Author Topic: Newbie Character Count  (Read 14862 times)

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Character Count
« Reply #15: August 30, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
Just have no message groups in the realm and discus most matters in public.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 30, 2012, 11:24:25 AM »
It is also not just about "inactive" realms. Some very active realms have a great deal of their activity in the higher parts of the game. If you aren't part of the right message groups etc you aren't going to be part of it. This is the problem much of the "involvement" in realms can be for solely for established characters in the realm. We need to ensure there is something interesting for new players to do in realm regardless of what the realm is currently up to.

This is what I meant with "it is more a matter of how realms are handled rather than game mechanics": if a realm keeps everything behind closed doors newcomers will be bored and leave, and a realm with fewer knights is weaker.

However the issue Lorgan refers to is that realms handled in this way are not only weaker IC, which would be perfectly fine, but are detrimental to the player basis as they might drive away potential players from bm altogether.

A island-wide newcomers channel, as Tom was suggesting, could partially solve the problem if newcomers become aware that it's really their realm that sucks and not bm as a game :)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 31, 2012, 01:30:21 AM »

Oh great, cause Fontan was a perfect example of efficient communication.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 31, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
Oh great, cause Fontan was a perfect example of efficient communication.

There is a difference though, Fontan was a democracy (i think or republic?). Those realms tend to care more about how things look like then how things actually go just to get the votes, etc. But it's good to have an informed realm where nobles can give their opinion, it makes them feel part of something larger and new nobles are faster part of a realm. It works with a monarchy where in the end there is still one guy or girl calling the shots.

This is better then having all communication restricted to only a few who are directly involved, a lot of newer nobles who aren't part of the clique just sit there and are expected to follow orders of their army. To me this doesn't sound like a fun game. But everyone has his own preferences.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 31, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »

I used to see that a lot more than now. Why? Well, a few very visible spy cases scared most out of that habit. The army system was introduced which took most of the military talk out of the realm wide channel, leaving those not in the army completely out of the loop.

A combination of player actions as well as some design choices have contributed greatly to making even active realms seem dead on the surface.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 31, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
You have to ask yourself the question, what will do more damage to a realm, spies or a realm that seems dead?

I have to admit though, the army talk I have in a special council.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 31, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
That's not such an easy question as it appears. A good spy can kill a realm, in a very demoralizing way. It sucks all the will out of you and can kill the realm's motivation.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #22: August 31, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »
The worst damage that spies do is not the information they get from public discussion, but the fact that due to them, public discussions move to private channels.

Zakilevo

« Reply #23: August 31, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
The worst damage that spies do is not the information they get from public discussion, but the fact that due to them, public discussions move to private channels.

I think this is also affecting new players. They get bored in realms where most of them talk in private channels. You literally have to play half a year or a full year to get enough trust to be in those private channels.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 01, 2012, 05:24:03 AM »
I think this is also affecting new players. They get bored in realms where most of them talk in private channels. You literally have to play half a year or a full year to get enough trust to be in those private channels.

That depends on the realm, but sometimes this is the case, yes.

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 25, 2012, 03:50:40 AM »
At first I was sort of gobsmacked by the extreme lack of things to do in BM. Partly due to the realm I was in (the Fall of Summerdale turned pretty stagnant, pretty quickly) and due to a lack of understanding of the game. This was in a realm with quite a few very active and vocal nobles, with most messages being public, along with plenty of RP'ing to break up the boredom.

So I made a couple of test nobles and adventurers on different islands to learn more about the game and began to discover the depth that lay in the game (fortunately one was in a very active war at the time, so I learnt to appreciate manouver and group tactics).

Then I axed the lot of them and got into playing adventurers. Which has been a barrel of laughs all round. It's suprising just how active you can be with adventurers if you so choose.

Now I've come the full circle and am about to start up a noble again on Dwilight because I want to have some more fun and understand the options, depth and interplay of things far better. She'll no-doubt become my main character and will stick around for a long time.

So my suggestions for new, bored players are:

Make test nobles and adventurers and try some things out, no where near where you intend on actually playing. Then kill them off and start your actual characters. Whilst it may be frowned upon, it takes all the hassle of the learning curve out of the game.

