Author Topic: Shot myself on a foot  (Read 5953 times)

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Shot myself on a foot
« Topic Start: August 11, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
Funny. I had this character that I had been building for quite some time, spending a lot of time thinking about him, his personality, his plans, his purpose in life, his weaknesses and so forth. He was the kind of a guy who was always trying to be nice to everyone else, but such people inevitably build up frustration and tension inside and are prone to exploding when the conditions are just right.

So, when the conditions were there and they were plenty. It was almost comical how the situation was exactly the worst possible situation for this character. He had practically no skill with the sword, but he really had no other choice but to challenge an offender to a duel to death. I knew he was going to die and so he did. It was consistent, it was RP, it was remaining in-character, it was shooting myself on a foot.

With the character went away all that I had been building towards. With that went pretty much most of my interest too. The other characters I have just do not feel anything like the one that died. It's just clicking buttons for me, and I feel somehow lost about what to do about it. It all seems to pale in comparison to what it was.

I don't know what to do.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Shot myself on a foot
« Reply #1: August 11, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »
I don't know what to do.

Step back for a few days, and come back with a new character concept. Congratulations, you've found out why BM is a roleplaying game, and why doing it with roleplays really is that much more rewarding.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 11, 2012, 08:03:01 PM »
I have to congratulate you for following the role of your character, even though you knew that the results would end up going badly for him. I have a feeling that not many players would follow that path.

Like Tom says, step back for a while, and then see what happens. Pause your characters if you need to. You may find a new concept boiling away inside you waiting to be given a chance.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #3: August 11, 2012, 08:13:10 PM »
Sounds like time to revitalize one of your other characters, or create a new one.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 11, 2012, 08:18:13 PM »
Step back for a few days, and come back with a new character concept. Congratulations, you've found out why BM is a roleplaying game, and why doing it with roleplays really is that much more rewarding.

haha, that's actually exactly what I was going to suggest! But then I decided not to  ???

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: August 11, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
I had to make my RP character - the one I wrote over 100 RPs - to duel one of the lords in Thalmarkin. Luckily he won the duel with 5% swordfighting :) it felt pretty awesome. I am thinking of letting him die if he gets assassinated or if someone writes a good enough RP to convince me to kill the guy - like well plotted poisoning of the character.

I say play in somewhere different than Solaria. When I paused my Astrum character to play in Solaria, I felt somewhat empty and lost too. Try other continents with a crazy character :)

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 13, 2012, 06:55:37 AM »
I agree with Tom and Indirik, pause your boring chars, think for a few days and you may get a new dream for your chars to follow. One of my char wants to go on a religious crusade (against Aurvandil), other rebuilding her realm and the last one preparing (and dead set) to defeat Armonía. I hope I would get some new ideas to continue on the RP when they fulfill their dreams.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 13, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
Thank you for your responses. The thing is, however, that I did take a break of a week or so before creating a new character. It's just that it seems like this is the best I can come up with at this time. Nothing really catches my fancy.

Oh well. I suppose I will just try to muddle through and wait for an inspiration. The thing I have found out is that playing a timid and insecure teenager with tendencies towards melancholy does not seem to inspire all that much interaction (who would have thought?). Maybe I just need to give him time. People do grow and perhaps he does as well. An additional problem is that he just does not respond too well to people, at least not yet.

There are plots and storylines buried down there, but how to bring them forth with such a character does seem to be somewhat of a challenge, compared to the previous one who was a little less socially challenged.

Part of the problem is perhaps that he does not really know anyone. He's like the shy guy in a party who came along his brother who in turn had to leave early. And he has glasses and he wears a silly jumper, smells bad and looks at girls too long. But not at their eyes. And, uh, he has difficulties in recognizing emotions in others, let alone understanding them.

That, and he had a lousy childhood, of course, with an absent but too demanding father, all the while growing in the shadow of his older brother who he both adored and envied bitterly.

So there is material there. I am just not sure how to incorporate all his beauty to the other storylines.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 13, 2012, 03:24:18 PM »
Sounds like a character who will be more defined by events (at least initially).
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 13, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
Sorry.

Edit:

To actually give some advice, move around or focus on your other characters. Jeffrey was the reason I played Battlemaster for an extremely long time, he was basically my most awesome character. Then he got boring and I got into other characters and I realized that they were also in extremely fun situations. Also, your previous history in the realm might be overshadowing your current attempt. Move your character elsewhere in Dwilight, maybe even somewhere else in Luria, and you won't have to constantly be comparing this character to your other one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:50:44 PM by Slapsticks »
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 14, 2012, 02:05:59 AM »
Slapsticks,

Nah, stuff happens, don't worry. I did not need to shoot myself on my foot even if you handed me the shotgun. ;)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #11: August 14, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
Thank you for your responses. The thing is, however, that I did take a break of a week or so before creating a new character. It's just that it seems like this is the best I can come up with at this time. Nothing really catches my fancy.

I know that from pen&paper RPGs. Sometimes I'm just dying to try out a character concept, and sometimes I have no idea whatsoever. Then I read a book, watch a movie or whatever and I get an inspiration.

Duvaille

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 15, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
Ah well.. it is a lovely game but I need to focus on other things in life. Thank you all for all the wonderful moments I have had with the community and for Tom for creating such a beautiful game. But there are just too many games in my life when other things demand my urgent attention. In a way I am like a recovering alcoholic. Even one drop is too much, as it will quickly spiral me into too much too often.

I have now deleted my account. Happy gaming for all of you.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 16, 2012, 05:33:31 AM »
 :)

Have fun and know you'll be very welcome if you decide to return.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 29, 2012, 03:25:23 AM »
Take it easy Duvaille.

All characters deserve some background, some stories. Flesh out all your characters so that if one of them die, at least you can play other with enough gusto. If you wish, you can even send your other character to take revenge for the fallen one ;)

Maybe you can try put some certain must-have Attribute or unique characteristic that other your characters dont have~~
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)