Author Topic: Barca  (Read 226689 times)

cjnodell

Re: Barca
« Reply #210: July 22, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »
To take a page from Asylon's book, I am curious to hear how how you all fell about Barca right now? Perspectives from both Barcans and outsiders are welcome!

I personally find things to be a bit too quiet. It is almost as if most people have regulated their character in Barca to a secondary "do the bare minimum" role. Getting anyone interested in debate, role play, planning, or anything else beyond sending orders and following them is quite difficult.

At the same time I am very satisfied with the progress we have made and continue to make. What needs to be don is getting done well, if nothing else. I am eager to see the realm blossom a little and become a bit more "fun"!

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211: July 22, 2011, 09:42:04 PM »
Barca? Well, from here up north you're not big enough, and haven't survived long enough, to bother thinking about. You're, what, the third realm to try and survive in the Rettlewood area?

But your ruler is rude. ;)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212: July 22, 2011, 09:46:35 PM »
Sounds very interesting to me. It would be a realm I wouldn't mind visiting and trying in the future, if it survives, of course.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Rogi

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #213: July 22, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
From inside of Barca I can say that, at least in the recent weeks things are changing for better. Upon entering the winter we suffered a pretty big invasion of monsters and undead. It seemed possible that part of the progress made during the summer and spring came down, but with the help of our allies and a bit of luck, we have emerged stronger from this situation. At the end we have lost nothing of the progress made, and we have progressed more. Now we have an adequate infrastructure with which to work, and we begin to have some incomes to spend on our military, which is beginning to give us a little military autonomy, despite the help of our allies is always welcome and rewarding.

Our regions begin to grow more and more, which is shown in our production of food and gold. Never before have we earned what we are earning now.

In personal terms, I am delighted to interact with both of our allies. We are a small republic with few people now, and this sometimes means that there is not much RP (which could be improved with some enthusiasm). In this sense, constant communication and coordination with our allies helps a lot, since we are not locked in internal communications. I think I can say on behalf of many who began the history of Barca, that our past in Terran allowed us to establish personal ties with the nobles of there, which shows the bond we have now.

I personally find things to be a bit too quiet. It is almost as if most people have regulated their character in Barca to a secondary "do the bare minimum" role. Getting anyone interested in debate, role play, planning, or anything else beyond sending orders and following them is quite difficult.

I have to agree a bit with this idea. I would enjoy much if people discuss (politely) on new proposals to improve our realm. Personally I have proposed some ideas, and we have never discussed it firmly.

Reguarding the future, I would like to see Barca expand a bit more (at least controling two more regions). I think if we could growing and don't find too much troubles or too hard troubles this winter we could expand easily. From my point of view, the greatest difficulty we have now for it is the lack of noble and estates to control the regions properly.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #214: July 23, 2011, 12:21:17 AM »
I wish D'Hara's army would help you guys more. :(
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #215: July 23, 2011, 01:04:27 AM »
I think D'hara's making a comeback in terms of military aide to Barca. There was a bit of a lull for a while but i think the strong presence you guys made in Thysan is signs of good things to come. Ive tried to open up some communication with the D'haran general cause, as others have said, inter realm coordination is always fun.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #216: July 23, 2011, 01:07:41 AM »
I love interacting with Barca. Every time I visit you, I always make new friends. This time some new fellow, a new player and new character, Vairaj I believe, contacted me.

Barcans, if you want some amusement, join the Véinsørmoot, and help me make it the Maroccidental EU. If only BM allowed a common currency or cashable bonds...

I just had a vision of the "Marbond" and the "spread on Barcan-over-Terran bonds falling as confidence rises concerning Barca's survival prospects."

But seriously. Join the Véinsørmoot and help me make something out of it. Terran, D'Hara, and Barca are all actually quite small realms. But, together, we form a pretty large community with a lot to offer one another in terms of RP.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #217: July 23, 2011, 01:08:02 AM »
Most realms have the problem of not as much nobles as they'd like. Barca isn't doing too badly though. Small city and three other regions, with eleven nobles. That's a better situation than a lot of realms from just a quick glance at the realm list and considering the estate support bigger cities require.

