Author Topic: Academy Usefulness  (Read 12133 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: Academy Usefulness
« Reply #30: April 07, 2011, 02:41:48 AM »
Oh, there's no message? That could explain it then. I didn't notice his skill going up at all, but if there was no message for an increase, then it might have been.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #31: April 07, 2011, 02:42:25 AM »
Ah, infiltrator. I've recently come out with an infiltrator with I think >80% skill, and I might be able to talk about my findings.

As De-legro said, you do not get skill gain messages when performing actions for infiltrating skill. Also, skill gain is not always guaranteed. Performing on (rogue) works as well as any other realm with which you are at war, and the bonus of that is no one can ban you when caught by (rogue) and no one will complain to your ruler/judge/whoever.

egamma

« Reply #32: April 07, 2011, 03:16:56 AM »
Ah, infiltrator. I've recently come out with an infiltrator with I think >80% skill, and I might be able to talk about my findings.

As De-legro said, you do not get skill gain messages when performing actions for infiltrating skill. Also, skill gain is not always guaranteed. Performing on (rogue) works as well as any other realm with which you are at war, and the bonus of that is no one can ban you when caught by (rogue) and no one will complain to your ruler/judge/whoever.

really? I had an infil tell me about a month ago that you can't gain skill when training against rogue.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 08, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »
ok, i am glad to announce one single useful training that happened!  ;D

after so much time it still means there is no total cursing (if such academy is not some kind of curse by itself  >:( )

if i can recognize well, queue of repeated training increases chance for success.

would not the opposite be better balance?

i mean, if you don't train at all for say one month, you should have somewhat better chance to excel, pause of three months would make much better chance etc. on the other side, repeated and frequent trainings should lower chance of success.

that way amount of available gold would not proportionally increase chances, at least. there is nothing more boring than idea that two times more gold gives you two times more chances. and it is not realistic as well.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #34: April 08, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
Huh? That's an awfully different take on learning. So...not studying at all for months means one learns faster? Well, it would certainly mean one would learn more things quicker if only because there is so much less one would know than a student who dedicates a lot of time to studying daily.

Realistically, that's how it works as well. Maybe you're a genius who picks things up in minutes, but for the vast majority of students, both current and former, in order to excel at any subject, they had to put in the effort. That meant that they spent a lot of time studying. If not that, then they gained experience in practical settings.

In translation to BM, that means that right now, more training frequency leads to more success because of the higher frequency of attempts. Yes, that's expensive. Ever try paying tuition for a high level private university? Why should an academy for the elite among nobility be any less expensive? Actually, the rates aren't so bad in BM's academies.

Now, if paying gold to study up isn't your thing, then leading infantry can keep your swordfighting handy, leading cavalry, jousting. The other skills have already been explained as to how they can be improved on the field. And that's also realistic. If you don't have the money or don't have the motivation to stay in school, you gain experience in the world.

So in short, it seems very counter-intuitive that staying away from the academy would give a better chance to improve skills. If anything, it should decrease the chances as one has to get reacquainted with the tempo of studying.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:48:09 PM by Artemesia »