Author Topic: [Forum Game] Assassins: Murder in Masahakon  (Read 67533 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
[Forum Game] Assassins: Murder in Masahakon
« Topic Start: August 24, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »
The Rules

Assassins is a variant of Werewolf, a game of paranoia, deception and betrayal. The ruler of Cathay has sent a diplomatic mission to Kindara to improve relations and hopefully end the war that devastates their lands. But there are those in both realms who do not want the war to end, and they have hidden Assassins in the Cathayan retinue to murder the Diplomats. The Diplomats outnumber the Assassins, but they don't know who to trust. Meanwhile, the Assassins know their fellow hitmen and can work together to even the odds. The Assassins want to kill enough Diplomats so that they can reach parity and murder the rest of the retinue with impunity; the Diplomats want to end the threat of the Assassins by uncovering their secret identities.

The Diplomats have the aid of a Sage, who can find the true allegiance of the Diplomats. This player must hide their identity just as much as the Assassins, as they are the greatest threat to the Assassins and will surely be killed if revealed.

It may seem like the Diplomats are powerless in this fight, but they are not. Every day the Diplomats gets to choose one person to execute, as punishment for the nightly murder. The Diplomats must vote to choose the person they think most likely to be responsible. With their vote, the Diplomats can reveal much about the motives of others. But they must be cunning, or more than a little lucky, if they are to survive.

Standard Big Rules

All roles will be handed out after the last person signs up, with all players receiving a PM containing their role and (known) traits. The game will then proceed to a night deadline.

The game is divided into two periods - night and day. For practical reasons these two periods are run concurrently, from one update till the next. Each update is 24 hours apart. Both the Assassins (privately) and the Diplomats (publicly) vote to decide who to murder/execute every day. At 5pm forum time each day, the execution will occur first, then the murder. Once the murder has been done, players are free to vote again.

In the case of a tie in execution voting, two or more may be executed. Assassins can also choose not to murder anyone on a particular night.

There are other roles that can be given to players, aside from Diplomat or Assassin. These will be explained later. Except for Diplomat and Assassin, not all Roles may be in every game.

Assassins will be divided into one or more Teams, with one Team hunting each night. The order the Teams hunt in will be known only to them.

The Assassins win if they manage to reach parity with the rest of the retinue. The Diplomats win if they manage to execute all the Assassins.

Standard Assassin Rules

§1A. - You sign up to the game by requesting so in a post in this thread.
§1B. - No new players will be admitted after the game has started, except to substitute for another player.
§1C. - You may at any time be substituted out by requesting so in the thread.
§1D. - Failure to vote on two occasions will lead to immediate substitution.

§2A. – Players will vote daily. See Rule 1D.
§2B. – Invalid votes (Voting for Game Moderator/Ghosts) will not be accepted and be considered to be in violation of Rule 2A.
§2C. – In the event of a tie, all tied players will be executed.
§2D. - The player(s) with the majority of votes at deadline are considered dead. They will not reveal any inside information after the deadline. The presumed dead player(s) should post in purple text until their true role is confirmed.

§3A. - Orders and votes submitted after deadline are ignored.
§3B. - Orders (scans, hunts, et cetera) are sent to the Game Moderator via PM.
§3C. - Players are responsible for any Private Messages missed due to inbox being full.

§4A. - Spectators and ghosts may comment, but never suggest a course of action, reveal any new information (including vote counts) or discuss any details of their former character, in the case of ghosts. Preferably spectators will comment only in a manner tangential to the actual game. This rule is super duper important, and if you break it, terrible and awful things will happen to you!
§4B. - When doing ghost/spectator commentary, please use a non-white colour.

§5. - Alliances and Feuds which aren't based on your characters or roles in the game between players are forbidden. Alliances and Feuds which continue from one game to another undermine the whole idea of the game.

§6A. – The Game Moderator has the last word on all matters.
§6B. – If the Game Moderator makes a mistake (e.g. with the vote count, hunt/scan orders), if critical information has been revealed, the mistake will be kept.

§7A. – Forging PMs is allowed. Screenshots of PMs are not.
§7B. - Posting or quoting of PMs from the GM is not allowed - real or forged.

§8A. – Voting must be done in the following way. Write "VOTE" and the person you are voting for in bold text.
§8B. - If you wish to un-vote someone, write "UNVOTE" and their name in bold text.
§8C. - In case of re-voting without un-voting the original vote will be the counted vote.
§8D. - Do not edit votes after posting them. If you make a mistake, unvote and revote in a new post.
§8E. - Votes should be oversized or clear of other text to ensure they are not missed by the GM.

§9. - The GM can and will remove players if the GM believes they are adversely affecting the game, for example through failure to fulfil voting obligations or deliberate violation of the rules. This will be done through the use of killing the player's role, or using substitutes, if they are available. All such decisions are made solely at the discretion of the GM.

§10. - Failure to vote on 2 occasions without prior notice will result in automatic substitution. If no substitution have been found 6 hours before deadline, the player will be auto-executed at next deadline.

§11 - Most games will start with one player dying on the very first night, without even having gotten to vote or otherwise participate. It sucks to get killed off first, but it's part of the game. On the upside, the first player killed automatically gets first dibs on Substitution, no matter who else has signed up for Subs.

NOTE: For this game an NPC will be the first murdered.

Deadline

The deadline of this game is 17:00 GMT+2 ( <- Forum Time. That's 11AM US Eastern Time)
Votes and orders made on 16:59 will count, while those made on 17:00 WILL NOT.

The Roles

Except for Diplomat and Assassin, all other Roles MAY, not will, be in the game.

