Author Topic: Time and the seasons.  (Read 3696 times)

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Time and the seasons.
« Topic Start: September 05, 2012, 05:06:58 AM »
How would it be correct to RP the change of seasons compared to the flow of real time? Would 1 season be 3 months or is it really 20 something in game days? I just feel weird seeing the seasons change and saying I haven't been in one place for a long time.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Time and the seasons.
« Reply #1: September 05, 2012, 05:20:02 AM »
How would it be correct to RP the change of seasons compared to the flow of real time? Would 1 season be 3 months or is it really 20 something in game days? I just feel weird seeing the seasons change and saying I haven't been in one place for a long time.

Its RP, generally there is no "correct" way. From what I've seen the majority of people use the in game time frame. The example you give is only weird because as a player you equate "season" to a long time. As seasons and years appear to be shorter to characters the statement would be correct.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 05, 2012, 05:55:19 AM »
I tend to vary, for times that are within a couple months of RL time, I refer to time passing 1:1 with RL, for times greater than that, I typically refer to time in BM passing as if it were about 4 times as fast as RL.

Also among Sangius Astroism on Dwight, there is a tendency to consider each four seasons one year, due to saying that elections that take place in the church every six RL months are taking place every two years.

I think our characters age about a year for every four seasons, but it's not exact because there are a lot of factors that affect age.  And I may be wrong anyways.

That said, there's no real right way, but I'm sure people will tell you their way is the only right way.  But hey, whatever floats your own boat.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 05, 2012, 01:06:21 PM »
Word of Tom is that time in BattleMaster is the same as time in real life. It's just that seasons pass quickly.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: September 05, 2012, 01:36:56 PM »
Word of Tom is that time in BattleMaster is the same as time in real life. It's just that seasons pass quickly.

I like this, but I'd like the addition of an age that is function of time only. I don't think that real time works well for character age.

For example, I had a character on BT during the invasion that took some critical wounds. I had made him the grandson of my oldest character, but the critical wounds pushed his apparent age enough to make him my oldest character.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: September 05, 2012, 02:33:57 PM »
Which is why "age" is always called "physical age" in the game.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 05, 2012, 02:48:50 PM »
Which is why "age" is always called "physical age" in the game.

Right, I was just saying that I'd like an actual age too, if only on the player status page. It isn't a big deal, it's just one of those things that I think would be nice to have.

egamma

« Reply #7: September 07, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
Right, I was just saying that I'd like an actual age too, if only on the player status page. It isn't a big deal, it's just one of those things that I think would be nice to have.

You have the character creation dates in your family history.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 07, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »
Woohoo! My oldest character is 6 years old! ???
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: September 07, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
I actually worked up an Excel macro that calculates your character's age based on their creation date and starting age and assuming one turn of the seasons equals a year.  If anyone wants it, let me know.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"