game night. Germans are all buying flags and hub caps and jerseys and the like to show their support for Germany.

I imagine that a region who cares for it's nobility would likely also show such camaraderie and support.  Buying little pennants in their knights or lords colors, spending some of the coins they have been hiding from tax collectors at the local inn as they chat about the odds, the competitors, any new news and the like. I honestly bet that most countries (outside of the US) see a bit of an economic boost whenever the Would Cup comes arround and tournaments are the closest things BM has to this.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
I honestly bet that most countries (outside of the US) see a bit of an economic boost whenever the Would Cup comes arround and tournaments are the closest things BM has to this.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/world-cup-2014-absent-employees-cost-uk-economy-4bn-1454174

Paint me skeptical.... :-)

Sometimes you just have to sacrifice realism for gameplay vonGenf. Otherwise our messages would take weeks to get to each other in-game...

I agree with this. I was just proposing a different way to achieve the same results. I don't think the original is particularly bad either.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
While I am not an expert in such things I find that article questionable in itself. Big money lawyers complaining on behalf corporations via an article on a business news web site... Might be totally true but I am a bit skeptical. Of course, my experience has only been from America (What's the world cup?) and Germany (Ordnung muss sein!) and things may be quite different in the UK. All the same, I am not at all stuck on the benefit being in the form of a productivity boost. Moral boost for region and unit sounds pretty good to me too...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Personally, I do like the idea of a small, temporary boost for the regions of nobles who attend the tournament. Even a boost based on the final showing of the nobles involved, especially for the winner.

I can see the boost being across the board, affecting loyalty, morale, and production. Is it realistic? Maybe, maybe not. But it makes for a good game.

The idea of an initial boost for the first noble, and smaller incremental boosts for additional nobles, is a good one, too. It could be added to the new baseline value, causing stats to trend upward.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.