Author Topic: Barca  (Read 226707 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #510: October 14, 2011, 06:51:00 AM »
Hey, I was lord of Kybyell for a while.. yeah nothing too spectacular about the place. But why the annoyance?

It was the name of a brief colony in Wayburg (AT), and the "conversations" that resulted after Abington started retaking the city resulted in the first time I put someone on my ignore list.  Took four years before I put someone else on it, at that.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #511: October 14, 2011, 06:51:38 AM »
I love Kid's Rock, forget who suggest Tom name  region as that...

I also wish I was Lord of Smokey Hills...  ::)

You could become!  ;)
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512: October 14, 2011, 10:42:13 AM »

Yea, I don't like Aquitaine, Valkyrja or Wurzburg either, but my character is luckily far away from those. Lusitania, Celtiberia and Gallaecia  are not my preferred names either, but perhaps that is just me being picky.

Not perhaps. ;)

I quite like Aquitaine. Sounds Roman. And Valkyrja sounds nordic. So both good in my books.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #513: October 16, 2011, 09:43:01 PM »
... or Wurzburg either, but my character is luckily far away from those. Lusitania, Celtiberia and Gallaecia  are not my preferred names either, but perhaps that is just me being picky.
Yes, you are being picky.  :D Those regions have something Germanic/Celtic, and fit well into Dwilight's SMA.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #514: October 16, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »
Some names I like a lot, like Shokalom, and some I think are a little strange perhaps, like Vashgew or Gretchew, but I can live with all the names for the most part..

except Faithhill....

a pun based on the name of a country singer??? Theres no historical or geographical significance to it.. just a dusty pop culture reference...
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #515: October 17, 2011, 12:54:30 AM »
Yes, you are being picky.  :D Those regions have something Germanic/Celtic, and fit well into Dwilight's SMA.

Yea, I am being picky, but it's just that I don't like RL world references in the regions.
Lusitania = Roman province, modern Portugal.
Celtiberia = Celtic Iberia.
Gallaecia = Hispania Gallaecia, modern Galicia.

Yes, they are not as explicit as Wurzburg or Aquitaine, but the same principle applies.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516: October 17, 2011, 01:09:32 AM »
Yea, I am being picky, but it's just that I don't like RL world references in the regions.
Celtiberia = Celtic Iberia.
Gallaecia = Hispania Gallaecia, modern Galicia.

Yes, they are not as explicit as Wurzburg or Aquitaine, but the same principle applies.

I can understand that.

The game began with RL world references though. Look at East Continent (the oldest map). Karbala (Iraq), Viseu (Portugal), Troyes (France), Oroya (Peru) and so on.

But other maps have a lot more made up names I think?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #517: October 17, 2011, 01:35:53 AM »
Indeed, and I personally much prefer them to be made-up names. When I see Shinnen, Sulorte, Smokey Hills I see a white paper in where to write. When I see RL name references I see a lot of luggage it carries within, which while I can ignore, it will be always coming back. It's like playing in an already themed region, in a way.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #518: October 17, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »
Indeed, and I personally much prefer them to be made-up names. When I see Shinnen, Sulorte, Smokey Hills I see a white paper in where to write. When I see RL name references I see a lot of luggage it carries within, which while I can ignore, it will be always coming back. It's like playing in an already themed region, in a way.

I have absolutely no objection to real-world locations, provided the names date back to the period we are mimicking.

I find region names like Faithhill, Kid's Rock, and Dantooine childish, and think that whoever suggested them as possibilities for Dwilight should be ashamed of himself.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #519: October 17, 2011, 01:40:32 AM »
I find region names like Faithhill, Kid's Rock, and Dantooine childish, and think that whoever suggested them as possibilities for Dwilight should be ashamed of himself.

Come on, now tell us how you really feel!

8)

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #520: October 17, 2011, 02:21:48 AM »
I have absolutely no objection to real-world locations, provided the names date back to the period we are mimicking.

Faithhill is just annoying to spell. I don't like the 2 H's.

Kid's Rock... I'm okay with. It sounds like it could be a plausible name. And the surrounding regions seem similarly themed.

Dantooine has always bothered me.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #521: October 17, 2011, 02:26:48 AM »

The region names were decided well before Dwilight was announced as an SMA continent, weren't they?  I thought that was one of the major issues with the European only rule too, that a lot of the names aren't European so people were developing non-European ideas.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #522: October 17, 2011, 02:46:23 AM »

I always thought Lusitania was a reference to the ship that was sunk in WWI and prompted the US to declare war. Which, I think, is not a bad reference for a region name.

and while I can appreciate the "blank page" argument, its also nice to have some sort of indication as to the style of the city, ie. Wurzberg German style. I think of it as "lined paper", if you will.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #523: October 17, 2011, 02:47:37 AM »
The region names were decided well before Dwilight was announced as an SMA continent, weren't they?  I thought that was one of the major issues with the European only rule too, that a lot of the names aren't European so people were developing non-European ideas.

European-only rule came in pretty darn late in Dwi's development. Right as it was being released, actually, I believe.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #524: October 17, 2011, 03:08:51 AM »
I always thought Lusitania was a reference to the ship that was sunk in WWI and prompted the US to declare war. Which, I think, is not a bad reference for a region name.

The name of that ship is a reference to the Lusitania I mention. In the same way the Bismark battleship is a reference to Otto Von Bismark.

and while I can appreciate the "blank page" argument, its also nice to have some sort of indication as to the style of the city, ie. Wurzberg German style. I think of it as "lined paper", if you will.

Unterstrom and Weinschenk are German-style names. Wurzburg is a very, very famous German city. More of an extremely detailed fresco than lined paper.