Frankly, I'd disagree with the quietness part. Barca has an army now, and Laia's to be commended on keeping things moving there. Think of the previous winter. Barca was down to a single region - Rettleville - at one point. I don't recall a single message being sent through the Senate at that time while now, as mentioned a few posts back, there's discussion on the likes of food supply. Last winter, Barca was definiately a case of just tip away and keep things going. And that's what was needed. It got Barca through the winter. The same is true again, but to a lesser degree and hopefully that will continue into a trend where steadily things improve and the increased travel times, increased monster/undead and decreased region stats will become less and less an issue.

No realm in Dwilight is completely safe, and Barca certainly won't claim anything even close for some time to come, but things arn't going so badly either. At least in my view.

Finton.

P.S. Vellos, think we can start talking defaults for Barca? (",)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:09:57 AM by Carna »

Sabrier

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #218: July 23, 2011, 05:25:40 AM »
I'm glad we have people to make friends with, the Véinsørmoot does a good job of creating the feel of a community. (I'm the player of Vairaj, actually a returning old player, so I know better than to pass up an opportunity to talk to someone.)

I'm curious if you could shed some light on the ranking system of the guild, actually. Are there relevant ranks above Nobelis? What makes on an elder?

Actually, I wonder if guild treasuries could in some way be used to mimic financial markets-put gold into a region's treasury, allowing some to use it to invest, that market goes up. Take it out, that market goes down. Maybe certain people would be qualified to have a larger debt, but would also put more in?

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #219: July 23, 2011, 07:33:38 AM »
The ranks reflect rank in realms. All rulers and dukes in Terran, Barca, and D'Hara are entitled to elderships. All council-level posts are entitled to full membership. Lords and below are applicants.

Problem with guild treasuries is local taxation: taxes sap out a big chunk, allowing the local duke to accumulate vast surpluses (case in point: me). The only viable banking institution is one that can readily accumulate assets, such as through favorable tax status and alternative income sources.

Oh, yeah, a religion.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #220: July 23, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
Barca?

*shrugs*

Shoulda just been a part of Terran if you ask me.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #221: July 23, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »
Barca?

*shrugs*

Shoulda just been a part of Terran if you ask me.

I don't know how I feel about this. Perhaps currently it would make sense if, theoretically speaking, Barca was a part of Terran since they're not self sufficient and would probably have an easier time defending the area if they could use our RCs. But once they are set up it will free up the Lowlands almost entirely allowing us to help expand into the north which, with Caerwyn falling, is very viable for us. A buffer around Shoka will allow for enormous growth in Shokalom, more than we would gain from holding Rettlewood.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #222: July 23, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »
I don't know how I feel about this. Perhaps currently it would make sense if, theoretically speaking, Barca was a part of Terran since they're not self sufficient and would probably have an easier time defending the area if they could use our RCs. But once they are set up it will free up the Lowlands almost entirely allowing us to help expand into the north which, with Caerwyn falling, is very viable for us. A buffer around Shoka will allow for enormous growth in Shokalom, more than we would gain from holding Rettlewood.

More importantly, a weak or nonexistent Caerwyn will be less able to contain monster-spawns. Meaning that, as Caerwyn weakens, the pressure of monsters on our northern borders will increase. Thus, even to hold what we presently have, we will need a continually escalating supply of strength, which will have to come from our southern front and from new holdings in the north.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223: July 23, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »
I don't know how I feel about this.

Lol. I was mostly joking/being an imperialist.

My character rarely even enters our southern Duchy these days and so oddly Barca seems very far away from me most of the time.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #224: July 23, 2011, 07:31:11 PM »
More kingdoms the merrier!.... for drama, I might add.
We live lives in beautiful lies...