Author Topic: There are rich pirates in D'Hara  (Read 40721 times)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
Re: There are rich pirates in D'Hara
« Reply #45: September 07, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
Yes, thank you, that was my point.  Some people end up carrying massive amounts of gold without much of a choice in the matter.  All well and good for a noble with troops, but apparently no longer for a priest.

Perhaps the risk is tiny, perhaps it is not -- given no one seems to know when this changed, the fact that it's happened once so far could mean a lot of things.
Yes.  Actually, there is.  Stocking temple treasuries, building expansions to temples . . . I suppose we don't need to do those things (and certainly, not all priests do them) . . . normal nobles also don't need to fight other nobles when their realms are at war, though.

Yep. Normal nobles can be courtiers too if they want. Wars = wartorn regions = plenty of work for courtiers.

If a Priest can't convince and/or trust a single other noble to move gold with their troops guarding it for them, that Priest should retire. It'd be better for their family, because clearly that Priest isn't achieving much. Should they have to? No. And they don't. One in a hundred chance, I said earlier, and that was probably more often than it happens. If they want no chance of getting robbed by bandits/pirates, get someone who can hire troops. Making "guard units" or whatever seems a waste of time to me.

I think you're being ridiculously offended at the fact that it can happen, though its only happened once. If it happened every day to you, I'd say Tom doesn't like you. If it happens every day to Priests everywhere, its out of order. But its a reasonable risk when moving that much gold (and no risk to bonds, let's remember) and no one here, not even me, is saying that Priests can't have gold on hand. ITS HAPPENED ONCE. Its a means by which to take gold out of the economy, from characters that otherwise spend very little personally. If you're offended by that, by the possibility that you might lose all that gold, then don't carry it. If you want to carry that much, accept the risk. Those of us with troops marching into battle with plenty of gold to simply pay men (therefore disappearing it out of the economy) have a far higher risk of getting captured and robbed by the enemy judge.

THAT happens far more than just once.