Author Topic: There are rich pirates in D'Hara  (Read 40023 times)

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
Re: There are rich pirates in D'Hara
« Reply #75: September 09, 2012, 07:32:10 AM »
Here's how a priest or bishop in BattleMaster leads troops into battle:

1) Change class to a warrior.
2) Hire a unit.
3) Lead them into battle.
4) When you want to stop leading troops into battle, leave the unit as militia and change class back to a priest.

You don't have to change your character's basic drives and desires to "I fight wars all the time now! I am big burly fighting-type man!" to change their class from priest to warrior. You just can't lead troops into battle while preaching to the peasants, or while getting the game-mechanic benefits of priest-type travel.
Restrictions on a certain number of elders being required to be of the priest class can sometimes make it difficult, though.  But yes, obviously it would not work to have the priest class as it exists now be able to lead troops.  I'm just saying that realistically, priests sometimes did.  And I doubt it affected their ability to give sermons.

Ideally, I think, there would be some separate class that counted as a priest for elder rank purposes, could lead troops (maybe less than normal, for balance), traveled as a normal warrior, and had limited preaching options.  But I don't really expect such a thing to be added any time soon.