Author Topic: New Invasion System  (Read 16152 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
New Invasion System
« Topic Start: July 27, 2012, 09:44:41 AM »
As announced, there will be no more GM-driven invasions.

That doesn't mean BT will become peaceful. However, the new invasion system is a lot more player-driven and a mix of PvP and PvE. It is really simple and brilliant. Here's how it works:

With the defeat of the Daimon Dominion, everyone on Beluaterra is relieved, but has also had their eyes opened to other worlds, to magic and to the grim realities of life. Witchcraft and sorcery are taking hold amongst the population and while most of it is harmless charlatanry, some of those witches, warlocks, sorcerers, hedge magicians and what else they call themselves are making you nervous.

Guards and militia throughout the island have been instructed to be on the look out. It is feared that all this wild magic would cause more evils to stir in the night...

OOC Information:
There are two new magical scrolls added to the game, Summon Monsters and Summon Undead. They do exactly what you think they do. However, there is an additional way of finding them, aside from adventurers contacting wizards: They can be found when you are a region lord and your guards burn a witch. This is a random event, there's nothing you need to do.
One of those scrolls alone won't do very much. It might be a small nuisance. But if your realm begins stockpiling them... and then uses a lot of them in the lands of the same enemy... not all in the same region, but say one or two in each of his regions... or send your local invasion to the allies of your enemy so they are busy and can't help out... or... there are so many options...

The base concept is that there will be fewer and smaller invasions, and you the players will trigger them. And what a burnt-earth strategy for a realm being conquered by a superior enemy...

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: New Invasion System
« Reply #1: July 27, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
heh... do judges get to grab scrolls from prisoners btw?
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: July 27, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
heh... do judges get to grab scrolls from prisoners btw?

no, they aren't unique items.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: July 27, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »
hmm so instead of a big invasion, we are getting small fries? that is somewhat disappointing  but I can see the potential. I guess it can't be called an invasion anymore. Those scrolls sound like strategical weapons...

Sypher

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 27, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Sounds interesting. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 27, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
While I'm a fan of a big epic Invasions, let us see how this works out. It might end up being lots of fun :)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: July 27, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »
hmm so instead of a big invasion, we are getting small fries? that is somewhat disappointing  but I can see the potential. I guess it can't be called an invasion anymore. Those scrolls sound like strategical weapons...

Usually, it will result in mini-invasions on parts of the island. But if two or more realms were to go nuclear on each other after having collected a bunch of them scrolls... you wouldn't see much of a difference to a big invasion.

And there's also a few hidden things I'm not (yet) talking about. Some things can blow up if they accumulate too much...

Poliorketes

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 27, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
Usually, it will result in mini-invasions on parts of the island. But if two or more realms were to go nuclear on each other after having collected a bunch of them scrolls... you wouldn't see much of a difference to a big invasion.

And there's also a few hidden things I'm not (yet) talking about. Some things can blow up if they accumulate too much...

I love the scrolls idea!  Its going to be sooo funny!  ;D ... and with blow ups!!!  maybe a overdose of scrolls = Dragons?!  ;D

Oh, well... a few questions: only lords will find scrolls, not knights? and I had understand, once summoned the monsters/undead, they will be totally free-will, they will obey nobody? totally wild monsters.

Maybe a bit dumb questions, but better be sure than sorry.

PD. I know 'someone' who has already a monster's scroll!!! ... he,he...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: July 27, 2012, 01:31:04 PM »
For the details, you will have to experiment. *grin*

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 27, 2012, 03:20:13 PM »
Oh boy. What an evil idea.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 27, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
Only an evil mind can make such an awesome game ;)

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 27, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »
All in favour of using Enweil as a weapon testing area, say "aye"
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #12: July 27, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »
EYA!
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 27, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »
Its a nice addition. The nuclear weapon analogy is quite appropriate. Everyone will want to have them but morally condemn their use. Don't mess with Realm XXX - they have the Scroll.

Small concern: If they have an equal chance of popping up in all regions they add to the superiority of large realms as they quite easily will be able to nuke smaller realms to the stoneage. But that is a concern without knowing the additional features Tom mention and hopefully they balance things nicely.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #14: July 27, 2012, 06:12:52 PM »
Its a nice addition. The nuclear weapon analogy is quite appropriate. Everyone will want to have them but morally condemn their use. Don't mess with Realm XXX - they have the Scroll.

Small concern: If they have an equal chance of popping up in all regions they add to the superiority of large realms as they quite easily will be able to nuke smaller realms to the stoneage. But that is a concern without knowing the additional features Tom mention and hopefully they balance things nicely.

When you think about the consequences you realize quickly that a large realm using masses of them on a small realm falls into the same category as, say, China nuking british Hong Kong...