Author Topic: How patient should I be?  (Read 18288 times)

Oberyn Thrace

• Peasant
    • View Profile
How patient should I be?
« Topic Start: August 19, 2012, 01:43:56 PM »
Greetings all,

I joined a few days ago and chose Atamara and the Darka realm.  I messaged the two mentors to introduce myself but have not heard back from either of them yet.  I learned of BM from a thread in the Star Wars Combine forum which is a game that requires massive amounts of patience.  What kind of pace should I expect in BM or does it depend on the particular realm that I've chosen?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: How patient should I be?
« Reply #1: August 19, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
Depends on the realm, depends on the mentors. If they're not answering, I'd send an OOC message to the realm Council (ruler, general, judge, banker) introducing yourself and asking for some help getting started.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 19, 2012, 02:07:16 PM »
A message to the entire Realm may also get you some people to help you that aren't officially a Mentor per class. People are generally very helpful of new players, so don't hesitate to ask questions to the Realm at large :)

Oberyn Thrace

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 19, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies.   :)

I did send a message to the entire realm last night so hopefully I'll hear something soon.  Or maybe I joined the wrong realm...........   :-\

egamma

« Reply #4: August 19, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
You could simply read the material yourself: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Mentoring

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 19, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
Another advice would be to create another character elsewhere, preferably in another continent. Battlemaster is a slow-paced game, and sometimes very little happens in a given realm, but it is very rare that nothing happens at all in all the realms you can have characters in.

After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 19, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
Greetings all,

I joined a few days ago and chose Atamara and the Darka realm.  I messaged the two mentors to introduce myself but have not heard back from either of them yet.  I learned of BM from a thread in the Star Wars Combine forum which is a game that requires massive amounts of patience.  What kind of pace should I expect in BM or does it depend on the particular realm that I've chosen?

It would be poor form not receive a reply within 48 hours, in my opinion.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 19, 2012, 04:03:53 PM »
It would be poor form not receive a reply within 48 hours, in my opinion.

Exceedingly poor form, especially for a new player actively reaching out.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 19, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
Exceedingly poor form, especially for a new player actively reaching out.

Doesn't mean it's uncommon, though, sadly.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Oberyn Thrace

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 19, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
You could simply read the material yourself: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Mentoring

Thanks for the tip but I have read through some of the Mentor documentation and while BM is fairly complex I feel like I have a decent grasp of the game mechanics.  I've moved from my starting region to the capital and have rested, trained, and paid my troops.  I'm just not sure what I should be doing next but it appears that I should be looking for a Lord to swear an Oath to so that I can secure a source of income.  Without communication with the leaders of my realm I feel like I've gone as far as I can go.

I was thinking about creating another character and joining a different continent - any suggestions?

For now I'll just sit back and relax and see how things progress - thanks for all of the help.   :)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 19, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
I'd recommend a few realms on the Far East.  If Arcaea or Sorraine don't respond within a day to you, post in here again and I'll send a few pointed notes out (not that I expect I'll need to, or I wouldn't be recommending them).  Most of the others, including Kindara, Cathay, and Aenilia I would expect to be good, but my information is sadly out of date so it's hard to say.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 19, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »
I was thinking about creating another character and joining a different continent - any suggestions?

If you're willing to deal with the Serious Medieval Atmosphere, Dwilight tends (in my experience) to be more welcoming to new nobles, if only because there's a perpetual shortage of such.

I also happen to know that there's currently a lot going on in both the Lurias (Solaria plus every realm with "Luria" in the name) and Terran, Barca, and Aurvandil. (There's probably stuff going on in the other realms on Dwilight, too; I just don't happen to know about it ;D )

Beluaterra is pretty much always a good place to go if you're looking for excitement, but you do have to emigrate there from another continent (you can't create a character there) and it takes 2 weeks after creation before a character can emigrate.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 19, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
I try to send all new players a welcoming message shortly after they join any realm I'm playing in.

I'd recommend FEI as well, as even the larger realms are relatively small in comparison with realms on the larger islands. Plus, there is a fairly large war going on right now.  I can only speak for Kindara and Arcaea, but both are relatively active.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #13: August 19, 2012, 05:14:25 PM »
If you want to be part of a realm that really needs nobles right now and has a good opportunity of advancement, Kabrinskia or Asylon are two good choices. As we regain our regions, we'll need new lords for them.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 19, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
Yeah, Arcaea in the Far East welcomes and supports new players, and we've got a pretty good war going at the moment, too.