Author Topic: Derailed thread  (Read 31725 times)

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
Derailed thread
« Topic Start: August 23, 2012, 02:24:45 AM »
More like the pre-Sumerian flood that every subsequent religion stole, renamed, and re-attributed to their own time period and faith, but still. ;)

The beginning of the last Ice Age?
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

This account is no longer in use. New account vaguely under wraps.

Gustav Kuriga

Re: Derailed thread
« Reply #1: August 23, 2012, 02:31:45 AM »
More like the pre-Sumerian flood that every subsequent religion stole, renamed, and re-attributed to their own time period and faith, but still. ;)

I find this to be true about many religious ideas. Christianity got its heaven and hell from Zoroastrianism.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:45:09 AM by Gustav Kuriga »

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 23, 2012, 02:39:20 AM »
More like the pre-Sumerian flood

Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 23, 2012, 02:42:35 AM »
This...  Don't get me started on how much I have to stifle laughing out loud whenever people refer to the flood in a religious sense.

Remember, this is a forum with lots of different views. Even if I am okay with you saying something like this, I could see someone easily taking this as an attack or a poke at someone else's religious belief.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #4: August 23, 2012, 02:44:10 AM »
Remember, this is a forum with lots of different views. Even if I am okay with you saying something like this, I could see someone easily taking this as an attack or a poke at someone else's religious belief.

My bad. Sorry.

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 23, 2012, 03:05:36 AM »
My bad. Sorry.

No big deal. We just have to be aware as a community that we are diverse.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 23, 2012, 03:21:59 AM »
o_O Not sure how that's an attack on someone's beliefs but I agree its best not to even bring it up.

I enjoy theological conversations with those who are fully open-minded about the subject despite their own beliefs. Anyone who is unwilling to behave in that manner is not worth the time you'll take discussing it as all you'll do is be arguing with a brick wall rather than having a pleasant discussion with someone of a different faith. I learned long ago that its simply not worth bringing up if you can avoid it. :-P

Also, Shino, its not potato potahto when it comes to actual historical events, even though I still want to stab the annoying girl in 5th grade who use to use that expression to excuse nonsensical pronunciation of words and horrid grammar. I've yet to meet someone who actually says potahto, now that I think about it. :-P
Old (Deleted) Aurea family= Alura (Ruler/Marshal-Terran); Alekhthaeos (Arcaea); Ehndras (Riombara); Vvaros (Arcaea); Magnus (Xerarch-Xavax); Alekhsandr (Marshal/Hero-Fissoa); Decimus (Warrior-Sandalak); Khets'aeïn(Assassin-Riombara)

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 23, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »
o_O Not sure how that's an attack on someone's beliefs

You have obviously never lived in Southern America(Not South America, Southern America)!

But that's another topic entirely.

Note: Since I live in the South I think I have earned the right to poke at rednecks.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #8: August 23, 2012, 04:26:08 AM »
Not all of them are in the south! There's plenty in Ohio. Well, south western Ohio.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 23, 2012, 04:28:27 AM »
Heh. I've met plenty of them but I've never lived in the South myself. Aye, I know the Bible Belt's fame quite well. Like I said, I come from a hardcore Christian family that thinks dinosaur bones are a fabrication of scientists to sway people from Jesus' light into the arms of the Devil, the Sun revolves around the Earth, we are the center of the universe, the Earth is 6,000 years old, and every other religion on Earth is just the Devil in disguise, so on and so forth.

Oh dear gods. I learned loooooong ago not to bring up religion - period. It turns seemingly sensible individuals into raving animals as they rush to defend their pitifully-held beliefs against foreign invaders faster than East-German Gernztreuppen might reach for their assault rifles. <_<

Its best to just ignore anything even remotely related to religion when dealing with strangers, lol

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 23, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »
My bad. Sorry.

Why must you apologise? A historian might find the idea of treating everything from religious texts as facts offensive... If there must be censorship for such things at all, let it be uniform at least.  ::)
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 23, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »
Hehehe, agreed.

If anyone has right to be offended its the Historians... :P

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: August 23, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »
Heh. I've met plenty of them but I've never lived in the South myself. Aye, I know the Bible Belt's fame quite well. Like I said, I come from a hardcore Christian family that thinks dinosaur bones are a fabrication of scientists to sway people from Jesus' light into the arms of the Devil, the Sun revolves around the Earth, we are the center of the universe, the Earth is 6,000 years old, and every other religion on Earth is just the Devil in disguise, so on and so forth.

Oh god no....

I pity those people... they act like medieval people... I wonder what makes people believe in something without any evidences.

Ehndras

• Mighty Duke
  • Voidwalker~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 23, 2012, 04:40:28 AM »
I'll explain it.

My Mother is Brazilian and my father was Dutch-American. My father was a genius-IQ CEO of some huge company who fell to depression and became an alcoholic, who then married my mother. My mother is the uneducated son of a farming mogul in Brazil who once owned half of the entire region where my mother's home city is before it became, well, a city. My grandfather was the first of 3 individuals to have telephones within 6 hours (by car, today) of the community in any direction. Back then all this modern scientific stuff was like a bad joke and all of it was vehemently opposed. Well, today the old farming community is a massive, well-funded, economically-booming city that commands our side of the state but many of the people still have the same mentality.

I swear to every God of Mankind that on my block, Rua Esmeralda in Governador Valadares, in the state of Minas Gerais, Brazil, there are, I !@#$ YOU NOT, 12 bars and 17 churches. (Just keep in mind most countries don't have grid set-ups like America and a 'block' can be friggin huge)

Brazilians are fun-loving people who don't take anything seriously - except religion. We take religious REALLY seriously.

Then again, the Dutch are the same way... Either reckless abandon or super-traditional, heh.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 23, 2012, 04:42:27 AM »

The multi-million dollar museum dedicated to proving Young Earth Creationism (or YEC as I like to abbreviate it) is less than an hour from where I live. Have been several times. Very curious place. Neat petting zoo out back. Cool plastic dino's throughout. Amusing mural of St. George killing a T-Rex in the gift shop. Very unfriendly staff who kick you out if you try to discuss theology.

Such people are not usually geocentrists, however. YECers view geocentrists as crackpots. I do know a geocentrist, however. He wants a geocentricity museum. He views geocentrism as reasonable.

In my friend's opinion, Flat Earthers are crackpot pseudo-scientists. The Flat-Earthers, in my e-mail exchanges with them, reject those labels, and will cite a respected study endorsing their opinion: from 1650. Respected by discredited persons.

The Flat Earthers informed me that New Age mysticism is "absolutely discredited" and that astrology "doesn't hold water." I'm unsure what group of persons astrologers view as crackpots. Probably YECers.

All of this just goes to prove a fundamental law of nature: There's Always Someone Crazier Than You.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner