Author Topic: History of the Far East Island  (Read 35371 times)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: History of the Far East Island
« Reply #15: November 30, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »
It was 2008, I believe. Check out the history video; that will tell you exactly.

Yes, early 2008, you're right.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 30, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »
So... when did the Lasanar breakup occur anyway?

I always figured Galliard liked to speak of Lasanar because he's like 700 years old, not that it was a recent occurence.

You're not wrong. Galiard arrived in the Far East in 2005, and by that point Lasanar had already been around for a while. It was the big power in the North with five Duchies (Sasrhas, Ozrat, Ossaet, Akanos, and Colasan) and a close alliance with neighboring Ethiala (Topenah, Talex, Lasop) - the two realms together were a big power bloc and Arcaea was fighting a losing war with them at the time. If I remember correctly -- and I don't know this part for sure since it was before my time -- Lasanar was the first Republic in the game, ruled by Tom's character back when Tom told people who his characters were until coming to the conclusion that this was a Bad Idea and then his character, Lasanar's (first?) PM, was never heard from again.

When I arrived it was run by Milan von Krondor. There are still a couple players in the Far East who were already in power of some kind then - I think the Equar family had the Duke of Colasan. The 'big bad guy' was Nighthelm in the South and/or the '~V~' guild, neither of which I had much familiarity with because as difficult as it may be to imagine now, Galiard was quiet and did what he was told without asking too many questions.

Milan anointed Aethius Kain as his successor and Galiard as Judge, and they were partners for a long time - that's when Galiard got his first notoriety, for executing two rebellious Dukes of Colasan. Aethius stepped down but Galiard didn't want the job and so became Duke of Ossaet and then General right around the time of what I would say was Lasanar's last golden age, though I credit an ensemble cast much more than Galiard individually: there were maybe seven or eight really good players at the time, players who could play out differing political views without being reduced to vulgarity and death duels, and through a lot of churn and bustle Lasanar topped off at (I think?) about 27,000 CS. It still took us a bloody long time to beat Antoza because of the geography, but it was pretty exciting stuff. That would've been in 2007, so in late 2007 you had two things that really hit Lasanar:  brain drain from the formation of Cathay and then the departure of many good players (and also myself) from both Cathay and Lasanar when a lot of unfortunate bugs conspired to make almost the entire continent starve, and after a long effing war nobody had any juice left to do what used to be required to very slowly restore a region. It's much easier now.

Most of what I know of Lasanar after Cathay's creation is secondhand. Milan was still there and he tried to patch things up, but he had disregarded advice Galiard had given a long time ago and not done anything to remove Vulpes de Zorro from power - Vulpes wasn't a bad guy but he was your classic 'can't be bothered' player who sat on ducal and sometimes ruler positions and didn't react until the place was on fire. Lasanar attracted malcontents from other realms and turned on Ethiala,  and even though they didn't end up winning anything in the war they managed to kill the ruler in a skirmish (Galiard's more popular cousin, Septimus). Septimus' successor was a Leonidas and I don't have to tell you how that turned out.

Without strong governance, Lasanar went the way of most Republics and became a collection of miniature Duke-Kings with a weak PM. This was also the point when Arcaea was going downhill and Cathay and Aenilia were filling the vacuum.  You probably arrived right when Ohnar was created, and Galiard holds the view that Ohnar at its best days was on par with Lasanar during its mediocre days. Not necessarily because of any one ruler but because the realm was set up as a sort of maintenance mode for autonomous Dukes (like Taylin) and never had either a strong identity or much of a central government. Kind of like 11-12th century France but without the red wine.

The biggest reason you didn't hear about it is probably because most of the players from its high point ('06/'07) aren't around anymore, but as you can see from the video, it was around for quite a while.

Hroppa

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: November 30, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »
I remember Septimius' death; it happened shortly after I joined the game. I really regret my old account's vanishing during my period of absence, or I'd still have a character around to talk about those days. Septimius was a fun martyr figure.

Ender

• Noble Lord
  • Neill Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 30, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
The 'big bad guy' was Nighthelm in the South and/or the '~V~' guild, neither of which I had much familiarity with because as difficult as it may be to imagine now, Galiard was quiet and did what he was told without asking too many questions.

I can attest to some of that since my first Far East character, Cid, arrived in 2005 as well. I remember Nighthelm being the realm everyone was out to get (at least in Soliferum) and arguments broke out between people who supported or were members of ~V~ and their detractors constantly. I remember a few duels being fought over the issue.

My only real memory of Nighthelm was a short stay in their dungeons and associating them we some very shady people. Wasn't there some bit about their ruler potentially being host to a demonic possession or something of that nature or am I mixing that up with something else?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:39:35 PM by Ender »

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 30, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
I am always sad about how much of the history of the FEI I missed during my long break from BM.

Lasanar was still going strong when I left, I recall they had recently destroyed a realm in the north that I had a character in, and that character then fled to Nighthelm.

Morgan and Nighthelm didn't get along, I can't recall if it cam to actual war before I left or not . . . I recall a lot of arguments on the ruler channel, though.  But then I got wounded and lost rulership, and then I got very sick in RL and stopped playing, and ended up not coming back for a couple years.  And everything had changed. . . .

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: December 01, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »
The biggest reason you didn't hear about it is probably because most of the players from its high point ('06/'07) aren't around anymore, but as you can see from the video, it was around for quite a while.

