Author Topic: Barca  (Read 226704 times)

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #375: August 30, 2011, 05:05:30 AM »
Lol wasnt directed at Pel or LN ... Directed at the mishmash realms that tout the evil of SA but basically have the same governments/religious structure....the pot calling the kettle black etc

They will never beat SA... It's like cheap chinese knock-off against name brand. The only way to beat SA is to stand for tolerance. A create real republics and monarchies that are not merely a cheap reflection.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Sabrier

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #376: August 30, 2011, 05:07:44 AM »
In order to have a theocratic republic, we would have to have a state religion. I honestly don't even know what religion Julius is.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #377: August 30, 2011, 05:12:24 AM »
Im just saying, i thought barca was a nation along the lines of Terran.  So whybother banning priests of a certain religion then? It would seem there is already some sort state religion secretly pulling the strings of the republic....my bad

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #378: August 30, 2011, 05:13:39 AM »
Lol wasnt directed at Pel or LN ... Directed at the mishmash realms that tout the evil of SA but basically have the same governments/religious structure....the pot calling the kettle black etc

They will never beat SA... It's like cheap chinese knock-off against name brand. The only way to beat SA is to stand for tolerance. A create real republics and monarchies that are not merely a cheap reflection.

Then you should probably learn to use the quote button effectively, or not use language such as "your realm" when responding to a comment from someone from another realm.

Banning SA priest is actually a time honoured tradition, from a time when doing so made a lot of sense as certain SA members used to threaten to use any foothold of their religion in your realm as a reason to dictate policy, something they have not done in many years. There was also the fact that some people in non SA realms that wanted to usurp power would join SA build a temple in their region then lie about their "persecution" to get more and more SA support.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Sabrier

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #379: August 30, 2011, 05:18:19 AM »
Barca is fairly similar to Terran, but with a rather activist Suffete wielding a large amount of power. It happens that Julius is not a particular fan of SA, largely, if I understand correctly, because he is concerned about it gaining political power, not because he has some sort of theological issue with it.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #380: August 30, 2011, 05:22:57 AM »
Typing on a phone...sometimes miss who is talking. To clarify, I like Barca and root for it. It's just it would probably be better idea to not create enemies oit of thin air. SA is varied and composed of many different types. People like me...

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #381: August 30, 2011, 05:23:23 AM »
In order to have a theocratic republic, we would have to have a state religion.

We have pseudo-state-religions in Terran now. Sanguis Astroism and Triunism hold special legal privileges, and other religions have slightly restricted access.

Nobody in Terran is hyper-critical of Sanguis Astroism, or at least not public. I have nothing against SA. I don't want a modern Republic.

It's worth noting that ancient Greek republics had a state religion. I seem to recall Socrates drinking hemlock after being convicted of charges which included theological deviations of various kinds.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #382: August 30, 2011, 05:34:54 AM »
We have pseudo-state-religions in Terran now. Sanguis Astroism and Triunism hold special legal privileges, and other religions have slightly restricted access.

Nobody in Terran is hyper-critical of Sanguis Astroism, or at least not public. I have nothing against SA. I don't want a modern Republic.

It's worth noting that ancient Greek republics had a state religion. I seem to recall Socrates drinking hemlock after being convicted of charges which included theological deviations of various kinds.

Then obviously Greek Republics are not "real" republics, as defined by the resident expert of political systems, Glaumring.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #383: August 30, 2011, 05:37:53 AM »
I am actually all for greek republic in game.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #384: August 30, 2011, 05:40:25 AM »
There was also the fact that some people in non SA realms that wanted to usurp power would join SA build a temple in their region then lie about their "persecution" to get more and more SA support.

That really only happened in Springdale with the whole Virovene affair, and we've never lived it down since. There was that lord in Caerwyn who built a temple then raised cane when Caerwyn tried to punish him for it, but the moderates in the Church completely blocked any attempt to interfere in Caerwyn's internal affairs over that incident. The same thing happened more recently when Asylon kicked out the Duchess of Echiur for doing the same thing; moderates in the Church (mostly me, actually, but I was Vasilif of Astrum at the time) immediately moved to quash the protests of Glaumring and Sianon and nothing came of it in the end.

It's interesting to see how events from three real life years ago have taken on such an enduring life in the political mythology of Dwilight.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #385: August 30, 2011, 05:44:30 AM »
Ummmmm I was not for nor endorsed the temple built in Echuir.

Lopeyschools

• Knight
  • Meow Meow Secret Mission Meow
    • View Profile
« Reply #386: August 30, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »
I was kind of dissing your form of Republic, maybe you didn't get my oh so witty humour. Republic' to indicate rule by many and by laws, is one term. Basically by unilaterally limiting the movement of priests and religion within the republic without public referendum you go against the spirit of Republic. Instead what you have is a dictatorship. Caerwyn became a theocratic Oligarchy, a state controlled by the ruling priest class one that went against the idea of republic, using false information and propaganda, fear to control thought within the state and only allow certain forms of ideas as long as they did not go against the Theocratic state.  Sounds kind of like what had happened in modern Iran, or Cambodia circa the Khmer rouge.

Caerwyn a theocratic oligarchy? Only Baal was a Priest to my knowledge and that was after he stepped down from the position of Archon. Caerwyn banned SA preaching and temples under a public referendum long ago I started playing there, but nobles were free to be followers if they desired it.  I would compare Caerwyn to the anti-communist era in the States more then Iran or Khmer rouge. 

If the new colony gets going in Candiels, I hoping to angle Caerwyn towards having more of a roman/greek style republic.
Kula (Ibladesh), Lucius (Caligan Empire), Graviel (Caerwyn)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #387: August 30, 2011, 05:48:03 AM »
Ummmmm I was not for nor endorsed the temple built in Echuir.

Yes, but you certainly weren't shy about making a scene in the Church over what happened after Sianon built it.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #388: August 30, 2011, 05:49:13 AM »
That really only happened in Springdale with the whole Virovene affair, and we've never lived it down since. There was that lord in Caerwyn who built a temple then raised cane when Caerwyn tried to punish him for it, but the moderates in the Church completely blocked any attempt to interfere in Caerwyn's internal affairs over that incident. The same thing happened more recently when Asylon kicked out the Duchess of Echiur for doing the same thing; moderates in the Church (mostly me, actually, but I was Vasilif of Astrum at the time) immediately moved to quash the protests of Glaumring and Sianon and nothing came of it in the end.

It's interesting to see how events from three real life years ago have taken on such an enduring life in the political mythology of Dwilight.

Two D'Hara nobles used the threat of SA to maintain their power, though it was mostly believed that is was all bluff, we did have the Dragon Queen at the time, so it was prudent not to push the issue and find out.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #389: August 30, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »

Probably not appropriate on Dwilight. Italian medieval city state republics would fit with the current Europe focused SMA, though given the influence of Greek thinking on western Europe, you could probably make a case for it. I presume you refer to the Athens style republic, because like so many things no two Greek City states agreed on the principles of a republic, not even all city states WHERE republics.