Author Topic: Atheist character  (Read 11821 times)

BattleMaster Server

Atheist character
« Topic Start: August 12, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »
Summary:Atheist character
Violation:Prohibition against atheist characters
World:Far East
Complainer:G. Potter
About:Perrin

Full Complaint Text:

I know this isn't technically a violation of the inalienable rights or social contract but I know that one of the rules is that characters aren't allowed to be atheist and I wasn't sure how else to report it.

As this is a player who's been around since 2006 he should already know the consequences of having an atheist character and it would be pretty fun if a character denying the existence of the gods was bolted. That's up to you though, obviously.

The message sent by the character was:

"Though I have recently come here at the behest of my brother Earl Josh, I find it amusing the stock you place in these gods. When's the last time any of these gods have done anything to help you? If that temple was so important, would not have the god defended it?

Why are we wasting breath over petty ideas formed by nobles with too much time on their hands when there is a war to be fought and won? Because the only way this war is going to be concluded is by man himself and the steel he carries and wields. These gods will not decide nor have anything to do with the war or future wars since they are just ideas."

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Atheist character
« Reply #1: August 12, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »
technically he didn't explicitly say there are no gods at all... he just said those particular ones are !@#$ and deny them as mere ideas....
firefox

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 12, 2012, 08:20:12 PM »
My understanding (and I invite other Magostrates to disagree if I'm wrong) is that we do not enforce this rule, but rather expect IC enforcement.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 12, 2012, 08:26:02 PM »
There's more to this, but aye. In a medieval era simply mentioning the IDEA of atheism was instant execution. That he actually said he takes stock in no gods would be a quick trip to the guillotine.
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 12, 2012, 08:45:25 PM »
Well my character has already reacted IC and I've posted a reminder OOC - the character in question hasn't responded yet. But I have heard stories of Tom bolting atheist characters in the past and I thought it might be interesting if he were to do it again. It's not a newbie player making a mistake (if it wasn't I'd have just dealt with it IG) so the player must be aware there's a chance his character will be bolted - and an atheist character being bolted would be pretty interesting in terms of the discussion it would cause amongst other characters.

If not then I'll suggest IG that the character be banned by the judge for atheism and executed on site.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 12, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
I strongly disagree with this being brought to the Magistrates. I fail to see how this in any way breaks the Social Contract or lessens the fun of the game for others. You didn't even bother to give the player or character a chance to respond in-game once the "Atheism is not allowed" thing was brought up. People are starting to get a bit too trigger happy when it comes to reporting things to the Magistrates.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 12, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
As I said, this doesn't break the social contract - I brought this to the magistrates only because it's not clear who this kind of thing should be brought to. The player of Perrin has been playing since 2006 - he should already know that atheist characters aren't allowed. If he'd been a new player then I wouldn't have brought it out of game. But, as it is, I think it would be fairly fun if tom were to decide to bolt the character - it would probably be good for gameplay.

That being said, I'm also perfectly happy if it's decided that this isn't something which should be taken out of game and which should only be dealt with IG. In which case it can act as a precedent for future situations like this.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 12, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »
I think Antoine was correct in bringing this up, if not simply to establish a precedent so that we all know how to deal with the situation as per Tom's rulings. It can't hurt. *shrug*

I for one would like to see things done IC, but a god-bolting would do WONDERS as a catalyst for the current argument regarding religion going on in the very same nation. :P

FUN!
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 12, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »
(It's Antonine, not Antoine - I'm not a frenchy :p)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 12, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
My bad XD

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 12, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »
FWIW, I don't thin anyone has ever been bolted for atheism.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 12, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
If anything, this is an SMA issue.

Has FEI become an SMA island while I wasn't watching?
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Fury

« Reply #12: August 12, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
For reference: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/FAQ/Tom%27s_Position_on_Atheism

It's a position not a rule but one that can invite lightning bolts. Unless the character in question is denying the gods AND directly or indirectly in a position to forbid priests that will then effect the rules of being able to choose your own class, then I don't see a case.

I get that the issue is to highlight this and IG would be amusing for a character to be bolted after he insults the gods, ultimately it would be up to Tom as Magistrates can't bolt and can only lock which IG you can take it as perhaps the character in question was struck silent for 1/2/3 days.

While the letter can read "these gods" it can also mean all gods particularly when used with the general "petty ideas". However, this character does not appear to be in a position of power to forbid anything. So ultimately it would be up to "the gods" to take offence.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 12, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
That's pretty much what I suspected might be said - hopefully Tom's reading this and willing to bolt an atheist then :)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 12, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
As an Atheist with Pseudo-Pagan leanings I must say I think this "Bolt an Atheist Day!" to be quite entertaining.