Author Topic: Barca  (Read 226729 times)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #15: March 30, 2011, 01:55:52 AM »
Ha, good one. Having to babysit a realm that gets about one gold per tax day that's under constant threat from monsters definitely gives a great advantage. Amazing how brilliant Terran tacticians are!  :o

No, but seriously, are you really saying that Barca's purpose of settlement was to shorten the distance to fighting Madina? For that matter, is Terran really even fighting Madina?

Also, several months before Barca was formed I was approached by Vellos of Terran about a colony in Twainville. As it happened, Ordenstaat died, so they got to take the closer city. I don't know what you're listening to, but hey, Astrum has a secret society and whatnot, right?  ::)

You seriously are slightly dumb and I say that in the nicest way possible. The Madina - Terran war was an example.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #16: March 30, 2011, 02:00:16 AM »
Ok man, whatever you say. So what was your *real* OOC reason then, hm? It sounds about as thick (or thin depending on who's slicing) as your belief in some Astrum secret society. Was that you? I forget who that guy in Caerwyn was, but eh, not my concern.

Ahem, and before we get into some meaningless fight, back onto that topic.

A colony formed is not against the rules. I have no idea where you made that one up, but whatever, you go think that. If a colony was formed by a realm for the express and primary reason of shortening the distance to an enemy realm with which they are currently at war, then I believe that is in fact against the rules.

That said, what is against the rules in this case?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:02:29 AM by Artemesia »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: March 30, 2011, 02:08:45 AM »
Peasants shouldn't migrate realms, but the fact that monsters won't come from as many directions helps a lot.
Really? Odd.

And stupid.

And wrong.

Peasants have no problem migrating from one realm to another; heck, they don't care who says they own the place.  They just want to make sure they're not going to get starved. Or eaten. Or both.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: March 30, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »
I think the point was that DoctorHarte believes Terran should have taken Retteville, then seceded it, instead of running a Colony TO there, since it's allowed per game rules. He then proceeded to provide an example of a situation (Fictional situation of Terran being at War with Madina) where that would not be allowed. He stated that that wasn't the current case and thus Secession would have been an option instead of the Colony TO.

So nothing is against the rules in this case.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: March 30, 2011, 02:14:27 AM »
Then why even bring it up?

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: March 30, 2011, 02:16:10 AM »
Yeah some people lied to me and my character believed the was an Astrum secret society, so what of it? Do you have to be so offensive? I'm not Hyperion, I am Noah. The RL player - so stop trying to start a fight. I as a person had no other reason to believe these characters as they were from different realms and I'm fairly positive no IC connection. So I don't see how that makes me anymore worse or unintelligent?

In the first place, I had suggested that it may have been more benficiary for Terran to expand to Barca then secede the colony after a lot of immigration had taken place. But if a realm has a duchy to secede in a strategical manner (For example: To gain advantage in a war over a realm like Madina.) It is not against the rules to colonize during war at all, I was simply talking about seceding the duchy.

Then why even bring it up?

Why can't I bring it up? I thought it was an interesting point to add to a discussion, which happens all the time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:18:39 AM by DoctorHarte »
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #21: March 30, 2011, 02:32:53 AM »
To me it sounded a lot like you were implying that the players in Terran were breaking the rules, a rather serious implication. Perhaps you did not intend that, and either way I don't play in Terran. However, were I a Terran player I would probably be quite offended at the perceived suggestion.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: March 30, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »
If a colony was formed by a realm for the express and primary reason of shortening the distance to an enemy realm with which they are currently at war, then I believe that is in fact against the rules.

Actually , I don't know of any "strategic colony" rule. In fact, most colonies not on Dwilight would be strategic colonies, designed to hasten the defeat of an enemy. It is a strategic secession that is against the rules.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: March 30, 2011, 03:36:18 AM »
To me it sounded a lot like you were implying that the players in Terran were breaking the rules, a rather serious implication. Perhaps you did not intend that, and either way I don't play in Terran. However, were I a Terran player I would probably be quite offended at the perceived suggestion.

I was not at all as Terran did not expand to Barca and secede the duchy.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: March 30, 2011, 04:31:40 AM »
Actually , I don't know of any "strategic colony" rule. In fact, most colonies not on Dwilight would be strategic colonies, designed to hasten the defeat of an enemy. It is a strategic secession that is against the rules.

A "strategic" secession is against the rules? Like, Fontan-SoA? Or something different? Kind of curious now, as conquest and secession of duchies (or at a minimum a CTO) is almost necessary to make progress in some wars, particularly when it's an already large realm doing the conquering. DoA on EC springs to mind, though I'm not sure if that was secession or a CTO. Not that it makes a difference in my mind, the purpose is the same either way if you ask me.

egamma

« Reply #25: March 30, 2011, 06:12:54 AM »
Really? Odd.

And stupid.

And wrong.

Peasants have no problem migrating from one realm to another; heck, they don't care who says they own the place.  They just want to make sure they're not going to get starved. Or eaten. Or both.

But they are my peasants, they work my land, they shouldn't be able to go and work for my hated enemies!  :o

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: March 30, 2011, 06:16:32 AM »
Do you have to be so offensive? I'm not Hyperion, I am Noah. The RL player - so stop trying to start a fight.

You seriously are slightly dumb and I say that in the nicest way possible.

This forum can give some laughs.  ;D
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 30, 2011, 07:03:20 AM »
I'm just trying to play out my role as the worst reputable member around here  ::)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: March 30, 2011, 07:05:47 AM »
A "strategic" secession is against the rules? Like, Fontan-SoA? Or something different? Kind of curious now, as conquest and secession of duchies (or at a minimum a CTO) is almost necessary to make progress in some wars, particularly when it's an already large realm doing the conquering. DoA on EC springs to mind, though I'm not sure if that was secession or a CTO. Not that it makes a difference in my mind, the purpose is the same either way if you ask me.

It was a CTO of Aix, the furthest Ibladesh has expanded is Bursa/Woolton/Abadan.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: March 30, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »
Returning to the topic...

We originally planned a TO of Twainville, as Artemesia said. But Ordenstaat's death opened up Rettleville: much easier to supply.

I briefly considering a secession, but nixed it, as it was already a pain just to get down there and take Rettleville, let along slog through the endless jungles of Thysan.

You know my occasional references to the terrible trees of Maroccidens? Those are references to Rettlewood, Thysan, and Odona. Huge travel times, lots of monsters, difficult to coordinate, even more difficult to populate. Plus, the Barcans were itching to go colonize, and we didn't want to delay any more than we had to. Thysan is eventually on the agenda... maybe even soon... but taking it up front would have made the entire endeavor much harder. Plus, secessions hurt region stats.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner