Author Topic: History of the Far East Island  (Read 35378 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: History of the Far East Island
« Reply #45: April 14, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »
I've thought about doing that for Cathay - a regularly electable Monarch. It is sort of a 'best of both worlds.' Probably a decision for Galiard's successor to make, though.

Cathay also has an informal rule whereby the King cannot hold any land except for regions added to the realm under his reign. So Galiard could not become Duke of Anacan, but because Cathay expanded under his rule (er, until recently) he could take Haul.

One thing that Lasanar never did was to have individual reigon lordships be electable. I've seen this tried elsewhere and it never seems to work well. You get election fatigue and the people voting don't have much of a stake in the outcome. In Lasanar we could get people interested in voting for Judge and Ruler once a month but probably not more than that.

Interesting rule. Like a special reward for the monarch for expanding :D

Indeed, I agree. Election fatigue is not good. Lordships should probably stay appointed. You can also have less often concerning some of the council, i.e ruler and judge election every month, general and banker every three months.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: April 14, 2013, 07:09:01 PM »
You get election fatigue and the people voting don't have much of a stake in the outcome.

Yeah, I've never seen lordship elections actually work since half the time you end with no one actually running. Kindara appoints every lordship position no matter what it is.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: April 14, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »
Regular, especially monthly, elections are a nasty piece of work, with one exception: realms with a very high noble density, leading to competition. Otherwise they are not just pointless, but detrimental to the system.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: April 14, 2013, 10:48:01 PM »
Regular, especially monthly, elections are a nasty piece of work, with one exception: realms with a very high noble density, leading to competition. Otherwise they are not just pointless, but detrimental to the system.

They've been ineffective for us. I've considered having Edmund bring up the idea of changing them to quarterly in the past, or dropping them altogether, but I always get distracted by something else whenever I do think of it. In the middle of all the mess happening now doesn't seem the best time either.

I'm not sure I've seen monthly elections held anywhere else I've played.

Are there any realms left in FEI that elect the ruler? I know Ohnar West did at one point, though I don't remember seeing notifications for them in a while.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: April 14, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
They've been ineffective for us. I've considered having Edmund bring up the idea of changing them to quarterly in the past, or dropping them altogether, but I always get distracted by something else whenever I do think of it. In the middle of all the mess happening now doesn't seem the best time either.

When I added monthly elections for High Lord, we had something like 40-50 players, some playing multiple characters, in Kindara. There is about half that number now, I don't think we'd lose anything by going to quarterly elections. 

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #50: June 01, 2014, 03:32:08 PM »
That map is a really interesting thing to watch. Despite the constant changes it is nice to see some things remained constant. That said the Akadian League (there for about three months?) was the first realm I had a major hand in trying to establish and run along with Vita. Von Genf too. Sad we were so hopelessly divided because of our own bickering, had a good thing going. Except for the constant turnover over leaders.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: June 02, 2014, 05:53:13 AM »
We had fun. That was what mattered.

Haerthorne

• Marketing
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Haerthorne Family
« Reply #52: June 02, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
We kicked Ohnar West in the shins like drunk toddlers. That was what mattered.
All day every day.
Returning player, player of the Haerthorne family, marketing team member, and prospective fixer-upper-er of the wiki.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: June 03, 2014, 12:59:28 AM »
Are there any realms left in FEI that elect the ruler? I know Ohnar West did at one point, though I don't remember seeing notifications for them in a while.

That was how I was elected ruler of Coralynth.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: June 03, 2014, 01:29:52 AM »
Well, that post was from more than a year ago, but I think he was referring to rulerships that are up for election on a monthly basis.

Qyasogk

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: June 03, 2014, 05:11:24 AM »
Whoops, didn't realize I was replying to such an old conversation. I think electing your ruler monthly sounds like a recipe for a schizophrenic realm.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: June 03, 2014, 06:20:24 AM »
Whoops, didn't realize I was replying to such an old conversation. I think electing your ruler monthly sounds like a recipe for a schizophrenic realm.
I don't see monthly as a great idea but quarterly seems fine especially in republics and democracies where rulers hold less power on policy.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: June 03, 2014, 02:51:58 PM »
Quarterly provides a good mix of change-by-election and medium-term-stability. Monthly elections quickly turn into election fatigue, because you spend darn near 20% of your time having elections. It's even worse when someone occasionally loses an office, and you have to elect someone else. All those constant elections quickly become more irritating than beneficial.

Quarterly FTW!
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.