Diplomat: The simplest role, a Diplomat knows nothing for sure, but can use the power of his vote to help execute others.

Assassin: A sinister, evil player who, along with his partners, try to eliminate all the good players. Each night, the Assassins hunt a player.

Sage: Can scan one person each night to check to see whether he is an Assassin or a Diplomat.

Guardian Angel: May choose to protect one person against Assassin attack every night, but can't choose to protect the same person two nights in a row and can never protect themselves.

(There are a lot more roles and traits, but we'll keep things simple for this game)

FAQ

1. Do I have to roleplay?

Nope. It's fun and helpful to, but its not required. Some players don't really roleplay at all, and instead simply post votes and accusations, and that's okay too.

2. What do I post?/I don't understand!

You can post anything you like, really. You don't even need to distinguish IC or OOC. Typically Diplomats will post accusations. "I think Velax did it, just because!" or "I think Velax did it, because last turn he voted against the guy who turned out to be an Assassin!" Accusations work better when you can back them up with some reason that you think the person is an Assassin. Trash talking is allowed and encouraged.

3. I'm an Assassin. What do I do?

You pretend to be a Diplomat, but you also conspire with your other Assassins to determine which innocent Diplomat to kill. The Assassins must all agree on a target, but can use whatever means they like for selection. Meanwhile, be sure to steer suspicion away from yourself, so you don't get executed!

4. I'm a Sage!

Great. You can try to figure out who is an Assassin. Communicate wisely though. If you post "Hey, I'm the Sage!", you might find a pack of Assassins visiting you that very night.

5. I'm still confused/I don't know who to vote for!

Either watch other players in action and see how they're doing it, or jump right in yourself. This game is both deadly serious while also quite comical, where people will accuse others for the slightest and most vague of clues, or just in retaliation for voting against them! The first round of voting is difficult, as the only way to try to tell who's an Assassin and who's not is to listen to what people are saying. In later turns you can try to identify patterns, or look for groups that vote together, or people who changed their votes to keep an Assassin from being executed.

6. Are Diplomat votes private or do they go in the main thread?

The votes are very definitely public!

7. Do Assassins vote with the Diplomats?

They certainly do. Assassins want to do everything they can to keep the naive Diplomats from suspecting that they're Assassins. If the Diplomats think you're an Assassin, they'll vote to execute you! So an Assassin's job is not only to kill Diplomats, but also to convince the Diplomats that they're actually innocent Diplomats as well!

8. WTF! I got hunted on the first night! This game sucks!

How did that happen? An NPC should have got executed instead!

9. Aw man, I'm just a Diplomat.

We can't all be Assassins. Have fun being a Diplomat. Root out the evildoers! Try not to be confused for an Assassin and executed by your fellow Diplomats!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:55:41 PM by Velax »

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Re: [Forum Game] Assassins: Murder in Masahakon
« Reply #1: August 24, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
The Players

1. Zakilevo (Assassin) - Killed on Day 3.
2. Ketchum (Diplomat) - Hung on Day 1.
3. Barek (Diplomat - Witness) - Winner
4. Indirik (Assassin) - Hung on Day 4
5. Ross (Diplomat) - Winner
6. Slapsticks (Diplomat) - Murdered on Day 1.
7. Cren (Diplomat) - Winner
8. Lefanis (Sage) - Murdered on Night 3.
9. Yvonne (NPC) - Murdered on Night 0.
10. Penchant (Diplomat) - Winner
11. Fury (Diplomat) Hung on Day 2
12. Sonya (Diplomat) - Murdered on Night 2

The game has begun - no more players. Anyone else who wants to play will be made a sub.

The Substitutes

The Events

Night 0 - Yvonne the Diplomat is brutally murdered while outside the camp.
Day 1 - The Diplomats turn on each other and hang an innocent man. Ketchum protested his innocence, but was not believed. No evidence was found to prove any guilt.
Night 1 - The Assassins take advantage of the tension and confusion to murder Slapsticks as he sleeps in his tent.
Day 2 - Accusations are made and a group led by Barek hangs an innocent Fury.
Night 2 - The Assassins continue their spree, murdering Sonya as she sits down to dinner.
Day 3 - Zakilevo the Assassin is finally caught, killed as he tried to escape the Diplomats and guards who had come to arrest him.
Night 3 - Lefanis the Sage is murdered as he attempted to divine the true identity of one of the retinue.
Day 4 - The final Assassin, Indirik, is caught in the act and hung.

Ross, Penchant, Barek and Cren are the winners!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:12:37 PM by Velax »

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: August 24, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
Sign me up.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 24, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
Count me in. My BM character Ash is a Diplomat, for sure I dont want miss out this one :D
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 24, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
In :)
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 24, 2012, 01:53:54 PM »
I'm in.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ross

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 24, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
In
Atamara:    Dwilight:

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 24, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
in
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Cren

• Mighty Duke
  • Windblack Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 24, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »
In.
Just stay alive and kicking, raise your voice when its needed. Through reason you can show the mistakes of others, something violence can't do.

I don't break rules, I bend them- a lot.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 24, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
If we get another couple of players in the next hour (when the daily deadline is), we'll get started, otherwise it'll start tomorrow instead.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:03:54 PM by Velax »

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 24, 2012, 04:04:53 PM »
I anticipate Lefanis will sign up, and probably a couple others from the other Werewolf game.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 24, 2012, 04:52:02 PM »
I'll do it.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 24, 2012, 04:53:44 PM »
One more!  Someone go rope a buddy in!

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 24, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »
Can a guardian angel accidentally protect an assassin?
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 24, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
Yes.