Author Topic: Disputed Lordships  (Read 4935 times)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Disputed Lordships
« Topic Start: July 28, 2012, 04:13:41 AM »
Title: Disputed Lordships

Summary: Rulers are granted the power to appoint to Lordships that have been vacant for more than two weeks(could vary.)

Details: If a region remains without a Lord for more than two weeks, allow for a ruler to appoint a candidate. This would cost the Duke prestige as it appears he does not even have power over his duchy. Also give the Duke the power to dispute any such appointment, causing prestige loss for the Ruler. The Duke will lose prestige over time if the disputed lord remains in power, and the ruler will lose a significant amount of prestige if the appoint lord loses the region for some reason. The Duke can withdraw the dispute if compromise is reached, or the dispute ends if the Duke or the Lord lose their positions.

Benefits: It adds an IC way to deal with uncooperative Royal Duke. As well, it could add some interesting conflict between a powerful Duke and a realm Ruler.

Possible Exploits: No obvious exploits.

edit: changed potential exploits
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:43:03 AM by LGMAlpha »

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Disputed Lordships
« Reply #1: July 28, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
Your possible exploit seems unrelated to this and a valid IC thing to do.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #2: July 28, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
Why should it be so easy to bypass the authority of a Royal Duke?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 28, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
I'm not sure why Royals are such a massive pain in BM. They weren't that troublesome in the middle-ages, they could always be dethroned, exiles, or if need be assassinated. ;-) An uncooperative Duke, unless he's wielding military might to sustain his position, would most definitely be removed from his seat of power.

Y'all should read the wondrous A Distant Mirror. Man, the political intrigue, backstabbings and assassinations/murders in the 15th century were ridiculously entertaining ;-)
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: July 28, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
Feel free to exile or assassinate them.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 28, 2012, 07:51:02 PM »
Feel free to exile or assassinate them.

Is exile even a major problem for a royal duke? I mean don't they still get gold, not bonds, every tax so long as they're in the realm? If that is the case, shouldn't an exiled duke be able to outlast a ruler almost always?

As for assassination, if a Duke is incapacitated can the ruler appoint another? I've seen this brought up a few times, but I don't know if it is actually a solution.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #6: July 28, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »
He needs to be incapacitated for long enough to abdicate.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 28, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
Huh. Exile implies they're cut off from any income, can't raise troops, etc. Effectively, an exiled noble is a nobody with absolutely no power who's been kicked out of his nation and left to his own devices. Getting taxes or having an estate - period - is completely opposite of what exile is or implies. Exile should mean what its supposed to mean, that you're cut off and need to find another realm to live in because you're getting absolutely nothing from where you were exiled from.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 28, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »
Huh. Exile implies they're cut off from any income, can't raise troops, etc. Effectively, an exiled noble is a nobody with absolutely no power who's been kicked out of his nation and left to his own devices. Getting taxes or having an estate - period - is completely opposite of what exile is or implies. Exile should mean what its supposed to mean, that you're cut off and need to find another realm to live in because you're getting absolutely nothing from where you were exiled from.

I don't think it works that way anymore, but I can't say for certain.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 28, 2012, 08:51:11 PM »
it just hasn't been updated (since whenever taxes no longer come in bonds only)
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 28, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
What you're describing is pretty much what a Ban does. it removes you from your realm, forcing you to go find a new one. Exile is something different, and for those who you cannot ban. The term may not be quite what you expect it to mean.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 28, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
"exiled from the court"
firefox

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 28, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
That's the issue I have. There was no such thing as a 'ban' in medieval times, not to mention a ban is a more general term for being barred from a particular institution. In fact, the correct historical and linguistic context would in fact reverse the effects of exile and ban upon each other, exile returning to its all-encompassing removal of right and power while ban becomes the more temporary and less-powerful variety.

Ah, language... My love.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #13: July 29, 2012, 01:31:15 AM »
Which is why I use the term banishment instead of "ban" which is a medieval style term.  I am always happy when others pick up on it and use it In Character as well.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 29, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »
Aye. You can be BANISHED from a court, but not exiled. Exile implicitly states your ties have been severed and you've been disowned specifically by your family or nation. :-)

Banish sounds so much better than ban, anyway.