That's quite right, of all the names you cite de Zorro is the only one that rings a bell. When I started in Ohnar West the big honchos were Louis Lious, Cornelius Hsieh, Balthazar Bathgate and Hamilton Vita. I got quickly involved in the Akadian League, and no one referred at all to Lasanar then.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: December 01, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »
Louis Lious, Cornelius Hsieh, Balthazar Bathgate and Hamilton Vita

Only Bathgate was around when Lasanar was (or had anything to do with it, anyway) and he was more involved with Sartania.

Never heard of those other guys.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: December 10, 2012, 01:32:10 AM »
I can attest to some of that since my first Far East character, Cid, arrived in 2005 as well. I remember Nighthelm being the realm everyone was out to get (at least in Soliferum) and arguments broke out between people who supported or were members of ~V~ and their detractors constantly. I remember a few duels being fought over the issue.

My only real memory of Nighthelm was a short stay in their dungeons and associating them we some very shady people. Wasn't there some bit about their ruler potentially being host to a demonic possession or something of that nature or am I mixing that up with something else?

Nighthelm was the power house for a very long time.   ~V~ was slightly associated with Nighthelm, but a major RP component from ~V~ was the nature of demons and hunting for those from a shadier guild (which I can't recall the name of, however its proponents were wide spread over the island and it focused on creating wars and chaos to fuel . . .well something to do).    It turned out that some of the more influential members from Soliferum were part of the Guild (as were secretly Nighthelm) so Nighthelm and ~V~ were out to destroy Soliferum, and the other way around as well.

It created a lot of very good wars - the death of Paladin King Gul'Dan brought about huge changes in Nighthelm and eventually led to its decline as the next few rulers fought with the Dukes, ~V~, and the Order of the Elders all which had strong influences in Nighthelm.  However it was all IC - as many of the infuential players in Nighthelm were friends (as were those in Soliferum).   We effectively destroyed Nighthelm ourselves with IC rivalries.   The united Soliferum didn't help, and their ability to negotiate quite well with other realms.   The fact that Nighthelm always viewed Soliferum as a snake. .  :D  Good times.

FEI probably is the island I had the most fun on playing in Nighthelm; the politics, intrigue, and sheer hate between neighbouring Realms always kept us at the brink of war and kept people active.   Sadly I haven't felt the same about playing on FEI since.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: December 10, 2012, 10:58:46 PM »
Nighthelm was the power house for a very long time.   ~V~ was slightly associated with Nighthelm, but a major RP component from ~V~ was the nature of demons and hunting for those from a shadier guild (which I can't recall the name of, however its proponents were wide spread over the island and it focused on creating wars and chaos to fuel . . .well something to do).

Chaos Requiem.

I wish Nighthelm was still around.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: December 11, 2012, 01:20:47 AM »
Chaos Requiem.

I wish Nighthelm was still around.

Yea, those were good times.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: December 11, 2012, 02:23:51 AM »
Yea, those were good times.

Indeed.   Never a dull moment.

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: December 11, 2012, 07:32:45 AM »
Indeed.   Never a dull moment.

Colored blocks, rubber chickens, devouring Einar's cookies, hunting the Chaos Requiem, bashing pirates, hating Soliferum and even the occasional duel over a woman. Nighthelm had it all.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Valast

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: March 05, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
~V~ actually stretched across the entire continent...but the South is where it was strongest.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Hall_of_Blood_and_Battle

It has been revived with a hall in  Mnalor of Coralynth and another in the south but can not recall which region.  BUT so far it has been a lack luster attempt to revive it.  Part of the problem is RL time... I just cant delicate the time to making it a living and acting guild.  Back when it was first founded I had my character travel across the entire continent announcing the guild and inviting those with a true warriors spirit to join. 

Eventually it will grow again but not until it has an enemy to fight and other players who are interested in taking it where it needs to go.

Those were the good ole days.  When the Grand Lodge broke free from Soliferum and ~V~ had enough pull to talk its nations into war just to allow the ~V~ warriors to fight.  Then the Chaos Requiem and its evil that needed to be crushed...  Sanctum of Casshern...

I miss that Far East Island...

ScooterMcCabe

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: April 04, 2013, 04:37:38 AM »
Lasanar attracted malcontents from other realms and turned on Ethiala,  and even though they didn't end up winning anything in the war they managed to kill the ruler in a skirmish (Galiard's more popular cousin, Septimus). Septimus' successor was a Leonidas and I don't have to tell you how that turned out.

Let it go already that was well over 5 years ago, or did the recent attempt at regime change in the "Democratic People's Republic of Cathay" just happen to make that all come crashing back?

To be fair I only inherited what you created, you allowed that Duke in Lasop who could barely speak English to think he could turn the duchy into a "special economic zone" or whatever he called it.  I did manage to follow him to Dwilight and get the whole of Madina to oust him as ruler for his screwing around(not hard).  I had a nice run till it became a daily political intrigue to just log in, we had Arcaea pulling its magnum opus along with the other realms politically reshuffling.  It was a lot of fun.

Scarlett

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: April 04, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »
To be fair I only inherited what you created, y

Septimus had the Duke of Lasop well in hand (Dieter de Blanc). But he hated you, so the moment you took over, it was over.