Author Topic: There are rich pirates in D'Hara  (Read 39993 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: There are rich pirates in D'Hara
« Reply #15: September 07, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »
I get your point but on the priest side it isn't that great that they will randomly lose their money and have nothing to defend themselves with. I think a rather expensive paraphernalia be made for them.

If we were to add such a paraphernalia, it would still cost a lot to protect you against attack if you were carrying thousands of gold. Which von Genf obviously was.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 07, 2012, 01:55:12 AM »
I get your point but on the priest side it isn't that great that they will randomly lose their money and have nothing to defend themselves with. I think a rather expensive paraphernalia be made for them.

Expensive how? If its just a once of cost then in the scope of things its not expensive. If it is a reoccurring cost then the priest need to have a large income and carry around gold to pay them. So they are carrying around gold just so they can .... pay to reduce the risk to carry around gold. Perhaps the system isn't random? Perhaps it targets those that carry around large amounts of gold?
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: September 07, 2012, 02:15:01 AM »
Expensive how? If its just a once of cost then in the scope of things its not expensive. If it is a reoccurring cost then the priest need to have a large income and carry around gold to pay them. So they are carrying around gold just so they can .... pay to reduce the risk to carry around gold. Perhaps the system isn't random? Perhaps it targets those that carry around large amounts of gold?

I would presume it does exactly that.

Could also have some random factor based on control/loyalty of a region; that would make a lot of sense.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: September 07, 2012, 02:18:08 AM »
Obviously vongenf had a large sum but what is the minimum needed to be considered a large sum?
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 07, 2012, 02:21:22 AM »
Obviously vongenf had a large sum but what is the minimum needed to be considered a large sum?

Beats me, but the fact I've not heard complaints before suggest that we are probably talking LARGE amounts. Then again I don't know when the code was changed.

I would presume it does exactly that.

Could also have some random factor based on control/loyalty of a region; that would make a lot of sense.

I always thought it was more likely to occur in rogue regions as well.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Penchant

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: September 07, 2012, 02:25:05 AM »
Beats me, but the fact I've not heard complaints before suggest that we are probably talking LARGE amounts. Then again I don't know when the code was changed.

I always thought it was more likely to occur in rogue regions as well.
The last part could definently be since Vongenf was very likely traveling through D'hara's rogue areas.
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 07, 2012, 05:34:43 AM »
There are legitimate reasons for priests to be carrying around gold, for example to build shrines or stock temple treasuries. There's even more reason for them to do so when they're sub-classing as a diplomat. Is the threshold after which you will have a chance of getting robbed relatively high? Certainly there's no practical reason for a priest to be carrying around 1500 gold, but I like to keep at least a few hundred on my priest for using diplomacy actions and in case I need to build a shrine or restock a temple. Would he be at risk of being robbed?

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 07, 2012, 06:09:02 AM »
I always carry some hundreds (almost never 500 or more, though), and had never this kind of incident. Been through many rogue regions around Dwilight too.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: September 07, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
It should not be possible to courier huge amounts of gold around without risk.

Couriering? That was just pocket change.  8)
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 07, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
The last part could definently be since Vongenf was very likely traveling through D'hara's rogue areas.

Nope - between Mimer and Port Nebel. Port Nebel is at Core, but other stats are down the drain, so maybe this had an effect.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 07, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »
Sure there is. Don't carry massive amounts of gold.
That's not an answer. 

There are plenty of legitimate reasons people who play priests might need to carry large amounts of gold -- particularly if they are elders and need to fund a large temple expansion.  And while perhaps priests shouldn't be able to act as couriers more easily than other nobles with troops -- though I think it adds to the game if they can -- they shouldn't be less able to do so.

And just what is 'massive' amounts of gold, anyways?  For some, a couple thousand is a pittance.  It certainly is for my priest.  I'm a ruler, just wandering around in my realm I might suddenly have 'too much gold' because I didn't go turn my taxes into bonds for a while.  And my realm isn't exactly the richest, and I don't have any income other than being ruler.

'Have less gold' is not a real answer to the question of how priests can manage their risk.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: September 07, 2012, 01:08:29 PM »
And just what is 'massive' amounts of gold, anyways?  For some, a couple thousand is a pittance.  It certainly is for my priest.  I'm a ruler, just wandering around in my realm I might suddenly have 'too much gold' because I didn't go turn my taxes into bonds for a while.  And my realm isn't exactly the richest, and I don't have any income other than being ruler.

No, sorry; just because it's easy for you to accumulate thousands of gold doesn't make it any less of a massive amount.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: September 07, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
the tax thing... did i mention there should be a toggle so you can decide your taxes come in bonds or gold whilst within realm?
firefox

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: September 07, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »
the tax thing... did i mention there should be a toggle so you can decide your taxes come in bonds or gold whilst within realm?

I like that idea myself. If I am a troop-carrier, having gold-on-hand to pay for troops, entertainment, etc. is obviously the ideal. If I'm trading though, I need bonds, not gold. There might have been a balance issue where defending forces need to refit less often because of it, but I figure that's not a bad balance to set. Probably don't know the full implications of this myself, but I'd suggest posting it in the ideas part of the forum. Something to look at at least, I'd hope.

On topic. Religions need nobles to survive and to expand. That hasn't changed since I started playing and I doubt it ever will. Priests do not need to carry thousands or even hundreds of gold on their person. They have no reason to and while others might think its a good idea, considering that you've got that handy "Arrest Priest" option in certain cases, and Judges can liberate prisoner's gold purses, pirates and bandits are hardly the only reason why its not always a good idea. Hundreds or thousands of gold, and no guards.

That's just asking for trouble. Duh. Get a noble, with troops to actually guard against these things, to do your couriering if you don't want to take the risk. If you do want to take the risk, that's obviously your business but nothing anywhere says it has to be the best option.

Finton.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: September 07, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
I like that idea myself. If I am a troop-carrier, having gold-on-hand to pay for troops, entertainment, etc. is obviously the ideal. If I'm trading though, I need bonds, not gold. There might have been a balance issue where defending forces need to refit less often because of it, but I figure that's not a bad balance to set. Probably don't know the full implications of this myself, but I'd suggest posting it in the ideas part of the forum. Something to look at at least, I'd hope.

On topic. Religions need nobles to survive and to expand. That hasn't changed since I started playing and I doubt it ever will. Priests do not need to carry thousands or even hundreds of gold on their person. They have no reason to and while others might think its a good idea, considering that you've got that handy "Arrest Priest" option in certain cases, and Judges can liberate prisoner's gold purses, pirates and bandits are hardly the only reason why its not always a good idea. Hundreds or thousands of gold, and no guards.

That's just asking for trouble. Duh. Get a noble, with troops to actually guard against these things, to do your couriering if you don't want to take the risk. If you do want to take the risk, that's obviously your business but nothing anywhere says it has to be the best option.

Finton.

I have two words for you: Diplomat subclass.