Author Topic: Barca  (Read 228829 times)

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
Re: Barca
« Reply #165: June 17, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
Honestly I don't know what everyone's complaining about. The fact that SA rolls around and !@#$s !@#$ up if you're a heathen is epic!!!! It makes for great role-play and deepens dwilights culture immensely. Maybe it's just cause we feel safe from crusades in Terran that I feel this way but honestly I think that anyone talking about how awful it was that they were "gang banged" ( stupid term) is focussed to much on winning battle master and not enough on making the most of a situation that can potentially be loads of fun, for both sides.

I agree. Smaller realms could simply pay tribute (and lip service) to SA, bide their time, maybe even infiltrate their ranks... waiting for the right time to strike. Or defect to them, betray your realm, get out when the getting is good. The possibilities for roleplay and interaction are unlimited, no matter who is "winning."

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #166: June 17, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
I agree. Smaller realms could simply pay tribute (and lip service) to SA, bide their time, maybe even infiltrate their ranks... waiting for the right time to strike. Or defect to them, betray your realm, get out when the getting is good. The possibilities for roleplay and interaction are unlimited, no matter who is "winning."

That would be so awesome. But most realms have "too much pride". They refuse to convert and/or pay tribute and so they decide to fight until they die. Which is a shame, really. It would make for even better roleplay to have "subject" kingdoms.
Ardet nec consumitur.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #167: June 17, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »

What gave you the idea that we ask for tribute?  :o
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #168: June 17, 2011, 04:12:11 PM »
What gave you the idea that we ask for tribute?  :o

I was just thinking of an example from history of the relationship between Vietnam and China. While they did war with one another occasionally, Vietnam was a tributary and protectorate state of China, off and on, for many centuries.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169: June 17, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
It's curious to see in what kind of discussion this topic ended...  :D
It's the BattleMaster equivalent of Godwin's Law:  "As a thread on the BattleMaster forum regarding Dwilight or Religion grows longer, the probability of it turning to a discussion of Sanguis Astroism approaches 1 (100%)."
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #170: June 17, 2011, 04:32:31 PM »
I was just thinking of an example from history of the relationship between Vietnam and China. While they did war with one another occasionally, Vietnam was a tributary and protectorate state of China, off and on, for many centuries.

Everything in the Chinese neighbourhood was a tributary state of China.(until Japan became an Empire itself). That's just how the Chinese rolled.
Ardet nec consumitur.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #171: June 17, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
Haha indeed.

Sooo how is Barca holding up anyway? Its held on to all it'd regions, that's a plus. Really though you guys should take advantage of the support from Terran and D'hara more than simply letting us know whenever there's monster literally in the region at that moment. Usually such short notice requests arent fulfilled cause it takes a certain amount of time to organize needed troops and then a certain amount of time to actually get to you and usually by then the monsters have peaced.

That being said I don't really know what kind of system would work better and regardless it should be handled IC...
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #172: June 17, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »

This isn't even that difficult honestly. Take Terran for example. SA loves Terran, and all because they have a couple token members and temples there. You know why that makes such a big impression? Because most realms won't have anything to do with us. We are a proselytizing church after all. The doors are always open to converts.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #173: June 17, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »
Aww I didn't know SA loved Terran . Now I'm getting all bashful.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #174: June 17, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
I think that the Terran who was made an Elder of the church was made one because they were a Terran.   Labell has been a priest for a long long time and the peasantry following in Terran hasn't really changed in a long time.   It isn't the only reason Labell was made an Elder, but him being from the south was a big part.

Terran has 2 SA followers and both have been fairly active in the religion.   Because of that, a lot of nobles from the north would help them if they ever needed it.  I'm surprised that more realms don't pay lip service to SA.  We don't even make our members pay a monthly gold fee.  I imagine there are already many nobles in SA who are merely there for political reasons.   1/3 of our Elders are elected by the full members of the church and anyone can be a full member just by asking.  There is actually some benefit to joining the church.  The politics of it all can be quite intriguing.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #175: June 17, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »
This isn't even that difficult honestly. Take Terran for example. SA loves Terran, and all because they have a couple token members and temples there. You know why that makes such a big impression? Because most realms won't have anything to do with us. We are a proselytizing church after all. The doors are always open to converts.

I think its because most realms feel if you give Sanguis Astroism a foot in the door, they would eventually corrupt the whole realm and turn it into a theocracy. They won't even want to have a priest or a temple for fear of it spreading too far and too much. Like a disease.  ;D

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #176: June 17, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »
At some point you would think other realms would look at Libero Empire, Summerdale and Terran.   We aren't the big bad monster that some make us out to be.   Well,  we would be if Allison had her way...  but that is unlikely to happen.  Caerwyn and crew is making it easier to convince followers to be more warlike.  I doubt it will be possible to trick any other realms into declaring war on the church. 

At some point SA will spread across all of Dwilight.  We won't get temples in every region, but we will get followers in every realm and hopefully at least 1 temple in every realm.  That is what I fear the most.  Because that is when we will turn on each other. Actually, that kinda sounds fun.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177: June 17, 2011, 10:24:53 PM »
At some point you would think other realms would look at Libero Empire, Summerdale and Terran.   We aren't the big bad monster that some make us out to be.   Well,  we would be if Allison had her way...  but that is unlikely to happen.  Caerwyn and crew is making it easier to convince followers to be more warlike.  I doubt it will be possible to trick any other realms into declaring war on the church. 

At some point SA will spread across all of Dwilight.  We won't get temples in every region, but we will get followers in every realm and hopefully at least 1 temple in every realm.  That is what I fear the most.  Because that is when we will turn on each other. Actually, that kinda sounds fun.

It's fun to fight back, too :D Especially when you have fresh prisoners each battle. During peace being judge can get very boring  :-\
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #178: June 18, 2011, 01:13:24 AM »
We were patient. As an outsider, you really have no idea what happened and how long this process was. I appreciate that the end result was not good PR (due in no small part to efforts by Thulsoma's players to spread misinformation), but this affair went on for months. Most people outside the north probably didn't hear about it until it reached the epic proportions that it did at the very end, which took a long time. We eventually grew tired of being insulted and mocked and stalemated on level 7 walls that they never should have had in the first place if they weren't abusing game mechanics. I'm sure that the closing of the loophole had an effect on the war, but honestly I don't even know when that happened in relation to everything else. Do you know why? Because I treated it IC the entire time. We thought they would be easily dispatched. We were wrong. So, we gradually escalated things until we were forced to bring in the full force of 3-4 realms just to end things. This is not in any way a testament to Thulsoma, rather it is an indication of just how serious their abuses were.

Please understand that OOC, I really don't care. I honestly don't. Though I've gotten myself a nice position through wise political players over an extended period of time, Dwilight never was were I dump most of my game time on. OOC, I understand everything that happened there. But nothing that is said on these forums will change my IC feeling towards it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #179: June 18, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »
So....intentionally being stubborn about it. You know, this isn't the only place on Dwilight where you've been rather stubborn to the facts...