Author Topic: REJECTED: Higher walls for townsland  (Read 3922 times)

Creed

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
REJECTED: Higher walls for townsland
« Topic Start: June 11, 2012, 05:47:29 PM »
I would like to see added the ability for lords in townland's to build higher walls once their population has reached a certain point or just make it twice or three times more expensive to build walls in townlands then in city's. I have a character that is Lord of Bescanon in the East island and the region is richer then many city's in the continent plus is is self sustainable and the population is even if not grater then many of the city's on the continent.

Bescanon is not the only townland like this many more on many of the continents are. I believe it does not make any since to only be able to build level 2 walls on regions whose wealth rival that of city's.   

I dont know how it can be implemented besides the examples I gave above but I do believe something needs to be changed.   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:11:23 AM by egamma »

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Higher walls for townsland
« Reply #1: June 11, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »
No.

The reason why cities can get higher walls is that all the population is concentrated in one place. Townslands have many places to defend, which limits the ability to build fortifications.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 11, 2012, 06:14:56 PM »
However it's a strange anachronism that towns lands top out at Motte & Bailey - what's the point of being a Margrav(in)e if you can't have a nice imposing castle ;D

egamma

« Reply #3: June 11, 2012, 06:34:53 PM »
However it's a strange anachronism that towns lands top out at Motte & Bailey - what's the point of being a Margrav(in)e if you can't have a nice imposing castle ;D

Sure you can, but your peasants will be slaughtered outside of its walls while you hide inside.

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: June 11, 2012, 10:01:17 PM »
Sure you can, but your peasants will be slaughtered outside of its walls while you hide inside.

Meh... the peasants are always complaining about something ;)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 11, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »

The point is that there has to be some downside by choosing to be Margra(in)e of a townsland instead of a city. Can't get only benefits...
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 12, 2012, 01:38:50 AM »
Margraine? Is that some kind of medieval migraine?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 12, 2012, 02:19:38 AM »
I would support allowing one level higher.  But I guess it's moot as Tom already said no.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: June 12, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »

No, it's not. The "nice imposing castle" is not a type of fortification you can build, it's a region type called "stronghold".

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: June 12, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
Maybe allow it but have ridiculous cost? from level2 -> level3 needs 30 000 gold?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 12, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »
That would make it rather redundant. Also, if the limit is loosened, I'm sure someone else will request an even higher level in a few months?

Townslands produce lots of gold easily, because they don't require food imports. Being vulnerable only balances that out, I think

feyeleanor

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: June 12, 2012, 01:57:49 PM »
No, it's not. The "nice imposing castle" is not a type of fortification you can build, it's a region type called "stronghold".

And yet a level 3 fortification is a castle. Castles are hardly a rarity in the medieval setting BM is modelled after and many of them stand well away from cities in regions of questionable strategic importance because wealthy magnates were keen on imposing stone walls.

I've always thought a stronghold would be more like the imposing roman legionary base at Carlisle, the ruins of which were still being marvelled over in the 8th and 9th centuries. That's far beyond the concept of "nice imposing castle".

egamma

Re: REJECTED: Higher walls for townsland
« Reply #12: August 07, 2012, 03:11:35 AM »
Idea rejected, closing topic.