Author Topic: Barca  (Read 226701 times)

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Barca
« Topic Start: March 28, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
Ack, settling and starting up a new colony is so slow that it gets frustrating.  There is only one recruitment center that still hasn't recruited anyone.  And I built a scouts guild but it took ages to make one scout available.  Doing nothing but wait is getting a little bit boring. 

songqu88@gmail.com

Re: Barca
« Reply #1: March 28, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
You are centered in Rettleville, which has poor income for a city, surrounded by some regions that are okay with food but not so good for income, and occasionally swarming with monsters. The fact that with 10 nobles you aren't screaming about how there are monsters crawling around you is a good sign.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 28, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
That's what Dwilight gives you! Does Terran frequently stop by or do they just send gold/food? That city has been riddled with failure, if I was to create a colony I would look to Flowrestown or Shinnen, but that would require the support of the Giask or PeL, which is unlikely until a few wars have been finished.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #3: March 28, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
Having tried a colony in Flowrestown I can say that it's not that simple. The geography is a bit oppressive as the expansion direction is rather awkward with the Balance's Retreat mountains splitting any cohesive region borders. Flowrestown also requires quite a bit of food, being fourth overall (I think...It goes Darfix, Giask, Golden Farrow, Flowrestown, something else, don't care...)

I also had that stint in Ordenstaat with Rettleville. That was also rather difficult, for the aforementioned reasons of monsters. Oh yeah, and there were some really strange dealings and counterdealings. To make the story relatively not complex, Milmice talked to Garret, Garret tried to play Milmice, Milmice vowed Garret would be dead or something, Milmice got executed. Arden found out before Milmice died about Garret's supposed dealings, called him out, Garret got mad and messed up Rettleville then left. Arden vowed to hunt down Garret and his descendants or something, then Arden died or something after his fiasco in PeL. Meh.

Ok, so basically, Rettleville is a pretty darn tough place to maintain, even though it isn't too bad once you get the security. Its regions are pretty easy to feed, assuming you can get the food to the peasants' mouths and not the monsters'.

Gloria

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 28, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

Ok, so basically, Rettleville is a pretty darn tough place to maintain, even though it isn't too bad once you get the security. Its regions are pretty easy to feed, assuming you can get the food to the peasants' mouths and not the monsters'.

I think we're getting peasants to the monster's mouths.  Problem solved.
 :P

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #5: March 28, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
And so the income would be pretty low, second in lowness only to...well, I don't think any human realm with regions right now has a lower income, or for that matter, maximum income with their current regions. You might have beaten Thulsoma when they still had Storm's Keep though, but at one point Rettleville was down to 1 peasant.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 29, 2011, 04:01:09 AM »
It is pretty impractical to rely on a new colonies RC's on Dwilight. You are centred in a region with poor population. Even with the new immigration code, population is going to be very slow to build up. That is why it is so important to get support from a realm close by.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 29, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »
That is why it is so important to get support from a realm close by.

Indeed, and Barca has solid support from both Terran and D'Hara. It will be very slow going, but Barca will definitely succeed where Ordenstaat failed.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8: March 29, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
@ Gloria - Laia has recruited a scout from Rettlewood. But nevertheless, things are going a little slower than anticipated. Where Giask received hundreds of new immigrations and births per day, Rettleville only grows with circa 15 peasants a day. But there is hope, Rettlewood recently received 72 new peasants and I hope to align Thysan to our realm. The regions is adjacent to Terran and D'Hara, which hopefully aids in the growth of our total population. I know we can hold on to it because all our estates will be perfect.

-------

Starting a new colony anywhere else wouldn't be any easier. As most of us descend from Giask, Shinnen was no option due to our conflict with Pian en Luries. Flowrestown or Unterstorm are claimed by the Sanguis Astroism as the city of Darfix. And that leaves little to no other options than Rettleville. Due to my relations with Hireshmont we succeeded to create a new realm. And as mention, we have a strong alliance with both Terran and D'Hara which will ensure our survival. Patient is the key to success here I believe. And Gloria, you are our Ambassador, so I guess you already have more to do than most of us.  ;)
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

egamma

« Reply #9: March 29, 2011, 05:14:29 PM »
@ Gloria - Laia has recruited a scout from Rettlewood. But nevertheless, things are going a little slower than anticipated. Where Giask received hundreds of new immigrations and births per day, Rettleville only grows with circa 15 peasants a day. But there is hope, Rettlewood recently received 72 new peasants and I hope to align Thysan to our realm. The regions is adjacent to Terran and D'Hara, which hopefully aids in the growth of our total population. I know we can hold on to it because all our estates will be perfect.

Peasants shouldn't migrate realms, but the fact that monsters won't come from as many directions helps a lot.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 29, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »
Peasants shouldn't migrate realms, but the fact that monsters won't come from as many directions helps a lot.

Really? Odd.

And stupid. Migration should be made more flexible to allow migration across peaceful borders or into rogue lands. Peasants wouldn't sit around and be ruled by nobles if there were folks in the wilderness surviving without nobles.

Whatever the case, Barca will have a hard time. The biggest difficulty is recruits, though. D'Hara and Terran can pump in gold and can occasionally ship in some food. We can send military expeditions when our home fronts are secure... but it will be a long, long time until Barca has sufficient population to reliably field even 1,000 CS.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 30, 2011, 01:14:30 AM »
Terran should have expanded there instead then seceded into Barca. That would follow the rules, it would just be cheating if they were to do it strategically?
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: March 30, 2011, 01:25:48 AM »
Terran should have expanded there instead then seceded into Barca. That would follow the rules, it would just be cheating if they were to do it strategically?

What are you talking about? Terran wasn't at war with anyone in the area of Rettleville. And just what are these "rules" to which you refer? I certainly recall nothing forbidding colonizing someplace for strategical purposes. Maybe the thing about making the war front closer, but I don't see how that applies in this case.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 30, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »
Not at war with anyone in the Rettleville area, silly  :P

If Terran was at war with another realm, say Madina, and they seceded the Barca duchy into a new realm so they would have a better strategical advantage in the war. I've discussed this multiple times in OOC and I believe with at least one Dev

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #14: March 30, 2011, 01:53:22 AM »
Ha, good one. Having to babysit a realm that gets about one gold per tax day that's under constant threat from monsters definitely gives a great advantage. Amazing how brilliant Terran tacticians are!  :o

No, but seriously, are you really saying that Barca's purpose of settlement was to shorten the distance to fighting Madina? For that matter, is Terran really even fighting Madina?

Also, several months before Barca was formed I was approached by Vellos of Terran about a colony in Twainville. As it happened, Ordenstaat died, so they got to take the closer city. I don't know what you're listening to, but hey, Astrum has a secret society and whatnot, right?  ::)