Author Topic: Barca  (Read 229925 times)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #390: August 30, 2011, 08:15:19 AM »
Does it matter what Julius said? It doesn't go against the federation treaty, so no problems on that ground. And while its all well and good for him to deny SA priests the right to preach or lords the right to build Temple's, if a Senator wanted to build a SA temple, what's he going to do about it? The Senate and Barcan nobility at large have not approved his declaration, so its all just words. Until such time as it is ratified, I don't expect there is much he could do. Anything he could try to do, before that point, could easily be quashed on the grounds of his lacking the right to make that call individually.

Not that I don't see where he's coming from. I wouldn't say its theocratic, that he is part of a religion that opposes or is contesting with SA. It could be, but is there any basis whatsoever to support that? Far more likely that it is political, or in the interests of his realm and the republican system that Barca is trying to achieve. SA talks rather constantly about wanting to dominate Dwilight. An excellent ambition for those in SA. An underlying threat for everyone else who'd rather do their own thing. If SA moderates were heard more and SA extremists less, then maybe impressions would be different, but I'd say the same about those of Muslim faith IRL.

There's no weight behind the partial ban on SA in Barca right now and there might never be. It could be forgotten about or SA could well provide a good reason to justify what Julius wrote. Either way, I suspect Julius and everyone else in Barca is going to put the interests of Barca before the interests of political correctness or being nice to the big bad SA. If SA deals fairly with Barca and the Véinsørmoot, then it would be contrary to Barca's interest to oppose SA in their realm and could end up even welcoming it. Its all up in the air right now, but I don't expect it to be that big a talking point in Barca when there's things like the Port Nebel incident with the Luria's or the Aurvandil/Madina/Caerwyn affair to Barca's south.

SA's great and all, but they're a problem or a perk for another day when they're not the furthest thing from Barca.

Finn.