Always have at least one adventurer on your roster. It gives you a different type of thing to do, and you can do more than is made out. The new messaging system is amazing, so ALWAYS contact at least one noble and pledge service. They're then in your contacts list, that you can contact from anywhere in the world. It makes you feel like you're part of something larger.

Join a guild, a religion or both. Bam! Instant interesting message channels open to you. Even if you have no idea what the guild or religion is about, it gives you something to read or do. Whether you're an adventurer or noble, the entry price is worth it.

Once you've done your introduction message and found your estate, message your local lord. Even out-of-character. It gives you an idea of how active they are. Ask them what they'd like you to do. It gives you something to do. If they don't respond after a couple of days, find another estate. The one you're in is going to be boring unless people message a fair bit. Kissing arse to near the top is half of a noble's job anyway.

The amount of characters you start with is a little limiting, but you get another fairly soon afterwards. If you do all of the above, you won't get bored in that first month.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:59:47 AM by Samboji »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 25, 2012, 03:54:21 AM »
Most of all, I think that newbies should be disallowed from dumping their characters in the same place. Having four characters is no better than two if they dump them together into the same two realms instead of all on different continents.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 25, 2012, 03:56:42 AM »
Make test nobles and adventurers and try some things out, no where near where you intend on actually playing. Then kill them off and start your actual characters. Whilst it may be frowned upon, it takes all the hassle of the learning curve out of the game.

That's not really frowned upon. I at least I don't frown upon it - I think that's good advice.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Samboji

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 25, 2012, 04:13:32 AM »
I've got two adventurers on Belluaterra that don't interact at all, and had two on Dwilight (that were going to interact slightly, but one couldn't get payed for general scouting or skulldudgery).

So I'm going to have an adventurer and a noble on Dwilight in the same realm. Fortunately they don't like each other, so any meta-gaming will be in the negative for each character, not the positive. It will be interesting to see how they go at it really.

I've enjoyed having 2 characters on the same island. In a way, it immerses you more deeply in your environment. As long as you don't try exploiting the hell out of it, or overusing your meta-knowledge of things, I think it's a good idea really. Your characters don't really have to like each other, or even know of another's existance. A little meta-gaming is understandable (I will probably never waste time messaging myself completely un-important details), but as long as the characters are seperate entities, not screwing the system, and remain true to how you've played that character's personality, I think it's good. Especially when you're new, it really lets you see the world a little more clearly and gives you an idea of what you can do, and what you shouldn't do. There's no need to buddy-up with yourself. That's boring. There's hundreds of other players to do that with. At least you don't know exactly what they'll do, and that's half the fun.

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 25, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
Our new player problem is indeed quite dificult to solve.
I managed to convince quite a few people into playing but most of them stopped.
The main problem i see is that they don't quickly grasp the idea of progress in the game that is so unqie to BM.
In most games people are told what there goals are so the gamer can be creative inf idning a way to reach that goal.
In BM you have to make up your own goals and then try to reach them threw interaction with other players.

Most players that started the game just couldnt change there thinking and couldnt make up a goal for there characters.

That is why i believe we could use some sort of helpline during the first month(s) that will guide the player in characterizing there characters and family more and setting goals who they will reach and gain some extra H/p for.
Thegame could first start with guiding the character to recruit a decent unit, join an army, get an estate fight some battles  against monsters undead and humans. and from there it could help the player choose a career, military, economic, religious, administrative, the guide would then further suggest goals and ways of reaching those goals.
(example: economic firsts tep could be to try and become a steward, change class and get a few trades at last the guide suggest the player to perhaps look for becoming just rich or also pwoerful as banker)
This way all the wiki help files could be givin to the player exactly when he needs them and when he will most likley want to read it with focus.
It also helps a player stay motivated and truly get to know the game before it quites.

This system will also welcome players more, as the game keeps helping the player and motivating the player.
At the same time, the new message system could be useful to help new players in specific quistions and offcourse the so valuable personal expirience from an old BM character with knowledge.

Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog