Author Topic: Which Medieval Ruler...  (Read 9034 times)

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
Re: Which Medieval Ruler...
« Reply #15: August 07, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
Given what I know of Richard I that may not be perfect, but probably isnt terribly far off actually. Edmund can get awfully grumpy about all sorts of things when his mood isnt right.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 07, 2012, 08:16:05 PM »
RIGHT, not Charlemagne, I was talking about Fred I.

However, on 10 June 1190, Emperor Frederick drowned in the Saleph river.[69] Being impatient, he had decided to walk his horse through the river instead of crossing the bridge that had been too crowded with troops. The current was too strong for the horse to handle, and his suit armor was too heavy for him to swim in: both were swept away and drowned. Some of Frederick's men put him in a barrel of vinegar to preserve his body.

Frederick's death plunged his army into chaos. Leaderless, panicking, and attacked on all sides by Turks, many Germans deserted, were killed, or even committed suicide. Only 5,000 soldiers, a small fraction of the original force, arrived in Acre. Barbarossa's son, Frederick VI of Swabia, carried on with the remnants of the German army, along with the Hungarian army under the command of Prince Géza, with the aim of burying the emperor in Jerusalem, but efforts to conserve his body in vinegar failed. Hence, his flesh was interred in the Church of St Peter in Antioch, his bones in the cathedral of Tyre, and his heart and inner organs in Tarsus.[3]

The unexpected demise of Frederick left the Crusader army under the command of the rivals Philip II of France and Richard I of England, who had traveled to Palestine separately by sea, and ultimately led to its dissolution. Richard continued to the East where he defeated Saladin in many battles, winning significant territories along the shores of Palestine, but ultimately lost the war (see Treaty of Ramla). He returned home after he signed the treaty under the terms of the agreement that Jerusalem would remain under Muslim control. However, the city would be open to Christian pilgrimages. Also, the treaty reduced the Latin Kingdom to a geopolitical coastal strip that extended from Tyre to Jaffa.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 07, 2012, 08:37:32 PM »
Fred 1 was still a pretty awesome Emperor.

Richard I also died from hubris: he managed to get all the way out to the Holy Land and back on Crusade and was walking around during some siege or the other, I think back in England, when an archer on the walls spotted him and shot him. Wound infected, dead King.

"What do you mean, I shouldn't be walking around? Nobody can hit me from this distance!"

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 08, 2012, 04:36:07 AM »
I'd say Charlemagne but I don't want to die a silly fatass because I wanted to take a bath wearing chainmail and get stuffed in a pickle barrel and carted back home in disgrace. Smooth move, Holy Roman Emperor, smooth.

Or was that someone else? *shrug* I'm a little iffy on the HRE's history.

You are thinking of Barbarossa.

Edit: note to self- check page two of responses -.-
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:38:49 AM by Lefanis »
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 08, 2012, 05:30:25 AM »
Machiavelli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccol%C3%B2_Machiavelli

Technically not a ruler, but still.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Heq

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 08, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »
Saladin, if Saladin was female and celtic.

Arundel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 08, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »
I... have no idea. Caspius is an ensemble of every negative trait, plus courage, conviction, and zealotry, of several medieval rulers. I can't peg any from my mind off the bat, but I'll look through a list shortly unless someone wants to help out :P.
The adherents of different religions in a realm should compete for power, influence, and fresh converts. They don't even have to be killing each other to do so. I wish people promoted the prosperity of their religions the same way they promoted the growth and prosperity of their realms. - Geronus

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #22: August 08, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
Julius Caesar, if he was female, led the Carthagians to victory against Rome, and was a big hulking man riding elephants across the Nile.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 12, 2012, 05:51:16 PM »
Margaret of York only more religious maybe?