Author Topic: Which Medieval Ruler...  (Read 9160 times)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Which Medieval Ruler...
« Topic Start: August 07, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »
...is your character?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: Which Medieval Ruler...
« Reply #1: August 07, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
Napoleon.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 07, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
Perhaps, for those of us who are not medieval scholars, a short list could be given of potential choices, together with some summaries of their personalities and official acts?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 07, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »
Is Henry VIII still open?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #5: August 07, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
Is Henry VIII still open?

I don't think so, you might have better luck with Henry the ith.  He's a bit more imaginative.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 07, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
Medieval? Malus Solari takes it back—way back—http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan, with a dash of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_I_of_England.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 07, 2012, 05:37:19 PM »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 07, 2012, 05:47:01 PM »
I like to imagine my character as Brian Boru.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 07, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
I'd say Charlemagne but I don't want to die a silly fatass because I wanted to take a bath wearing chainmail and get stuffed in a pickle barrel and carted back home in disgrace. Smooth move, Holy Roman Emperor, smooth.

Or was that someone else? *shrug* I'm a little iffy on the HRE's history.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
~Violence is always an option!~

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 07, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »
Hey, Henry I died of a "surefit of lamprey" ... choked on eel (his favorite dish).

I don't think Charlemagne died that way. He lived to be pretty old (72?), had 18 kids, numerous concubines, and most of the known world. He was the man.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 07, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »
I honestly dont know. I dont tend to pattern any of my characters off any individual historical figure. I'd be curious to know which medieval figure someone could peg Edmund for, if there was one, however.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 07, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
It's not really practical to model your character after one - it's more like a 'which superhero are you' question, like if you had to be one of these guys, which one would be appropriate?

Given how preoccupied just about every medieval ruler was with inheritance, that right there is enough to make BM characters incomparable.

I don't know Edmund enough to peg him, but as a wild guess you could try Richard I (the Lionhearted). He wasn't as romantic a figure as he is portrayed (e.g. Sean Connery in Robin Hood). Pretty complex guy. He was generally considered an excellent general and a mediocre King (which may not translate well to Edmund) but he could be summarized by "grumpy guy who preferred French to English, the Aquitaine to London, and kicking ass to collecting taxes."