Author Topic: Barca  (Read 228491 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #405: August 30, 2011, 10:39:01 PM »
What about the case for Summerdale or Libero? Are they theocracies?just a question.

Having had a char in Summerdale until quite recently, I'd say they are absolutely not a theocracy. Don't know about Libero.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #406: August 30, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
I do not believe they are ruled by the church, but the SA has a large influence in those lands, right?
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #407: August 30, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »
No, they aren't. Not by a long shot.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #408: August 30, 2011, 11:36:12 PM »
Then what faith has its presence in those lands? If it is not SA, what would be logical as being surrounded by nothing but SA theocracies..

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409: August 30, 2011, 11:44:25 PM »
Then what faith has its presence in those lands? If it is not SA, what would be logical as being surrounded by nothing but SA theocracies..

Horrible Pagans? :D
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #410: August 30, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
Having SA hold a significant presence in a realm, whether in nobles or in number of peasants following the religion, does not a theocracy make. For one, a Theocracy is a government run by the religion, not secular in power. Two, by your definition Asylon is a theocracy, seeing as they allow SA to be practiced and preached in their realm.

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #411: August 31, 2011, 12:11:46 AM »
Then by that definition so is Summerdale and Libero. A theocracy in my opinion would be a realm with a singular religion. Question : Does SA tolerate any outside religions to preach within the primary theocracies?
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #412: August 31, 2011, 12:28:34 AM »
A theocracy in my opinion would be a realm with a singular religion.

I'm afraid your opinion doesn't get to redefine well-known words like theocracy.

To be a theocracy, a realm must be ruled by the religion.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #413: August 31, 2011, 12:35:13 AM »
Our realm hosts 3 religions. Once ruled by botg VE and SA.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

Meneldur

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #414: August 31, 2011, 02:12:10 AM »
I'm afraid your opinion doesn't get to redefine well-known words like theocracy.

To be a theocracy, a realm must be ruled by the religion.

Despite dictionary definitions what constitutes a theocracy, particularly a BM theocracy, is a tricky question. None of the SA "theocracies" are not ruled by SA itself, rather they are ruled and guided by SA beliefs (a significant difference). Secular politics is very much out of the Church's control and there are occasional conflicts between secular and ecclesiastical authorities.

To put it another way, the SA theocracies are more like modern "Islamic republics" than the Vatican City; the government itself is separate from the religious institution but the realm's laws are still governed by the tenants of the religion, and its decisions are still guided by religious principles.

This would differ from a realm like the Libero Empire, which has a majority and influential Astroist population (I would not include Summerdale in this category as while there are significant Astroist nobles and temples they are neither the majority nor hugely influential) because while individual nobles might be influenced by Astroist beliefs the Empire's decisions and laws are not primarily guided by/based on the tenants of SA in a truly meaningful way.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #415: August 31, 2011, 02:43:17 AM »
Question : Does SA tolerate any outside religions to preach within the primary theocracies?
At one time Morek, the original theocracy of SA, hosted two separate religions: SA and the Seven. (The Seven was founded in Springdale, and came to Morek when the Springdale duchy swapped allegiance to Morek. I tried to convince Morek to wipe them out, but they wouldn't listen to me. >:( ) Astrum has never allowed a competing religion, and I don't think Corsanctum has, either. Since the Seven disappeared (mostly due to the players in it just giving it up), there hasn't really been a religion to really compete in the north. Hredmonath tried, but they were a tool of the saxon kingdom. No one like them, and no one liked their religion, either. It didn't last very long after Thulsoma started poking the bear with a pointy stick.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #416: August 31, 2011, 07:50:48 AM »
I tried to convince Morek to wipe them out, but they wouldn't listen to me. >:( )

It was easier to wipe them out by telling you we weren't going to wipe them out than by telling you we were.

Since the Seven disappeared (mostly due to the players in it just giving it up),

A fair amount of them actually converted to SA.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #417: August 31, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »

At least in Libero there should be no other relevant religion around. Don't forget that Springdale Duchy has been a part of Morek for a while, and even if we had our problems to get along with them, overall they started to be converted and I believe now the majority of Libero follows the stars, with temples everywhere. That said, they are not a theocracy and thus will not shape their politics according to the goals and problems of the SA church, even if their secular ties with Morek will likely make them side with the theocracies most of the times.

To put it another way, the SA theocracies are more like modern "Islamic republics" than the Vatican City; the government itself is separate from the religious institution but the realm's laws are still governed by the tenants of the religion, and its decisions are still guided by religious principles.

I think that's a reasonably good comparison.

It didn't last very long after Thulsoma started poking the bear with a pointy stick.

That made me chuckle.  ;D

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #418: September 02, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
The Republic is expanding again. The people of Nark hail to us now.

Still less population than Caerwyn. Damn you Farrowfield.  :D

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #419: September 02, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
The Republic is expanding again. The people of Nark hail to us now.

Right now Barca has 2.5 nobles/region, can you still expand more?