Author Topic: History of Beluaterra  (Read 5242 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
History of Beluaterra
« Topic Start: August 14, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »
You will love this, I hope. Was a lot of work getting it right:

http://youtu.be/DCqxoaZx7qY

Time-lapse video of 7 years of history on the East Island, from 2005 to 2011, starting right after the 2nd invasion, up until the beginning of the 5th one. Lots of realms come and go, you can see BT pre-Blight and lots more.

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: History of Beluaterra
« Reply #1: August 14, 2012, 11:41:17 AM »
...awesome.

To think that such simple flipping of flags could hold such a lot of meaning over so long a time.

Once again, heartfelt thanks for his game Tom!

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 14, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
Phenomenal. I had heard the Second Invasion had been bad, but I had never realised it was quite THAT bad. And what the video doesn't tell you is that even though that land got filled up again quite quickly, the population was still very low and everything was hard for ages afterwards.

It's still scary how quickly the daimons squished Heen and Mesh in the Fourth Invasion.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 14, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
*sniff* I'm sorry I couldn't save more of you regions-that-sunk.

Also, wow, I knew the period after the third invasion was bad for OG, but I didn't realize it was that bad.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: August 14, 2012, 11:54:08 AM »
I love the histories because they reveal some things that you never notice if you don't look on this long a period. For example that for all I see, Sint until very recently held not a single one of its original regions, having been displaced entirely to the south-east.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 14, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »
Very interesting! Fun to see the Invasions hit and change the landscape so suddenly. I joined Beluaterra just after the second Invasion, I believe, so this timeline is about my time of playing Battlemaster! Riombara has been cutting it close at times. Think the last Invasion would have been pretty interesting as well.

Liked the video right away. Those Histories of the Continents are very nice.

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 14, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
Regarding Riombara:
Even though I played in that realm through most of its history looking at that video I was amazed at how small the realm has been during a good (if not most) part of its history. The number of precipies it has tottered along without /quite/ taking that last fatal plunge...tenaciously, obnoxiously alive ftw!

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 14, 2012, 02:07:55 PM »
What was the realm centered on Grehk in 2005 that had exactly the same banner as Ohnar West?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 14, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
Ah, good times.

Seeing this makes me want to ensure that the Political Map code is solid for the future, so that we can return to saving these and make another video like this in 2019! ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #10: August 14, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
Ah, good times.

Seeing this makes me want to ensure that the Political Map code is solid for the future, so that we can return to saving these and make another video like this in 2019! ;D

I would much rather have a way to overlay the realm polygon on a saveable map. Should be doable with some imagick or gd, don't you think? We can draw polygons in there, not sure about transparency. GeoPHP can calculate the mass center (I already use that to display the realm name there in OpenLayers) and we can put in the banner, not just the icon, there. Maybe scaled down to some fixed value so they're all the same size.

That would be even cooler as the realm boundaries and extends can be seen much clearer.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 14, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
I would much rather have a way to overlay the realm polygon on a saveable map. Should be doable with some imagick or gd, don't you think? We can draw polygons in there, not sure about transparency. GeoPHP can calculate the mass center (I already use that to display the realm name there in OpenLayers) and we can put in the banner, not just the icon, there. Maybe scaled down to some fixed value so they're all the same size.

That would be even cooler as the realm boundaries and extends can be seen much clearer.

The problem with that—as can be seen on, for instance, the Dwilight map—is that with noncontiguous realms, like (rogue), you get the name (or, in this case, banner) in one contiguous chunk (not always the most sensible one) and the rest just get the color.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 14, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »
Awesome! Fwuvoghor looks particularly pretty in 2008  :)

Now I want to get my BT characters active time again  ;D
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #13: August 14, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »
The problem with that—as can be seen on, for instance, the Dwilight map—is that with noncontiguous realms, like (rogue), you get the name (or, in this case, banner) in one contiguous chunk (not always the most sensible one) and the rest just get the color.

Most realms are contiguous, and we can/should leave out the name for rogue.

Eirikr

« Reply #14: August 16, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »
I love the histories because they reveal some things that you never notice if you don't look on this long a period. For example that for all I see, Sint until very recently held not a single one of its original regions, having been displaced entirely to the south-east.

And now most of those regions are under water.  :'(