Author Topic: History of Religion  (Read 6605 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: History of Religion
« Reply #15: September 17, 2012, 01:05:05 AM »
Because he was an identifiable culprit. There is still quite a difference between "not secret" and "public".

I fail to see what it changes. He just needs to join up for 1 second to get access to the list and note it down. Then the damage is done. It's not as if I could ban the members of certain realms to join the faith to begin with, knowing who did it doesn't bring me anything. It's obviously someone from a realm waging a crusade against the faith, so he's immune to any kind of reprisal.

No better than had people been able to publicly see this data though some new feature. Indeed, at least this way it wouldn't feel like a blatant violation of fair play.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 17, 2012, 01:12:43 AM »
I fail to see what it changes. He just needs to join up for 1 second to get access to the list and note it down. Then the damage is done. It's not as if I could ban the members of certain realms to join the faith to begin with, knowing who did it doesn't bring me anything. It's obviously someone from a realm waging a crusade against the faith, so he's immune to any kind of reprisal.

No better than had people been able to publicly see this data though some new feature. Indeed, at least this way it wouldn't feel like a blatant violation of fair play.

Joining and then instantly leaving is obviously an abuse of game mechanics. Though I agree that lesser members of the faith should not be permitted to see a list of all followers and temples without the consent of the elders

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #17: September 17, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

Are you arguing just for the sake of it? You sometimes have that weakness, you know?

There is still a difference. First, you have to travel to a temple. Second, messages are generated when you join and leave. You can't do it without anyone noticing.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 17, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
Are you arguing just for the sake of it? You sometimes have that weakness, you know?

There is still a difference. First, you have to travel to a temple. Second, messages are generated when you join and leave. You can't do it without anyone noticing.

I'm saying that traveling to a temple is easy, and that being noticed doesn't give the infiltrated religion any advantage or compensation.

Any !@#$%^& can easily find any religion's spread. That he maybe get noticed (really, in this case, the guy blatantly insulted the other faithful when he did..., otherwise he could easily pretend to be a legitimate member) is really of no consolation. I've never done so because I personally find it to be of extremely poor taste and to be contrary of fair play, but there are a few things like this that !@#$%^&s can easily do to screw with religions.

If religion data became truly public, at least it'd be coherent with the whole "religion is no secret" rhetoric I was given and it would put !@#$%^&s and fair players on the same level strategically.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #19: September 17, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
I'm saying that traveling to a temple is easy, and that being noticed doesn't give the infiltrated religion any advantage or compensation.

True for one religion. Trying to piece together a map of all the major religions on the island will take either a lot of time (by which the first data is already outdated) or massive teamwork. It requires doing something in-game, either abandoning other things you could do instead, or recruiting more people to help you out.

In other words: It offers gameplay instead of a button to click.

If religion data became truly public, at least it'd be coherent with the whole "religion is no secret" rhetoric I was given and it would put !@#$%^&s and fair players on the same level strategically.

Sorry, but you still don't get it. Religions aren't secret societies, but that doesn't mean everything about them is for public display. If in your thinking there are only two kinds of information: Secret and public, then you are missing a lot of the nuances of both real life and BattleMaster.