Author Topic: Barca  (Read 228816 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #525: October 17, 2011, 03:30:52 AM »
Wurzburg is a very, very famous German city. More of an extremely detailed fresco than lined paper.

Never heard of it.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #526: October 17, 2011, 08:18:45 AM »
We'd probably feel the same if it was Winnipeg or something, Chenier.
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #527: October 17, 2011, 09:47:42 AM »
@JPierreD, did you already knew those things, or did you feel like googling all regions of Dwilight?  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #528: October 17, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
@JPierreD, did you already knew those things, or did you feel like googling all regions of Dwilight?  ;)

I live in Brazil, were Lusitania is a poetic way of referencing to Portugal, and the Luso- prefix means Portugal. I'm of French descent, so Aquitaine is not unknown to me. The first time I learned about Wurzburg was probably because of the Bishopric of Wurzburg in the HRE (Europa Universalis FTW!). I didn't know Valkyrja was the Old Norse for the Valkyries, but the relation was evident. Celtiberia is pretty intuitive. Gallaecia was the one I less knew about, it ticked my mind because I supposed it was one of the many Galicias, but didn't know which one.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #529: October 17, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »
The names for Dqilight where submited by the comunity.
There many reference to ancient european (barbarian) peoples or places or the usernames of some devs who made the island (Giask and Darfix).
But also to (modern) literature, like the game of thrones series.

More about it, read this page:

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/West_Continent/Region_Name_Proposals
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #530: October 17, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »
(Europa Universalis FTW!).

Hell yes.

I've been playing so much EU3 this past week.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #531: October 17, 2011, 07:12:30 PM »
The region names were decided well before Dwilight was announced as an SMA continent, weren't they?  I thought that was one of the major issues with the European only rule too, that a lot of the names aren't European so people were developing non-European ideas.

SMA is irrelevant here.  Unless we were setting up an island to specifically be a parody, I wouldn't want names like that on it.  They're so totally against the feel of BM in general, they should never have even been considered.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #532: October 17, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
SMA is irrelevant here.  Unless we were setting up an island to specifically be a parody, I wouldn't want names like that on it.  They're so totally against the feel of BM in general, they should never have even been considered.

For all I knew, there was going to be an Outer Tilog on Dwilight.  I know there was one group talking about doing something that was close to that end of the silliness scale.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #533: October 17, 2011, 07:17:40 PM »
Why is there not a region named Ni!?

C'mon, we have a problem with Knights being loyal/proud of their region... name a region Ni and see what happens!
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #534: October 17, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »
Why is there not a region named Ni!?

C'mon, we have a problem with Knights being loyal/proud of their region... name a region Ni and see what happens!

haha, good one!
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #535: October 17, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »
Unless we were setting up an island to specifically be a parody,

Which sounds like a LOT of fun.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #536: October 18, 2011, 01:32:51 AM »
I wouldn't even mind playing on an actual map of Europe. I think it could be pretty fun.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #537: October 18, 2011, 01:41:21 AM »
I wouldn't even mind playing on an actual map of Europe. I think it could be pretty fun.

I think it would, too—but it would be very, very different from Dwilight.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538: October 18, 2011, 02:39:56 AM »
I think it would, too—but it would be very, very different from Dwilight.

Neither would I. A map of Europe, a Parody map or another themed map, but then the ambient would be different. I would rather let Europe and Parody stay out of Dwilight.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #539: October 18, 2011, 04:56:41 AM »
Neither would I. A map of Europe, a Parody map or another themed map, but then the ambient would be different. I would rather let Europe and Parody stay out of Dwilight.

A Europe Parody Map would have at least one of my chars on it, guaranteed ;)  I love the SMA of Dwilight, but a really silly place would probably kill me with RP :D

Though we kinda already have a bit of that - since FEI is a map of England and Scotland.   It works well, no reason a Europe map wouldn't.