Author Topic: Friends and Enemies  (Read 17082 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Friends and Enemies
« Topic Start: July 28, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
Things going on in post-invasion BT have made me think... would it be good to allow players to declare individual characters and/or families as either friends or enemies? Game-effects yet to-be-determined, but it seems that some more personal conflict would help spark more wars.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Friends and Enemies
« Reply #1: July 28, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
Yes.  Absolutely.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 28, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »
I agree,
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 28, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
I'm eager to see what the in-game effects might be, and I think it's a good idea.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 28, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
Sounds like it has potential, yes.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 28, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
I'd love to be rid of my little text file of families mine hates.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: July 28, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
I'd be happy for some input on two questions:
  • interface - where to provide these options best? I think it should be limited to people you've interacted with, so somewhere in the message system?
  • effects - brainstorm, please.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 28, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
I'd be happy for some input on two questions:
  • interface - where to provide these options best? I think it should be limited to people you've interacted with, so somewhere in the message system?
  • effects - brainstorm, please.

What is currently the contact list seems to be an excellent place to interface it. Even now it distinguishes between corespondents, realmmates, and people that have been met.

Not really sure about effects. I'll wait to see some other suggestions before adding something.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 28, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »
I definitely favor a personal, guild-wide, and even national blacklist and its less hateful cousin. ;-) Enemies of the state, enemies of the religion, enemies of your family, or just your character would be wondrous. This would absolutely help spark wars, conflict, and all sorts of fun issues.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 28, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »
Add it to the same place we have the ignore and vulgarity buttons, I'd say.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 28, 2012, 11:20:24 PM »
Add it to the same place we have the ignore and vulgarity buttons, I'd say.

That's probably the best place. And then afterwards your friend/enemy list can be seen and managed with the ignore list in, is it, paperwork?

Possible enemy effects:

No transfer of bonds between enemies.
An inability to vassalise or pledge allegiance to enemies.
An inability to end hatred diplomatic status with another realm if it is led by an enemy.
An inability to form an alliance with another realm if it is led by an enemy.
An inability to sign treaties if they are drafted/proposed by an enemy.
An automatic premium gets added to the price of trades if you have to purchase food from an enemy.
If you lead a secret society, other guild elders aren't able to bring your enemies into the fold.
Troops recruited from a region led by your enemy will have a lower base morale due to their bitterness at having to serve their lord's enemy.

Possible friend effects:

A slight bonus to estate efficiency if you hold an estate in the region of a friend.
An inability to protest silently or publicly against friend council members.
An inability to join the underground if your friend is in power.

...and that's all I've got for friends because it strikes me if you have a good friendship with a character/family, the effects tend/ought to come freely! >.<

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 28, 2012, 11:20:28 PM »
Possible effect:

If no other reason for battle exists within a region, a player will attempt battle with any they have declared personal enemies or enemies of their family within the region. Those that have declared either player as a "friend" of the family or individual will join that individual on their side of the battle. If they are a friend or enemy of both they will sit out of the battle. All those neither friend or enemy of either will sit out of the battle.

If a character is "attacked" in this manner AND they are within their personal region (which they are lord of, or knight of) they would hold the walls.

"attacked" is defined, as one player naming another as an enemy, while the other person has not named them as an enemy themselves. If it is mutual, neither will receive defensive advantages.

Limitations:

1. It takes 3 days before declaring someone as a "friend" or "enemy" takes effect.
2. Friends cannot be changed to enemies, and vice-versa. They must first be made neutral.
3. There is a 7 day delay after changing someone's status before you may do it again.
4. Diplomatic Relations have no effect on this fight.

------

Perhaps there can also be something to gain from a personal feud if the battle is won. Although it isn't necessary.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 28, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »
I love that idea, sort of a forced duel of sorts - because you can bet your ass if the guy who ruined my father's reign is in the region I'm going to hunt his ass down and make him pay ;-)
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 28, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
Effects:

After brainstorming ideas outside of basic RP (Declaring wars and such simply because you hate the other guy,) effects would range from political to personal. An example of political would be: Duke is of House Bedwyr, Lord within duchy is of House Norrel. House Bedwyr has recently declared House Norrel to be in complete and utter disfavor. As such, and for some strange reason, extra taxes (not too much, or abuse would be a huge problem) would be collected.

Example of personal: House Octavius has slandered House Penardin. Both set standings to hatred. The specific incident was between Selene and Mathilda, and they decide to duel it out. If it is to the surrender, a larger chance of a critical wound or even death should be present. If it is a duel to the death, a significant increase to probability of death should be present. This could branch into say "Healers drag Mathilda away, as she is severely wounded, but Selene chases her and cuts her down. Selene is arrested by the authorities who were nearby, and is currently rotting in your cells."

Though I understand actually killing characters is something we should keep in low doses, it makes sense to me that hatred and blood feuds would incur that kind of irrational behavior.

Maybe have it drag into the army and its cohesion. Bedwyr is Marshal, Norrel is an archer unit. The enemy approaches, Bedwyr gives the order to fire (auto fire as it is in range.) Norrel's unit does not fire until the enemy is doubly closer. (Have the report say "Norrel Archers did not fire as a result of unforeseen circumstances.") Your army takes a few extra loses, but wins regardless. Bedwyr is pissed, Norrel is satisfied to have pissed him off, but faces the potential consequences.

The above gives the potential to drag more houses into the feud.

For positive traits, maybe flip the situation over (positive standings = tax breaks, Archers have increased morale, etc..)
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 28, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »
Also: I think multiple separate fights should be able to take place within a region if they are both "personal feuds" but not related at all to each other
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."