Author Topic: Barca  (Read 226697 times)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Barca
« Reply #60: April 03, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »
Besides that we wanted to be a republic, as a colony of Terran we inherited their governance.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

ó Broin

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: April 04, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »
Always hated that you have to consider what government you want for a colony, and try to find a sponsor of the same government type. I actually remember someone floating a OOC rebellion plan in a discussion about setting up a colony, just so they could get the government type they were interested in.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #62: April 05, 2011, 01:36:55 AM »
By name, you are a colony of the 'mother' realm. So I can understand why the colony has the same government type. It inherits the same values, beliefs and laws ect. But yes, it is not practical if you rather wanted another government type.

ó Broin

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: April 05, 2011, 01:41:07 AM »
A RL colony would generally still have the mother countries Sovereign as their head of state, so its not exactly comparable.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: April 05, 2011, 03:06:20 AM »
That could be done via RP, if you were interested in it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: April 05, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
That could be done via RP, if you were interested in it.

Indeed it can!  Especially with the new treaty system.  (grins) Now, to just accomplish it...
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: April 05, 2011, 03:44:15 AM »
I've always wanted there to be somewhere where one small city state would hold the allegiance of several larger realms.... have yet to find a good way to implement it, however.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: April 05, 2011, 03:55:12 AM »
I've always wanted there to be somewhere where one small city state would hold the allegiance of several larger realms.... have yet to find a good way to implement it, however.

...You mean one city state theoretically holding the oaths of several larger realms?  Papal states to Catholic Kingdoms kinda thing?  Wasn't that what Corsanctum was supposed to do?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: April 05, 2011, 06:36:58 AM »
Something like that. Though I'd prefer if it weren't explicitly religious... and preferably smaller than Corsanctum. Like,one city, 2-3 rurals having some kind of special legitimacy; maybe the claimant to that throne has special rights over other realms' thrones.

It'd have to be entirely RPed; it's just always something I've thought about;or at least ever since the CCA in Beluaterra. We united Irombrozia and Fwuvoghor by marriage, I had hoped to unite Heen and Irombrozia by marriage as well, then make peace with Rio as well, and gradually form more marriage alliances around BT. But alas, it was not to be. I was thwarted by invasions, multi-cheaters, and the allure of Dwilight.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: April 05, 2011, 01:06:42 PM »
...You mean one city state theoretically holding the oaths of several larger realms?  Papal states to Catholic Kingdoms kinda thing?  Wasn't that what Corsanctum was supposed to do?

Multiple people have talked to me, in the past, about making a sort of Vatican-like state out of Shinnen and its surrounds...
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #70: April 05, 2011, 01:20:50 PM »
Succeed Libidizedd and there you have a Vatican like realm. Make it a realm of elders and priest and dominate the theocracies of the bloodstar from your own little island.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: April 05, 2011, 01:32:23 PM »
It is also possible to roleplay certain obligations to another realm by a simple treaty.
all parties sign to concede with any request given by the papal state and in any case will the papal state be defended from all enemies by signed parties.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: April 05, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
Succeed Libidizedd and there you have a Vatican like realm. Make it a realm of elders and priest and dominate the theocracies of the bloodstar from your own little island.

Corsanctum should technically be something close to the vatican of SA. But it didn't really work, and the reason is that it lacks the threatening power the vatican had back in medieval times.

More than once Corsanctum's authority was challenged by Morek, after Mathurin was paused, and they couldn't do anything at all. Corsanctum, being quite full of priests and never very successful at expanding, was not truly powerful militarily speaking, and the other theocracies was simply too far to truly threaten Morek even if willing. Moreover, Corsanctum relied on Morek's food and troops to survive for quite a long period of time.

You can RP everything as much as you want, but game mechanics, right now, grant power only to the big states. Little states have nothing to offer that would make their desires listened to.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #73: April 05, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »
You can RP everything as much as you want, but game mechanics, right now, grant power only to the big states. Little states have nothing to offer that would make their desires listened to.

Tell that to Averoth who has mustered thousands of troops with only three regions and no cities.

Small realms have very distinct advantages that can be leveraged if the leaders choose to do so.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: April 05, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Averoth is a bad example... let's say they look more suspicious than the average small BM realm...