Author Topic: Barca  (Read 228827 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Re: Barca
« Reply #75: April 05, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
Corsanctum should technically be something close to the vatican of SA. But it didn't really work, and the reason is that it lacks the threatening power the vatican had back in medieval times.

More than once Corsanctum's authority was challenged by Morek, after Mathurin was paused, and they couldn't do anything at all. Corsanctum, being quite full of priests and never very successful at expanding, was not truly powerful militarily speaking, and the other theocracies was simply too far to truly threaten Morek even if willing. Moreover, Corsanctum relied on Morek's food and troops to survive for quite a long period of time.

You can RP everything as much as you want, but game mechanics, right now, grant power only to the big states. Little states have nothing to offer that would make their desires listened to.

That power was the power of excommunication, which basicly all catholic nations had execute by removing the excommunicated leader.

You can have all SA realms include that in there oath/treaty to Corsanctum.
It will give corsanctum and the church lots of power.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: April 05, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
That power was the power of excommunication, which basicly all catholic nations had execute by removing the excommunicated leader.

You can have all SA realms include that in there oath/treaty to Corsanctum.
It will give corsanctum and the church lots of power.

Well if ALL the priests of SA were in Corsanctum, and if they exerted their power via auto da fe and religious take overs against the theocracy they want to put in line, perhaps it could work.

It's still not very easy to realize anyway; the main achievement would be having nobles more "loyal" to the church than to the state, to the point that a ruler that upsets the church seriously risks to lose his power to an inner rebellion based on religious reasons. That was more or less something Morek went near to a couple of times, but still not many are ready to acknowledge this special status of Corsanctum within SA. Perhaps thas has more to do with Mathurin's desire not to impose himself too much more than game mechanics however.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: April 05, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »
Tell that to Averoth who has mustered thousands of troops with only three regions and no cities.

Small realms have very distinct advantages that can be leveraged if the leaders choose to do so.

Um...

Averoth is not an example of the power of small realms.  It is a very clear example of the power of OOC cliques willing to exploit loopholes in the system to their own advantage.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: April 05, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
Succeed Libidizedd and there you have a Vatican like realm. Make it a realm of elders and priest and dominate the theocracies of the bloodstar from your own little island.

Stop giving away my secret plans!  >:(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #79: April 05, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Um...

Averoth is not an example of the power of small realms.  It is a very clear example of the power of OOC cliques willing to exploit loopholes in the system to their own advantage.

If they are exploiting loopholes (ie. cheating) then why aren't they punished for it? Doesn't that go against the social contract?

From the viewpoint of those without special information into the exploits they are using, they appear to be the benchmark of military efficiency and have seriously tipped the scales of balance in northern Dwilight.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #80: April 05, 2011, 07:03:23 PM »
What surprised me is that they have 50 nobles.. how did they do that?
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: April 05, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
What surprised me is that a thread entitled "Barca" is about Averoth and Morek.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: April 05, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »
Hahahahah, classic!

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #83: April 06, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
Stop giving away my secret plans!  >:(
I knew you would be interested.  ;)

Well, yes.. somewhere along the way we wandered off I guess.. it has befallen us.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: April 06, 2011, 01:50:44 AM »
Averoth got some 15-20 nobles from Thulsoma and friends of families came to join the fight :D
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Fury

« Reply #85: April 14, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »
I also had that stint in Ordenstaat with Rettleville. That was also rather difficult, for the aforementioned reasons of monsters. Oh yeah, and there were some really strange dealings and counterdealings. To make the story relatively not complex, Milmice talked to Garret, Garret tried to play Milmice, Milmice vowed Garret would be dead or something, Milmice got executed. Arden found out before Milmice died about Garret's supposed dealings, called him out, Garret got mad and messed up Rettleville then left. Arden vowed to hunt down Garret and his descendants or something, then Arden died or something after his fiasco in PeL. Meh.
Then Garret came back as a daimon or something and Arden thought that was probably punishment enough.  8)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: April 14, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
Then Garret came back as a daimon or something and Arden thought that was probably punishment enough.  8)

He has quite consistently maintained that he is human.  Indeed, no character played by a regular player is anything but human. 

(Except in Sirion, or Outer Tilog. But they're another story.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #87: April 15, 2011, 12:01:52 AM »
Indeed I have been quite adamant in-game about the fact that Garret is absolutely human, nothing special about him at all *. Those of you who have tuned in to some of my more serious statements on IRC would also know that I am very serious about other PCs abiding by the "Human characters only" rule as well.

This isn't because I'm like, some "human only police". I just don't quite like it when people think stuff like "OMG, daimons are awesome I'm gonna be their violent agent!" or "I'm a beast!", and actually RP as though they were convinced that was fact.

*: No, seriously, there's nothing special that Garret can do. In fact, he probably has even less than everyone else.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:04:03 AM by Artemesia »

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: April 15, 2011, 06:48:56 AM »
haha I'd like to place a feature request for a "human only police"  ;D
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: April 15, 2011, 06:57:58 AM »
haha I'd like to place a feature request for a "human only police"  ;D

What makes you think there are anything besides humans?  Look very closely into my recording device, please, I want to get all the information.

8)  (flash)

You had an excellent vacation in the completely human northern side of the East Continent.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"