Poll

Which of the followig features would you like to see implemented first?

Show list of realm armies - name, marshal and sponsor http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=5263
43 (10.5%)
Let Bankers know who stewards are http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=5012
38 (9.2%)
Temporary Standing Orders http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=4049
26 (6.3%)
Rework Rank http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=6666
45 (10.9%)
Transaction Data For Trade Statistics Page http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=6660
16 (3.9%)
Siege engines in scout reports http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=4838
63 (15.3%)
Automatic Market offers http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=6611
61 (14.8%)
Erecting statues and monuments http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,2150.0/wap2.html
68 (16.5%)
OOC message all chars http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=3239
21 (5.1%)
Lord ability to deposit into local treasuries of local guildhouses http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=5747
30 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: September 05, 2012, 05:21:24 AM

Author Topic: Voting for Your Favorite Feature  (Read 58825 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Voting for Your Favorite Feature
« Reply #30: September 08, 2012, 11:30:45 PM »
"As a condition of surrender, every one of your regions must have a monument, stating your full acceptance of war guilt, pledging your eternal peacefulness, stating that Keplerstan is a better nation than Evilstan, and reminding you of the dates on which your tribute is due. These statues shall be maintained in perpetuity."

"No! Never! We will never surrender to Keplerstan, no matter how many of our regions you take! Surrendering to you is something only cowardly scum would do!"

...Or, alternatively, they just never answer you. Even when the Daimons are destroying their regions and you're asking if they want your help to not die.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: September 08, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
Surrender conditions such as that are why we have so many wars to the death. The victors demand humiliating and unacceptable terms. If you really want your enemy to surrender, you have to toss them a bone. Insult them with your terms, regardless of how righteous and justified you think they are, and you practically guarantee that the war continues.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: September 09, 2012, 01:37:26 AM »
Surrender conditions such as that are why we have so many wars to the death. The victors demand humiliating and unacceptable terms. If you really want your enemy to surrender, you have to toss them a bone. Insult them with your terms, regardless of how righteous and justified you think they are, and you practically guarantee that the war continues.

Depends.  Currently, humiliating and unacceptable terms equate to "things that make us less able to fight the next war".  I'd be interested to see how often surrender terms which had no effect on your ability to fight the next war were accepted.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 09, 2012, 04:38:47 AM »
Depends.  Currently, humiliating and unacceptable terms equate to "things that make us less able to fight the next war".  I'd be interested to see how often surrender terms which had no effect on your ability to fight the next war were accepted.

I've seen so many realms that were simply unable to admit that they'd lost a war. They would literally rather let the realm die than acknowledge that they had lost the war, because any kind of peace deal (whether it was called surrender terms or not) would have necessitated that. (After all, if they hadn't lost the war, then why weren't they still fighting for their goals in the war?)

The most egregious, of course, was Luz de Bia, who even before they let themselves be destroyed by Daimons rather than let Riombara help them survive, refused to accept any peace deal that didn't amount to Riombara surrendering to them. Even after they'd lost half their regions, including their capital.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: September 09, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
I've seen so many realms that were simply unable to admit that they'd lost a war.

I've seen any number as well.  It's rather puzzling to me, especially since most of the really successful characters in the game have accepted less than complete success at some point.  Anything we can do to change this would be excellent, but I freely admit I'm not sure whether this particular feature will help or not.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #35: September 09, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »
I'm just going to call it now, this is one of those ideas that will feel like a good idea now, but once it's implemented, turns out to have been a waste of time because nearly (emphasis on the nearly) everyone will use their gold and time for what they view to be better things.

Never underestimate vanity. People pay real life money in other games for skins or such like.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: September 09, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
I sense several statues to medicant rising quickly. Who knows? They may even be a way to spring that Medicant-central religion the gets talked about so much.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: September 09, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »
As something not directly related to increasing the CS of the armed forces, statues and monuments will be illegal in Aurvandil. Or, at best, frowned on and ridiculed, just like buying unique items.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: September 09, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
As something not directly related to increasing the CS of the armed forces, statues and monuments will be illegal in Aurvandil. Or, at best, frowned on and ridiculed, just like buying unique items.

haha maybe! I would actually rofl if that happened.

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: September 23, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »

Wrong, Spending Aurvandils gold on unique items is bad. Your own family wealth is fine. And I'm pretty sure the High Sovereign would like some monuments...

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #40: September 23, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
"your own family wealth", i.e. other realms' gold.  -_-
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Lanyon

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: September 23, 2012, 11:29:52 PM »
"your own family wealth", i.e. other realms' gold.  -_-
That's some pretty strong hateraid you're drinking :P

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: September 23, 2012, 11:42:29 PM »
That's some pretty strong hateraid you're drinking :P
if you can't use Aurvandil gold on them then he is right.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: September 24, 2012, 12:17:45 AM »
if you can't use Aurvandil gold on them then he is right.

Why would a realm tolerate its nobles being given gold to recruit troops and then using it to buy vanity at a time where Aurvandil can't trip for starting a new war. And nobles certainly shouldn't buy vanities then request gold from the realm to pay their men that is rude to an extreme.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #44: September 24, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »
Why would a realm tolerate its nobles being given gold to recruit troops and then using it to buy vanity at a time where Aurvandil can't trip for starting a new war. And nobles certainly shouldn't buy vanities then request gold from the realm to pay their men that is rude to an extreme.

That much is obvious, any realm thinks like that.  My point was the logic behind "use your family wealth" to buy Unique Items is flawed.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.