Author Topic: Barca  (Read 228809 times)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #240: July 24, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
D'Hara's also said to have two problems. Starvation and TMP. If Barca can help alleviate the food deficit, it'd help D'Hara solve the TMP issue by assisting Barca more than they have recently. Winter is over in 4 days, which should help too with improved travel times. Something the Barcan leadership should probably be discussing, and conferring with their allies.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #241: July 24, 2011, 07:31:48 PM »
D'Hara's problems were mostly due lack of coordination since our General was busy IRL. With our new General, we already have troops back to fighting. I expect D'Hara to be fully back soon. D'Hara worries mostly about food, but we did well this Winter :)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #242: July 24, 2011, 08:25:42 PM »
Barca probably has enough nobles (or will have enough) to maintain 2 more regions. The obvious choices are Nark and Kydonia, as both are still semi-close to the capital, reasonably supportable by allies, and, if taken, they leave Rettlewood sheltered from major attacks. If Aurvandil took Lusitania and Barca took Kydonia, then Celtiberia would be sheltered as well. Under such circumstances of rising population, good allied support, a ready market for food, and no immediate monster threats, Celtiberia could become a major food exporter.

In fact, Celtiberia has the highest food production of any region in the currently settled Maroccidental realms. Nark and Kydonia (then Aurvandil in Lusitania) would allow it to become a goldmine for Barca and significantly shorten Paisly's supply lines.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #243: July 24, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »
D'Hara's problems were mostly due lack of coordination since our General was busy IRL. With our new General, we already have troops back to fighting. I expect D'Hara to be fully back soon. D'Hara worries mostly about food, but we did well this Winter :)

Yea, we are in fights already.

Now, if only I had better estate coverage for production...

And if only I still had infrastructure...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #244: July 24, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Is Aurvandil ready to take another region though?
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Sabrier

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #245: July 24, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »
Is Aurvandil going to be alive much longer? It seemed like it for a bit, but the talk in the Madinan civil war thread seems to indicate otherwise. But maybe that's just Madinans talking themselves up.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #246: July 24, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »
It'll be a stalemate at best for a long while just by looking at military stats. Aurvandil's really shooting themselves in the foot though by having ZERO interaction with their neighbors who could potentially aide them immensely and probably have, or at least had at one point, the will to do so.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #247: July 24, 2011, 11:30:29 PM »
I wonder why they can't just agree to a division of territories. I mean, Madina has that entire island that is completely self-sufficient. They have what I think to be the best geographical location for a stable realm that can afford to go on overseas quests against monsters to rid themselves of potential TMP. They have highly defensible entry points in Madina and Tower Fatmilak as well.

Pride, maybe. Meh. Leave it to the silly humans lol.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #248: July 24, 2011, 11:45:32 PM »
Yeah, Celtiberia is definitely a region to love. Its partially why I suspected and still suspect that Nark will be the first of the two taken. Celtiberia's population is shooting up while being the only thing limiting improvement in production. It is or will be pumping out food, especially after winter has ended. Barca won't be short food to export, so the other reasons to take Nark will spring up. Even cosmetic reasons :)

I think Aurvandil's wiki claims to have some good relations with Barca and D'Hara, but as far as I'm aware that's been fairly limited contact between the rulers. Not exactly making trade agreements or talking about sharing military support.

Meh.

Finton.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #249: July 25, 2011, 12:38:48 AM »
Yeah, Celtiberia is definitely a region to love. Its partially why I suspected and still suspect that Nark will be the first of the two taken. Celtiberia's population is shooting up while being the only thing limiting improvement in production. It is or will be pumping out food, especially after winter has ended. Barca won't be short food to export, so the other reasons to take Nark will spring up. Even cosmetic reasons :)

Celtiberia's food production is a reason to take Kydonia first, not Nark. Taking Kydonia provides a buffer zone against monsters for Celtiberia. Taking Nark creates one for Thysan. And I imagine Nark is harder to hold due to bordering Eregon and Twainwood.

I think Aurvandil's wiki claims to have some good relations with Barca and D'Hara, but as far as I'm aware that's been fairly limited contact between the rulers. Not exactly making trade agreements or talking about sharing military support.

We tried to forge some higher-level contacts. They ignored us.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #250: July 25, 2011, 05:04:37 AM »
I wonder why they can't just agree to a division of territories. I mean, Madina has that entire island that is completely self-sufficient. They have what I think to be the best geographical location for a stable realm that can afford to go on overseas quests against monsters to rid themselves of potential TMP. They have highly defensible entry points in Madina and Tower Fatmilak as well.

Pride, maybe. Meh. Leave it to the silly humans lol.

I could perfectly understand Madina for not wanting this, though. If they agree to peace, and then reclaim the rest of their island, I imagine we can agree that Fatmilak would make a !@#$ty capital? But if they make Madina their capital, then it would become incredibly easier for Aurvandil to takeover tower Fatmilak, and it would then be extremely difficult to dislodge them as it is adjacent to their capital. This would grant Aurvandil the ability to attack Madina with impunity if they chose to do so. And since I don't see a friendship emerging, it'd be very likely that, given the opportunity, they'd jump on it.

We tried to forge some higher-level contacts. They ignored us.

Yea, even when I visited and tried to talk to their nobles. I *really* wanted to bring them into our sphere of influence, but their total lack of diplomatic skill and will to form any form of relations with us made me completely give up on them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #251: July 25, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
Ok hear me out:

Yes Madina sucks (from an IC perspective of course) BUT they are a republic, and thats something right?

What if we put all our enmity behind us helped them invade Aurvandil on the condition that they repopulate Candiels peninsula. Totally benefits all sides. They crush rebels, we gain ally in area, diplomatically clumsy Aurvandil is destroyed

Hmmm?? ;D ;D

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #252: July 25, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »
Ok hear me out:

Yes Madina sucks (from an IC perspective of course) BUT they are a republic, and thats something right?

What if we put all our enmity behind us helped them invade Aurvandil on the condition that they repopulate Candiels peninsula. Totally benefits all sides. They crush rebels, we gain ally in area, diplomatically clumsy Aurvandil is destroyed

Hmmm?? ;D ;D

Estates makes it impossible, unless they chose to completely forego their old lands. Which I doubt. Unless all of Aurvandil's nobles fold back into Madina, which I doubt even more.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253: July 25, 2011, 02:31:59 PM »
BUT they are a republic, and thats something right?
That only makes it worse.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254: July 25, 2011, 06:43:40 PM »
That only makes it worse.

Begone, you theocrat!
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).