Author Topic: AoE 2 HD  (Read 3337 times)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
AoE 2 HD
« Topic Start: March 11, 2013, 08:13:33 PM »
Yes, it really exists!

I cannot wait to play AoE online again. It's going to be glorious.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
Re: AoE 2 HD
« Reply #1: March 11, 2013, 08:58:53 PM »
...AoE2 with Steam support?

LONGBOWMEN!  ADVANCE!

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 12, 2013, 04:00:05 AM »
Best idea ever. They're gonna make so much money.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 12, 2013, 04:21:42 AM »
I don't know, it doesn't look all that much better. And the gameplay is going to be exactly the same, with the annoying unit AI. I had good times with AOK but it looks disappointing to me. I always wanted to see the game with hundreds of units per side in standard battles, but the engine itself can't handle that even if you mod it, and so it never quite got that epic scale that I so enjoy.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #4: March 12, 2013, 05:17:39 PM »
Yes, awesome. I can hardly wait!

Just wished they'd do something like that for Theme Hospital too. I'd love being able to play it on my current PC. Still have the game, but it always fails or shows graphic problems.

Actually, I play AoE regularly, about at least twice a year, on our local network. Some friends bring their own pcs, and we play to our hearts content. Yes, the AI is mean and overpowered and boring, but playing with friends is still awesome, be it singles, doubles, teams, or even sharing civilizations. Imagine being able to play online again!

Also, Age of Kings just isn't as much fun. I played it twice and never again. Age of Mithology is a bit better. But AoE rules!
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 12, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »
I don't know, it doesn't look all that much better. And the gameplay is going to be exactly the same, with the annoying unit AI. I had good times with AOK but it looks disappointing to me. I always wanted to see the game with hundreds of units per side in standard battles, but the engine itself can't handle that even if you mod it, and so it never quite got that epic scale that I so enjoy.

I know you can't up the population cap past 200, but I do have memories of things like Hero Bloods(?) where everyone would end up with several hundred units apiece. Hopefully we'll see a lot of the old classics like that ported over into the Steam Workshop. Personally I can't wait to get stuck into Castle Bloods again. It has been too long!

Just wished they'd do something like that for Theme Hospital too. I'd love being able to play it on my current PC. Still have the game, but it always fails or shows graphic problems.

You should try the Good Old Games version. No graphic updates but it will work on modern OSes :-)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 20, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
There was a stream of AoE 2 HD multiplayer last night that revealed some interesting things. For one thing, it looks like it's going to be extensively moddable. Despite changes they've made to modernise the game all the old custom scenarios floating around the internet for AoK/AoC will still work perfectly in the HD edition. But the big reveal was that the population limit can now be cranked up to 500 in multiplayer! :-O

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 20, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
Talk about milking the cash cow  ::) though this does make me want to hunt out my old cd...
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell