Author Topic: Your Fame on testing  (Read 20068 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Your Fame on testing
« Reply #60: September 04, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
Are the values for skill the actual skill levels? Or are these the relative ratings? The problem with relative ratings for skills is that so long as one person has a very high skill level, then the displayed value pretty much indicates your actual skill level, doesn't it? So why go to the academy to check your skill levels when all you need to do iis open the new fame page?

What we need is a way to weight it, so that if there are 2 people with 100% skill, and 150 people with 30% skill (with a smattering above and below), having 30% skill puts you at 50% on the fame scale.

My statistics knowledge is pretty sketchy, but I'm reasonably sure there's a good way to do this ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #61: September 04, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
That's a good point. We need to address it. One thing right now is that the scale is not linear, so it's not as simple as that, but the correlation is sufficiently trivial to calculate. Provided you are reasonably sure that the top skilled character is at 100% or close to it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:22:46 PM by Tom »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: September 04, 2012, 03:26:47 PM »
What we need is a way to weight it, so that if there are 2 people with 100% skill, and 150 people with 30% skill (with a smattering above and below), having 30% skill puts you at 50% on the fame scale.

My statistics knowledge is pretty sketchy, but I'm reasonably sure there's a good way to do this ;D

Oh, I assumed it was based on percentiles, and not on the skill values themselves?

i.e. if there are two people with 100% skill, you have 31% skill and 97 people have below 30%, then your skill fame is 97. There is no way to deduce your skill from that, unless you know the distribution; you only know roughly where you fit compared to the rest.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: September 04, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
i don't believe it's the actual skill points...

my priest/diplo lord on bt has 96 trading... which can't be his skill points.. oratory at 99

... adventuring 6? i don't think he was an advy ever...
firefox

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: September 04, 2012, 04:35:44 PM »
If it's not a representation of your actual skill, there should be a note on the page explaining it. It is easy to assume that it is. Iknow a couple people that already remarked that it was. With both being ranked on a 100% scale, the correlation from one to the other is a natural thing to do.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: September 04, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »
i thought it's been clear (at least in the forum) it's a relative thing

it even says so in the page

"All the values below are measures against the best on this island. "
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #66: September 04, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »
If it's not a representation of your actual skill, there should be a note on the page explaining it.

Agreed. Help me fill out this:
http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Help:Fame

egamma

« Reply #67: September 04, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
Oh, I assumed it was based on percentiles, and not on the skill values themselves?

i.e. if there are two people with 100% skill, you have 31% skill and 97 people have below 30%, then your skill fame is 97. There is no way to deduce your skill from that, unless you know the distribution; you only know roughly where you fit compared to the rest.

This is how it should be done, percentiles are the way to go.