Author Topic: Recruit honor limit  (Read 4284 times)

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
Recruit honor limit
« Topic Start: August 29, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
Ok, been whining about this at irc for a while and thought i could ask here if this silly limit could be removed or atleast make it so that it makes a bit more sense.

I have character with 317 honor, who is King, who has good amount of gold and who even switched his career to cavalier to have proper unit... but still, all he can recruit is lousy 81 men. He is KING, he owns big chunk of Atamara have gold more than those 81 men can carry...

Then i have another character, Duke... a bit noobish compared to that King... 147 honor, he easily recruited 190 men, run out of hours before i faced his cap.

So, how the hellou swear word here makes sense? I understand that KK's 81 men have more CS than OO's 190 infantry has, but still...

So, my humble request is that remove that silly restriction or atleast change its curve and/or that unit type is a factor.

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Recruit honor limit
« Reply #1: August 29, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Those 81 men are Special Forces. Yes, there are stricter limits on how many Special Forces you can recruit than there are on how many Infantry.

Tom can come in and contradict me if he wants, but as far as I'm concerned, that's never going to change.

Special Forces are elite, highly trained troops. Infantry are basically just commoners off the street trained to handle a sword and shield. Want to have a staggeringly massive unit? Recruit the el cheapo infantry.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #2: August 29, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
The limit isn't silly, you are.

You compare different kinds of units against each other, that's the first problem. The second is that you assume being king means anything regarding unit size. It doesn't. The power of a king is not in how many people serve under him directly, but how many people serve under him indirectly - not the army he commands, but the army he can have show up.

That is the very essence of BattleMaster. Fielding a huge force requires communication and interaction. That will not change, ever.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 29, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
Well, i still think it is very silly... but atleast tune up those limits.

I really dont understand WHY if i have resources needed to command even thousand man,  why that is not possible if there is enough recruits to recruit and gold to upkeep them? There is already penalty about unit efficienty, travel times etc.

I sure can live with this "flaw" on the game... i just cant find any good reason for it or sense behind it. It reminds me about EU directives which get attached to laws and burocrat just says "nope and shows paper which says NO!"

Even if i would be able to recruit that 500 men unit and even being able to pay them and keep them on shape(which is unrealistic cause of repairing times) it wouldnt have big impact on real war situation. Army is army and unit is unit, even if it is big unit.

egamma

« Reply #4: August 29, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »
I really dont understand WHY if i have resources needed to command even thousand man,  why that is not possible if there is enough recruits to recruit and gold to upkeep them? There is already penalty about unit efficienty, travel times etc.

Do you know how slow moving your unit would be? Your king would spend all day, running around, making sure everyone is awake and ready to move, etc. That's beneath you, as king. You should have you underlings (dukes, lords, and knights) do that for you.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 29, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
Ok dumb that 1k unit example. But then tell me why i cant have 200 SF unit? But i can have 200 inf unit? Infantry wakes up better than Special forces?

-jaune

egamma

« Reply #6: August 29, 2012, 03:18:06 PM »
Ok dumb that 1k unit example. But then tell me why i cant have 200 SF unit? But i can have 200 inf unit? Infantry wakes up better than Special forces?

-jaune

Special Forces are trained since birth, and require a lot more "special handling" of their pride and dignity. Talking to someone with a measure of respect takes longer than simply barking out orders at a peasant.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 29, 2012, 03:21:34 PM »
Yep yep. Good answer! Oh boy...

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #8: August 29, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
It's also a game balance thing. Basically, we don't want too many CS in the hands of a single player, because BM is not a game you should be able to "solo".

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 29, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »
Without the limits you'd see a few 4,000CS ducal steamrollers, and everyone not a Duke would have about 500CS.

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 29, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »
I almost understand Tom's reply, thank you.

But like i always say... i hate all kind of restrictions in real as well as games.

It definately wouldnt be most efficient way to have every Duke 4kCS unit and rest runs around with their 10 crappy men around. Few good infils could easily disable half of the army in a day. 4 x 500cs units beats the crap out from 2kCS unit any day.

But i guess i'm doomed to wander around with my handfull of men :P

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 29, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »
Its a trade off, to maintain game balance, atleast that is what I think of it. You choose Inf, get more men but less CS / man. You choose SF, you get more CS / man but less men.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 29, 2012, 08:05:32 PM »
sf is way cheaper to maintain than infantry (of greater size)

if you want more sf.. be a hero and find volunteers.
firefox

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #13: August 29, 2012, 08:14:14 PM »
And you ultimately get more CS for your SF unit... so... -_-
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.