Author Topic: Advies  (Read 12281 times)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Advies
« Topic Start: March 31, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »
Is it working as intended when I spend an hour looking for Monsters/Undead yet gain 2 hours worth of fatigue?
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Re: Advies
« Reply #1: April 01, 2011, 12:40:27 AM »
If you go looking for undead in real life, you'll lose a lot more than just an hour and two fatigue  8)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #2: April 01, 2011, 12:53:28 AM »
Mm, fatigue...The bane of Leia's existence as the Colonies' half rate regen is making it a difficult decision between searching for loot and battling monsters for other loot. And just about everything causes fatigue except resting, and messages, mostly.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #3: April 01, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
there is no 1:1 relationship between hours and fatigue. There is no such thing as "an hour of fatigue".

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #4: April 01, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
Not at all except for the normal resting option, which does in fact do 1:1. Unless there's something weird about it that doesn't appear after about a couple hundred different variations on that resting option? (Yes, I have tried normal resting at each hour increment before)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 01, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
there is no 1:1 relationship between hours and fatigue. There is no such thing as "an hour of fatigue".

Ah right, I probably just never took enough notice of it then.

Cheers anywho
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #6: April 01, 2011, 08:49:20 PM »
By the way, I just investigated the situation in Sonoval, and it was 2 hours spent searching, 1 fatigue gained, not the other way around. Whether this value changes is something I can look into I suppose.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 02, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »
Hmm, we should turn this thread into a general advies one. There is so much to ask and learn about them, and the thread title is suited to it.

For starters: it is very irritating that relics often need a city item or oil. Was this done deliberately?

Seconds: do all (or even most) items that an advy picks up get used in one way or another, or are there some that can be sold outright?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #8: April 02, 2011, 01:48:52 AM »
1. By relics I assume you mean unique items. Who knows whether it's intentional, or whether the code that generates "random" required items is truly random. Unless one joins the development team, one would likely never know. And even so, it's not like it helps much. Unique items probably aren't supposed to be that easy to make, or there would be even more adventurers running around with tons of gold and 20+ prestige.

2. Since the list of items for making uniques and scrolls is random (maybe), all items have potential uses. I've never seen a bedroll required by a sage or wizard though, so if you have a tent, then the bedroll can probably go.

Hyral

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 02, 2011, 03:50:58 AM »
1. By relics I assume you mean unique items. Who knows whether it's intentional, or whether the code that generates "random" required items is truly random.

I'm not sure about how the list of items is generated, but it seems that the sages (with their list of required items) move around the map.  I think that's why we occasionally come across the same list (of course, I have no proof)

2. Since the list of items for making uniques and scrolls is random (maybe), all items have potential uses. I've never seen a bedroll required by a sage or wizard though, so if you have a tent, then the bedroll can probably go.

I've never seen a sage ask for a 'usable item' either, but you can't use a tent in the city so if your advy wants to rest on the cheap it's best to keep the bedroll! It's good to keep the "junk" item as well (why does everyone want to throw it away?), let them pile up and sell a bunch for toll money if you ever get stuck :p

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: April 02, 2011, 04:03:20 AM »
The sages do move around. There's actually documentation on the wiki about it. The reliability is, as many things go, dependent on the reader.

And yeah, I agree with keeping items. They don't cause any weight burden, unlike some games (Actually I'm surprised that having all those items doesn't cause some sort of fatigue penalty. Don't take that as a feature request.) and they can be used in a pinch for gold. Or in the case of honey and beer, they decrease fatigue in increments of 2 per use (From what I have observed so far) without taking away from your time pool. Those are mighty useful items.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 02, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
I never throw away items, and don't understand why you would even do that.

Wouldn't it be cool if the Sages had some kind of names? So you could actually link Sage A's appearance here with his appearance in another place :) It wouldn't just have to be Sage Frank Kepler, but more like a whole set of names, as nobody really knows who the sages are :)

And another thing: the prestige bonus on Uniques, how does that really work? I suppose it just gives you a bonus for as long as you carry the item, but in a way that seems pretty useless. Perhaps they should instead offer a bonus to the amount of prestige/honour you gain after each battle? I mean, in the battle report it also says "XXXX has been spotted wearing/reading/... the XXXX", so wouldn't that indicate that person just got more prestige?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #12: April 02, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
That would be pretty neat if sages and wizards got named sort of like how uniques are, so at all times there can only be one sage named "Wise Hermit of Doom" on a continent.

The item prestige bonus is more useful for higher prestige characters I think, as by that time prestige gains are fairly difficult. Items also sometimes give bonuses to skills, and can now be improved by adventurers to gain such secondary bonuses if they don't come naturally.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: April 02, 2011, 07:53:31 PM »
And yeah, I agree with keeping items. They don't cause any weight burden, unlike some games (Actually I'm surprised that having all those items doesn't cause some sort of fatigue penalty.

Indeed. I was  thinking just yesterday that I should get out an RP about my magical bag that I got from one of the sages :)

And yes, It would be nice if the sages had names, or at least something to identify them apart. Like a stick through their hair, or deer head on his..head etc
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:55:10 PM by Bael »

wraith

• Knight
  • Da Hadez Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: April 02, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
In my experience sages are only available at certain (random?) times in the day,

When desperate to find a sage in a region I start with full hours then check to see if one is around, if not I spend an hour from my pool doing something (resting, gathering etc) then check again, continue until you find one (or not). Seems to be the best way to find a sage. If *really* desperate you can just check every hour (real time) when you gain an hour in-game for 24 hours. That way if there is a sage in the region you'd almost certainly find them. Of course, that required commitment. (I know a good institution if you do need committed)  ;)
"There are 11 kinds of people in the world; those who do not understand binary, those who think they understand binary and those who understand endianness."