Author Topic: New Treaty System  (Read 7651 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
New Treaty System
« Topic Start: July 30, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
I have just pushed changes live that give all islands access to our brand new "new-new" treaty system.

You can find the details on the wiki.

Basically, this is much like the "new treaty system" that had been broken around for a long while, except the game mechanics. Treaties are just texts that you sign, with a bit of mechanics for the signing process behind it. Making them free-form gives you, well total freedom in making up any treaty you want.

Existing treaties have been kept, so you should definitely check your treaty status and update your signatures on them. Right now, there is no cleanup of treaties, but soon treaties where all partners have withdrawn will be deleted.

Many thanks to Tim for his efforts, even though a large amount of the game-mechanics code for the new treaty system has ultimately been thrown out, the core of the system, including most of the database structure, is very much his work.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: New Treaty System
« Reply #1: July 30, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
Since the system is really new, and I hacked most of it up in the past three days, it is likely that there will be bugs. If so, please report them on the bugtracker and they will be fixed.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 30, 2012, 11:03:44 PM »
I am really glad to hear this. I think, ultimately, it will add a lot to the game.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: July 31, 2012, 07:36:35 AM »
I am really glad to hear this. I think, ultimately, it will add a lot to the game.

I hope so. Looking for feedback now - it's pretty much finished.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 31, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »
so the old system remains the basis on top of which people based their stuff on?

no option to share facilities without full alliance (or whatever it is), etc?
firefox

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 31, 2012, 07:40:59 AM »
so the old system remains the basis on top of which people based their stuff on?

Yup. The new system is RP only with no supporting game mechanics.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: July 31, 2012, 07:59:36 AM »

Correct.

We are, however, considering adding one or two more settings to the old diplomacy system to allow for things like that.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #7: July 31, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
Tom, any chance you can add who wrote and who signed the treaties?

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: July 31, 2012, 10:33:31 AM »
Theoretically yes, but I have left it out on purpose. Everything in treaties is happening "in the name of the realm".

To keep a full record, it would be necessary to keep track of every change, too.

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 31, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
I'm the Ruler of Eston, but it tells me I am not allowed to "Edit" any treaties as you instructed us to do to in order to save any we wish to keep over the next couple days. It tells me only Diplomats can do it. Is this intended? I don't think Eston has any diplomats....
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: July 31, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
I'm the Ruler of Eston, but it tells me I am not allowed to "Edit" any treaties as you instructed us to do to in order to save any we wish to keep over the next couple days. It tells me only Diplomats can do it. Is this intended? I don't think Eston has any diplomats....

what exact error text on what exact page?

it should alllow you to edit.

egamma

« Reply #11: July 31, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »

"Only diplomats have the required legal, political and trickery knowledge to draft treaties."

I was able to sign several treaties that appeared to be unsigned--will that keep them from being scrapped?

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 31, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »

I go Politics > View Treaties > Edit > "Only diplomats have the required legal, political and trickery knowledge to draft treaties."

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 31, 2012, 08:32:57 PM »
i was going to say... what if you use info->diplomatic treaties->edit... but it looks like they should go to the same place. XD
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #14: July 31, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »
Currently only those with the Ambassador or Diplomat subclasses could edit.  Is it desired that any Ruler automatically get to bypass that requirement?
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.