Author Topic: Atheist character  (Read 11788 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Atheist character
« Reply #30: August 14, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
Well, the destruction of the temples of several religions, and the remarks of the priests of several religions.

That's not possible to tell from the text of the complaint.

Even so, I personally am not convinced that this is a clear indicator of the defendant's atheism.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 14, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »
Doesn't sound like Atheism to me. Sounds to me like he's just saying "Haha, you're temples just got burned down. Looks like your gods are crap! Where are your gods now?"

He says nothing of his own beliefs. Just calls someone else's fake... which is fine. In fact, I encourage that. We need more of it.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Sonya

• Mighty Duke
  • Traveling to a new world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 14, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
Hello.

The word like Atheist didn't existed until the 18th century(citation needed  ;D ), so lets forget about this and think in existing fact who were predominant in the medieval times.

First, everyone used to believe in something, spirit of ancestors, holy items, even blood bathed weapons.

Second, the religious faction ruled the most part of the human ideas in all the times in history, even rulers, no one dared to go against the Priest on any culture, you can challenge any religious people now, because with the technology you have communication, and with communication you have information. In the past, nothing of that existed, you believe what your priest told your parents to tell you.

Third, there were always some one who challenged the believes of everyone, by different ways, because they always believe in something they thought was greater than god self.

Four, which was the special method to deal with these kind of people? you never heard that something from the heavens fell upon them right?,   they were specially, humorously, simply, burned, alive, in front, of everyone else, to see the power of the CHURCH!

So in resume:

Some one who doesn't believe in (X) is NOT atheist, is a Blasphemer, and blasphemer should be executed at once! or (for more conservative) banished from the realm.

If some one wanted to rise an even higher power, they need to create a new religion, get followers, protest, kick out ruler, and put in motion a new order, of course, you need religion to control the peasants.

That's all....for now... i say "NO to the GM intervention" "YES to the IC resolution" too bad we rulers cant just burn nobles.....is sad....

Peace!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 04:04:56 PM by Sonya »

Ross

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 16, 2012, 05:41:31 AM »
I share the idea it should be dealt IC.

While he didn't clearly stated he refused the existence of all Gods, he did attack the legitimacy of the gods, brought in question their powers and acted in a very disrespectful manner about them. Like Sonya mentioned, i think it's fair to consider this as Blasphemy and if it was directed towards a main or well-seen religion within the realm, you can consider this as a serious offence and deal with it as a major crime against the realm, it's purely heresy.  Since he's noble i guess he can have the chance to retract, even more if it's his first offence.  And If "these" Gods were outsider Gods for the character, i guess he just got more enemies and it should be seen as very reckless (i have that vision of Achilles cutting the head of Apollo statue) But, even if it's still an enemy Gods targeted, people should see him as cursed or mad, he should at least be warned even in that case, this will bring no good to his realm if he angers the gods. If he persists i would ban him.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:50:31 AM by Ross »
Atamara:    Dwilight:

egamma

« Reply #34: August 16, 2012, 08:03:40 PM »

Fury

« Reply #35: August 17, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »
And with no Magistrate thinking this is a case and no discussion opened in the backroom, this thread is now locked.