Author Topic: History of the Far East Island  (Read 35386 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: History of the Far East Island
« Reply #30: April 13, 2013, 11:55:47 PM »
Scarlett tells the history of FEI from around 2005/2006 with Lasanar and all...

Good times indeed, Scarlett :) I was sad to see Lasanar was all gone when I came back to the game. I see on the video that it sure happend fast. Total collapse is what it looks like.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: April 14, 2013, 01:08:47 AM »
Wait, are you the same Kain from before? Aethius Kain? That's a name I haven't heard in a long time!

It'd be awesome to try and re-start Lasanar once we're done killing Sorraine. The FEI needs a big, meaty Republic again.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 14, 2013, 01:14:47 AM »
Wait, are you the same Kain from before? Aethius Kain? That's a name I haven't heard in a long time!

It'd be awesome to try and re-start Lasanar once we're done killing Sorraine. The FEI needs a big, meaty Republic again.
You are funny. It has only began, but so far Cathay is getting their butt kicked without much evidence showing that won't continue.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: April 14, 2013, 01:17:31 AM »
You will never kill Sorraine! You heathens!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 14, 2013, 01:26:24 AM »
Oh I agree it's pretty unlikely that we'll kill the Empire. But Sorraine, they're already halfway through the 'not dead yet' Monty Python sketch. I don't get credit for that.

"I'm feeling better!"

*club*

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: April 14, 2013, 01:50:42 AM »
I feel like going for a walk.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 14, 2013, 04:06:09 AM »
Oh, Thain can go about yelling "Bring out yer dead!"
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: April 14, 2013, 04:33:25 AM »

Haha yes, one and the same. I was surprised you remembered the names so well. I had almost forgotten about Milan Von Krondor  :-[ but now when I am reminded it feels like yesterday.

It is fun to see that Galiard is still breathing. I'm afraid Aethius stopped doing so a long time ago.

It would indeed be fun with a meaty (love the choice of word) republic. There is certainly room for one if Sorraine dies ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:48:28 AM by Kain »

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 14, 2013, 06:21:24 AM »
The irony is that Galiard was so set upon making Cathay a Kingdom (rather than another Republic) because he was so tired of the political conflicts in Lasanar - but those conflicts kept the place lively. Cathay has stagnated a couple times, once when Galiard was there (though not King) and once while I was away from BM, and suffered badly for it.  Lasanar had its fractious moments but it was never dull.

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: April 14, 2013, 06:40:42 AM »
Lasanar had its fractious moments but it was never dull.

It sounds a bit like Luria
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 14, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
The irony is that Galiard was so set upon making Cathay a Kingdom (rather than another Republic) because he was so tired of the political conflicts in Lasanar - but those conflicts kept the place lively. Cathay has stagnated a couple times, once when Galiard was there (though not King) and once while I was away from BM, and suffered badly for it.  Lasanar had its fractious moments but it was never dull.

Yeah, I think I personally enjoy the elections and the liveliness. It keeps those in power on their toes a little since they can just be voted out if they're inactive and a bright personality comes along. Now when I think of it, I do believe my chars have been nothing but Prime Ministers other than for very short times (like dictator of Summerdale for a few days and dictator of Oligarch but reformed it instantly to a republic).

I kinda miss it. Almost every realm is a monarchy these days (at least on some islands). But of course, a monarchy can be very much like a republic or a democracy too now since you can customize it in a way you couldn't do before.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:44:03 PM by Kain »

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: April 14, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »
Almost every realm is a monarchy these days (at least on some islands). But of course, a monarchy can be very much like a republic or a democracy too now since you can customize it in a way you couldn't do before.

Kindara is a Monarchy, though the Ruler is elected monthly and the Judge quarterly. It adds the edge of a Republic without us actually calling it a republic.

Of course, Edmund has always run unopposed, as did Tissaphernes before him, so I'm not sure how well the monthly system is working as intended.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: April 14, 2013, 04:32:12 PM »
Kindara is a Monarchy, though the Ruler is elected monthly and the Judge quarterly. It adds the edge of a Republic without us actually calling it a republic.

Of course, Edmund has always run unopposed, as did Tissaphernes before him, so I'm not sure how well the monthly system is working as intended.

That is a good example. So what is left of being a monarchy? Probably harder to protest the ruler (and council) out of office? The council members might be able to hold several titles at once? I know at least that there were restrictions on that in republics and democracies before.

Regarding the unopposed in elections. It is the same in republics/democracies. Few will stand for election if they know their chances of winning are minimal. But that probably also means that there is no one in the realm "the people" trusts would do a better job (at least no one that wants to have these positions).

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 14, 2013, 04:51:59 PM »
So what is left of being a monarchy? Probably harder to protest the ruler (and council) out of office? The council members might be able to hold several titles at once? I know at least that there were restrictions on that in republics and democracies before.

As far as mechanics go, I'm honestly not sure. Our original rule was that no council member could hold landed titles and then that changed when we needed active bodies in regions. We were also going to prevent council members from being Dukes, but that changed too out of necessity. Edmund has never held a landed title, so the ruler is still expected to not hold titles so far.

It's been a long time since I played in a republic to it's hard to compare. Most of what we use to distinguish ourselves from a republic is pretty much roleplay. Republic is something of a dirty word in Kindara and Kindarans tend to see it as beneath them even while we vote for positions.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 14, 2013, 05:57:20 PM »
I've thought about doing that for Cathay - a regularly electable Monarch. It is sort of a 'best of both worlds.' Probably a decision for Galiard's successor to make, though.

Cathay also has an informal rule whereby the King cannot hold any land except for regions added to the realm under his reign. So Galiard could not become Duke of Anacan, but because Cathay expanded under his rule (er, until recently) he could take Haul.

One thing that Lasanar never did was to have individual reigon lordships be electable. I've seen this tried elsewhere and it never seems to work well. You get election fatigue and the people voting don't have much of a stake in the outcome. In Lasanar we could get people interested in voting for Judge and Ruler once a month but probably not more than that.