Author Topic: Shadow Era  (Read 3009 times)

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Shadow Era
« Topic Start: July 31, 2012, 03:45:43 AM »
So, any Shadow Era players around? It is a collectible card game online with somewhat simpler rules compared to MtG, but with some similarities. Basically you have no land cards, but you can sacrifice a card / turn to turn it into a replenishing resource. The game is still quite new, so there are not that many cards out there yet, but they are constantly developing it.

And it is free to play. You can buy stuff with real money if you want, but if you are willing to grind a little in the beginning with the AI, you get them "experience" and "gold" so you can get your cards from thirty to forty to qualify in a PvP game.

I have not invested a dime to the game, but it seems that one can get by with very gradual deck improvement process as well. It is funny to meet a deck that has obviously been bought (many expensive cards) but is so badly put together that a near beginner's deck can beat it. At times though you just do not stand a chance. But, there is a rating system that ensures you generally meet players around your level, so overall you win some and then lose some.

Do take a look. I play as "Turanthas".

www.shadowera.com

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Shadow Era
« Reply #1: July 31, 2012, 07:30:31 AM »
You can find me playing that occasionally. I've had it for a long time, but I don't play too often. I'm currently playing with a Wulven deck than I enjoy a lot. "Balanuir" is my in-game name.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 31, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »
Gave it a go. Not sure I like the fact that the attacker gets to chose the target Ally/Hero but that might just be because I am so use Magic the Gathering. The engine itself is a step up from most the online card games I've played, but I'm so far not really that into the game. Surprising I'll usually be addicted to these kind of games for at least a week.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 14, 2012, 11:34:25 AM »
Since I am not going to be spending real money on this, it is quite a bit of an uphill struggle for me. The players I meet flash impressive arrays of expensive cards and I try to hold my ground with mostly common cards. I win some and I lose some. Rating 220 at the moment (I believe 300 is the maximum).

Gradually my array of cards is building up, and I can actually begin experimenting with various sets without first needing to grind my way to the cards.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: August 14, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
You can hold your own, which is why I like it. There's nothing in the game you can only get with real-world money. That just speeds it up.

Anyone up for a defeat by my wulven deck? I think it's quite strong now, but I rarely play online because of the many, many opponents who seemingly take a look at your deck and decide they don't want to play you and since they don't want to count it as a defeat, simply time out. I hate that, and it happens every other game, so I don't play much online anymore.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 14, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »
Well, I could play you but my deck most certainly is not up to speed yet.

So, you go lone wolf and phase out every three rounds, or what? If you don't mind sharing, that is. ;)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #6: August 14, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
Well, I could play you but my deck most certainly is not up to speed yet.

So, you go lone wolf and phase out every three rounds, or what? If you don't mind sharing, that is. ;)

No, not at all. I have a solid mix of options, since I use the same deck to play all kinds of opponents. I have a couple pack wolves and a few nice hard hitters in there. My usually successful strategy is to keep the enemy down on allies while I slowly build up mine and whittle him down. I don't believe in "gaming" the game with trick moves. Though I built a 60-cards deck once (I think one of the later updates added an upper limit) built all on stamina and increasing the number of cards drawn for both players, strategy: Let him lose by running out of cards. :-)