Author Topic: Invasion Feedback / Journal  (Read 7308 times)

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Invasion Feedback / Journal
« Reply #15: July 30, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
My experience (being general of Riombara during most of the time)

Phase 1: All daimons attack Enweil:
We managed to get /all/ human realms (with the exception of Melhed and IVF) to fight jointly in these battles. The humans were outnumbered most of the time - and th daimons had the advantage of being able to recruit close to the battlefields. Still, we managed to kill several daimon armies this way.
During that time Riombara did send their whole army to aid Enweil several times. The only ones staying behind were inactives. This did result in monsters hurting us quite a bit...and once a daimon army did burn their way from Fwuvoghor through the isles, past Grehk and on towards Lopa, costing us around 20.000 peasants - while we fought in Enweil.

Phase 2: daimons have near destroyed Enweil, head north.

Phase 3: the horrors appear and attack the capitals.
I think we can agree that defending capitals in that phase was the only logical choice. Riombara lost Grehk, then MotS did take Fheuvenehm, then Enweilios. Riombara did try to send aid (again, the whole army) far towards IVF. We also sent our army to defend Enweilios but did arrive a halfturn too late.

Phase 4: daimons change tactics - the do not attack capitals anymore but concentrate on outlying regions.
This phase did start after the daimons did take Enweilios. After losing Enweilios we thought that MotS would head right for Rines - thus we scrambled to defend it. Once it became clear that he was not heading straight towards it we - again - sent our whole army to fight him in Rumannen. This is equivalent of marching across half the continent. Again leaving our capital completely uncovered - if any other daimon would have marched out of the blight /anywhere/ we'd have lost Rines - and this would have meant the practical end for Riombara. Thus we did take quite a risk.

After Rumannen we continued to march out to engage MotS actively: Mio Dupaki and finally Ardmore where we killed him (the 4th full battle we fought against him, always seeking him out). The following daimons were all engaged and killed in the field - with the exception of one of the portal guardians.

So - during the entire time of the invasion from the heavy allied fighting in Enweil until the end, the only time we did concentrate to defend Rines was for 2 weeks during the time horrors attacked capitals and during the final assualt of the portal guardians. We did risk losing first Grehk, then Rines near the entire time.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 30, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
Same in Riombara. They go defending their precious capital and while they do, Midnight of the South will simply blight all that is left of IVF and Enweil.

XD

that's bad, because? not like they'll join the fight, blight or not.
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 30, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
No capital = No recruitment. If it's a one-city realm, it also means no more cashing in bonds.

While uniting our forces to focus on specific daimon leaders means more chances to kill him, it also means that that it leaves the whole realm exposed, giving the daimons the possibility of completely wreaking one's production and therefore ability to renew the army. Not mentionning how far everyone was from each other, especially in the South. To focus on one daimon would have been a very dangerous gamble: if the daimon retreats into the blight before the coalition arrives (it did happen at least once I think), he can go and flank anyone and cripple realms. Meanwhile, the armies would not only have failed to dent the daimons, the long travels would have cost a lot in equipment damage. Not to mention that capitals have walls...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 01, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
Quote from: Tom
Run suicide attacks against the Daimons and hope for a lucky hit, while gathering your armies to crush them in the field.

I should note, this was more-or-less the strategy Solari, Ivagil and I pursued after the fall of Ossmat.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 01, 2012, 07:48:01 PM »
My experience (being general of Riombara during most of the time)

Phase 1: All daimons attack Enweil:
We managed to get /all/ human realms (with the exception of Melhed and IVF) to fight jointly in these battles. The humans were outnumbered most of the time - and th daimons had the advantage of being able to recruit close to the battlefields. Still, we managed to kill several daimon armies this way.

What base slander is this?  ??? Melhed fought a long campaign in the south before the blight closed you off.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 02, 2012, 12:46:45 AM »
I must say I really enjoyed this invasion, and I'm very happy that I decided to start playing on BT again right before it began. My character slaying MoTS (I believe) was the most joyous moment!

Also, about Enweil/IVF: from Folcard's (my character's) point of view the devastation done to Enweil/IVF was welcome. Slaying the daimons was of course the priority but seeing the damage done to those silly Enweilians and their spin-off was a big plus. Experiencing this invasion from within Riombara I was amazed how such a realm could simply be so kick-ass. The armies we brought to the daimons were always strong, gold was plenty and our military leadership (that's you Tan_Serrai!) was extremely experienced and quick to discover how to tackle each different wave. I'm certain the realm changed a bit during the invasion, like all realms do under duress, but it certainly is for the better. I even like the Enweilian refugees now.
Ardet nec consumitur.