Author Topic: Barca  (Read 228742 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Barca
« Reply #615: December 05, 2011, 01:09:37 AM »
I read like 100 pages, and was like "wtf, this is AWFULLY familiar..."

Then I looked it up on the internet to know how the rest of the plot unfolds. My fear war confirmed: it IS a blatant copy-paste of Star Wars into a fantasy setting. Honestly, I'm surprised the guy hasn't been sued by Lucas Arts for plagiarism (or did he?). Every single plot hook is the same as in the original trilogy.

The evil dude (I don't even know who the evil dude is) is his father?! The dragon and/or the elf chick is really his twin sister (how the heck would that even work)?! Wut?!?!?!

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #616: December 05, 2011, 01:10:18 AM »
I read like 100 pages, and was like "wtf, this is AWFULLY familiar..."

Then I looked it up on the internet to know how the rest of the plot unfolds. My fear war confirmed: it IS a blatant copy-paste of Star Wars into a fantasy setting. Honestly, I'm surprised the guy hasn't been sued by Lucas Arts for plagiarism (or did he?). Every single plot hook is the same as in the original trilogy.

Probably because Lucas Arts don't want anyone thinking too carefully about where THEY got the plot for Star Wars from.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #617: December 05, 2011, 01:15:56 AM »
The evil dude (I don't even know who the evil dude is) is his father?! The dragon and/or the elf chick is really his twin sister (how the heck would that even work)?! Wut?!?!?!

Did you read it?

If not, then indeed, the bad guy is his father. He was raised by his uncle. Which died while he was out discovering his dragon. As for the elf chick, I don't know, but if you look it up, you could surely find it.

Probably because Lucas Arts don't want anyone thinking too carefully about where THEY got the plot for Star Wars from.

Well, if he did copy it off somewhere else, it's not morally better, but at least it's not as blatant...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #618: December 05, 2011, 01:44:47 AM »
Did you read it?

If not, then indeed, the bad guy is his father. He was raised by his uncle. Which died while he was out discovering his dragon. As for the elf chick, I don't know, but if you look it up, you could surely find it.

Well, if he did copy it off somewhere else, it's not morally better, but at least it's not as blatant...

The evil guy isn't his father.  It turns out that his mentor, Brom was actually his father...
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #619: December 05, 2011, 01:49:09 AM »
I don't care about who his daddy was! I just wanna know who the kid's twin sister was! Was it the elf chick? Or the dragon? Does he end up with the elf chick or dragon? Or whatever else? Is there anyone else? I thought he just had that elf chick or something, and the dragon met some other dragon that was the last of his kind and they were supposed to do something, but I never read far enough to find out. EragonxSaphira (Or whatever that blue dragon's name is) lololol

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #620: December 05, 2011, 03:08:41 AM »
The evil guy isn't his father.  It turns out that his mentor, Brom was actually his father...

I thought I read that the bad guy was his father...

Well, I guess perhaps it isn't 100% plagiarism as I thought it was.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #621: December 05, 2011, 04:52:00 AM »

Well, I guess perhaps it isn't 100% plagiarism as I thought it was.

He also borrowed quite a bit from Tolkien and some other authors.

The 4th book of the trilogy (don't start) is out in stores now, I saw it yesterday.

FYI, he wrote the first book when he was 14. So give him a little credit. But the series is just a religous-political commentary, where the atheistic elves are the enlightened scientists who meditate and are all New Age-y, while the religious dwarves are foolish barbarians with superstitions. I read fantasy to escape reality, not read a commentary on reality.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #622: December 05, 2011, 06:09:47 AM »
He also borrowed quite a bit from Tolkien and some other authors.

The 4th book of the trilogy (don't start) is out in stores now, I saw it yesterday.

FYI, he wrote the first book when he was 14. So give him a little credit. But the series is just a religous-political commentary, where the atheistic elves are the enlightened scientists who meditate and are all New Age-y, while the religious dwarves are foolish barbarians with superstitions. I read fantasy to escape reality, not read a commentary on reality.

Good for haven been written 14 year old doesn't mean good. I read for the worth of the book, not the author.

School lecture lists were littered with these things, though. Hardly any of the books I read in school were actually good, and these only came at the end anyways. It's like they take us for morons... -.-

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #623: December 05, 2011, 06:11:40 AM »
Good for haven been written 14 year old doesn't mean good. I read for the worth of the book, not the author.

School lecture lists were littered with these things, though. Hardly any of the books I read in school were actually good, and these only came at the end anyways. It's like they take us for morons... -.-

How interesting, we just read Shakespeare for High School, oh and 1984 - Brave New World, stuff like that.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #624: December 05, 2011, 03:16:57 PM »

I thought this was a Dwilight thread!  ;)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #625: December 05, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »
Dwilight...So...some kid finds a "dragon" egg in Dragon's Roost, and er...Brom Silverfire all the way in PeL is the kid's father?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #626: December 05, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
Dwilight...So...some kid finds a "dragon" egg in Dragon's Roost, and er...Brom Silverfire all the way in PeL is the kid's father?

I knew the Lurians were up to no good.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #627: December 05, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
I knew the Lurians were up to no good.

Looks like hard evidence to me!
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #628: December 05, 2011, 10:10:09 PM »
Looks like hard evidence to me!

Sure is!

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #629: December 05, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
So who's the kid's twin sister that he doesn't know is actually his sister, and the jerk dude who ends up getting hooked up with his sister. This is all very important detail you know.