Author Topic: Re: Atheist character  (Read 7260 times)

mikm

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Atheist character
« Topic Start: August 16, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »
Question is : do religions have to worship gods or maybe they can worship something else.
I've seen religions that don't really name any gods. Even a religion that says "we hate the supernatural"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Atheist character
« Reply #1: August 16, 2012, 07:46:07 PM »
Exactly what comprises a religion is a subject of contention. If you're not on Dwilight, then it can be damned near anything. However, the general rule is that your character *must* believe in something. Some higher power or god. There must be some divinity that your character acknowledges.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Atheist character
« Reply #2: August 16, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
Also, your character does not need to be a devout worshiper, or zealot, or anything like that. Nor do you need to be a member of any player-made, game-mechanics religion. You can say "My gods are real, yours are fake", and other such variations. But your character should not be of the opinion that "there are no gods, they're all fake, etc." That kind of attitude simply should not exist.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 17, 2012, 05:07:50 AM »
Question is : do religions have to worship gods or maybe they can worship something else.
I've seen religions that don't really name any gods. Even a religion that says "we hate the supernatural"

Speaking as the founder of the "we hate the supernatural" religion (that's not quite what it believed, but close enough that I won't quibble) members of the religion believed in several gods.  They just thought the gods hated them, and the feeling was mutual.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 17, 2012, 05:10:21 AM »
Speaking as the founder of the "we hate the supernatural" religion (that's not quite what it believed, but close enough that I won't quibble) members of the religion believed in several gods.  They just thought the gods hated them, and the feeling was mutual.

Very true, the gods were real, we just weren't all that sure they liked us/cared about us or that there was anything gained from Worshipping them. There was even a secret sect that was attempting to create a human god to protect them from the whims of the others.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 17, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »
Very true, the gods were real, we just weren't all that sure they liked us/cared about us or that there was anything gained from Worshipping them. There was even a secret sect that was attempting to create a human god to protect them from the whims of the others.
what
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 17, 2012, 05:16:18 AM »
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Marlboro

• Noble Lord
  • With Claws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 17, 2012, 08:04:11 AM »
Maltheism! Eff yes!
When Thalmarkans walked through the Sint land, castles went up for sale.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 17, 2012, 04:09:32 PM »
FWIW: I never could see the validity of a religion that hated their gods, and institutionalized the "not worshiping" of them. I can see fearing, and maybe even hating them. But if you're a religion, then you should be worshiping them. I mean, you're building these temples and holding services telling people that they should *not* worship the gods? And getting them to donate their money so that you can build even bigger temples so you can not worship them better? Sorry, but that whole concept simply doesn't work for me. The whole purpose of a religion is to worship the god/s or supernatural powers to whom the religion is dedicated.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 17, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »
Gnosticism did something like that: they believed in a Demiurge and other supernatural entities, but considered them evil, and considered that shunning them and their creation in favor of human knowledge was the path to salvation.

In broad strokes of course, I'm not claiming I'm an expert in gnosticism.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 17, 2012, 06:21:12 PM »
My brief reading of wikipedia (for whatever that is worth) indicates that the gnostics still believed in god, or a supreme being or source of divinity. The demiurge was an emanation who enacted creation, and was a "lesser" or "false" god.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 18, 2012, 03:57:09 AM »
FWIW: I never could see the validity of a religion that hated their gods, and institutionalized the "not worshiping" of them. I can see fearing, and maybe even hating them. But if you're a religion, then you should be worshiping them. I mean, you're building these temples and holding services telling people that they should *not* worship the gods? And getting them to donate their money so that you can build even bigger temples so you can not worship them better? Sorry, but that whole concept simply doesn't work for me. The whole purpose of a religion is to worship the god/s or supernatural powers to whom the religion is dedicated.

There was a very specific purpose to the temples and shrines.  It was a (so far as I know) more or less unique take on ancestor worship.  The Daimons and the Light used human souls up as sources of power for their offensive weapons, and the Manifest Path temples and shrines supposedly housed them as defensive measures.  The idea was that they would literally be sanctuaries against evil forces.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 18, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
My brief reading of wikipedia (for whatever that is worth) indicates that the gnostics still believed in god, or a supreme being or source of divinity. The demiurge was an emanation who enacted creation, and was a "lesser" or "false" god.

That was mostly (as far as I understand it) Deism, and I don't think pure Deism fits the atmosphere of BM. But Gnosticism was Deism with extra evil supernatural beings; you could argue that the only personal Gods they believed in, they thought were evil.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 18, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
That was mostly (as far as I understand it) Deism, and I don't think pure Deism fits the atmosphere of BM. But Gnosticism was Deism with extra evil supernatural beings; you could argue that the only personal Gods they believed in, they thought were evil.

No...Deism was the belief in the "watchmaker God", who created everything, then sat back and just let it go.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 18, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »
No...Deism was the belief in the "watchmaker God", who created everything, then sat back and just let it go.

Correction: is.

Source: I'm BM's resident deist :)