Author Topic: Bards/Troubadours  (Read 3326 times)

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Bards/Troubadours
« Topic Start: August 05, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
New idea for a class, this could be either adventurer or noble. I would be more partial to adventurer.

A Bard would have the following special actions:

1. Tell Tales - Works just like the Hero's ability, it could require that the Bard witness a battle or meet an important hero. The exact name could be "perform" and the player could roleplay that they're actually singing a song or reciting poetry or even performing a dance that represents the story. If this were an adventurer class the bard could also receive a couple silver pieces as tips for performing. Lords could also offer commissions to have Bards play in their regions which would work just like the bounties for monsters and undead. Bardic tales could be effected by an Oratory skill just like for priests or they could have a "perform" skill.

2. Gather folklore- By mixing with peasants and examining landmarks the Bard can gain historical information about the area. The bard would then get information from the game's log. It could be something well known or something long forgotten. For example they could learn when the region was first conquered, that there was a famine three years ago in which 2000 peasants died. If it's possible they could even get copies of old roleplays that were distributed to the area. This could also be effected by a skill, a better result will mean older information, a very bad result might give you a story that is just plain false. How easy this would be to pull off would depend on how much game data actually gets saved. I know my messages go back at least a month of real time. Even this could be useful as people playing bards would start to write down lesser known historical information on their own. There's actually a lot of game history that I've forgotten which I'd love to have rediscovered.

3. Contest- Bards can challenge one another to a contest of their respective performance art. The winner earns some prestige and the loser loses some. The contest would work like an ordinary performance in terms of effecting the region, but only the winning Bard can receive tips.

Orders:

If this were to be a noble class they could get troupes of performers to travel with them. How many they have could effect how much they can accomplish with various skills and how big of a crowd they can entertain.

Noble Bards could also get a small unit of body guards. They'd always be mercenaries as for the Trader.

Zakilevo

Re: Bards/Troubadours
« Reply #1: August 05, 2012, 07:11:59 PM »
Sounds like a silly idea... doesn't do much for the game...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 05, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »
2. Gather folklore- By mixing with peasants and examining landmarks the Bard can gain historical information about the area. The bard would then get information from the game's log.
There is no "game's log".

Other than that, I don't really think this class fits the game.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 05, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »
This is a good idea for a sub class for advys, provided they ever get a sub class.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 05, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Sounds like a silly idea... doesn't do much for the game...

On the contrary I think it emphasizes the one thing that separates Battle-master from every other MMO out there, the history.

There's a clear game play based benefit as they can effect moral and loyalty. Maybe it would add more flare if it were possible for bards to tell subversive stories which decrease moral and loyalty. Although that might make them too much like priests.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 05, 2012, 07:39:33 PM »
There is no "game's log".

How much information gets stored in the game? Is it only the backlog of messages? Maybe that could be the source of bardic knowledge.

If it only goes back a month that could be another benefit to the bard. They could have a log with a certain fixed amount of space where they can write down battle reports and such that they learn about through gathering information.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 05, 2012, 07:44:29 PM »
... nobles might sing for pleasure.. amongst peers and guests, but i somehow doubt you get a noble going around singing dirty songs in a pub to peasants... for money no less.

if they want to entertain, they hire entertainers (or employ them)... surely? at least that would be the kind of thing that fits with bm

i reckon all the game stores is 30 days' worth of region reports. XD
the rest... people have to put them up in wiki
firefox

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #7: August 05, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
over my dead body.