Author Topic: There are rich pirates in D'Hara  (Read 39947 times)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: There are rich pirates in D'Hara
« Reply #75: September 09, 2012, 12:26:52 AM »
This last part is not true and quite the opposite. A unitless noble who was not a priest have it much easier for them to courier gold since priests can be arrested at any time while a unitless noble can only be arrested by chance from "patrols" after a turn and that only happens when there are large amount of enemy troops. While it is true priests can only be arrested by nobles their realm or of enemy realms, that is more than regular nobles and all of things you listed about what can happen to a traveling noble only happens from enemy realms.

A unitless warrior incurs in a chance of being robbed even with very little gold on hands and at his home region. Happened to me more than once.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Collingwood

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76: September 09, 2012, 02:17:55 AM »
They should develop a "warrior monk" sub-class as a compromise. You could still get robbed but you have a chance of putting up a fight depending on your swordsmanship.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #77: September 09, 2012, 03:51:42 AM »
They should develop a "warrior monk" sub-class as a compromise. You could still get robbed but you have a chance of putting up a fight depending on your swordsmanship.

I might be wrong, but I don't think a warrior monk class is in the spirit of the game at all.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #78: September 09, 2012, 03:54:36 AM »

Why does it need a subclass?  Just having something key off of one of the combat stats would work.

Actually...Warriors getting a chance to fight off the bandits, Priests or diplomats getting a chance to talk their way out of it, infiltrators slipping away, etc might not be a bad thing.  Designate a primary stat for each class or subclass, have the percentage in that stat count toward your chances...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 04:03:34 AM by Bedwyr »
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #79: September 09, 2012, 03:58:11 AM »
I might be wrong, but I don't think a warrior monk class is in the spirit of the game at all.
Eh . . . yes and no.  Yes in that most people hearing 'warrior monk' would probably think of something fantasy or Asian, no in that many priests and bishops led troops into battle in Europe . . . not sure how many actually fought, but I'm sure some knew how to.

So, really, the fact that priests in the game can't lead troops at all is more against the spirit of the game's setting.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80: September 09, 2012, 04:08:19 AM »
Warriors getting a chance to fight off the bandits
I'm fairly certain they already do. When Brance was a trader on Dwilight, he fought off a bandit group when traveling alone with 8 or 9 caravans. May have just been flavor text, but it did say I fought them off.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Alpha

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #81: September 09, 2012, 04:09:44 AM »
Eh . . . yes and no.  Yes in that most people hearing 'warrior monk' would probably think of something fantasy or Asian, no in that many priests and bishops led troops into battle in Europe . . . not sure how many actually fought, but I'm sure some knew how to.

So, really, the fact that priests in the game can't lead troops at all is more against the spirit of the game's setting.

Oh I'm sure some priests knew how to fight. I think it would really depend on how warrior monk is defined. If it's simply a priest that could fight, like a hero/priest then sure that isn't really unusual. The cliched warrior monk RPG class wouldn't really do. For the most part players don't get special abilities, and all are normal humans, which means that in all likelihood a solo priest isn't going to fight a group of bandits.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82: September 09, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »
Here's how a priest or bishop in BattleMaster leads troops into battle:

1) Change class to a warrior.
2) Hire a unit.
3) Lead them into battle.
4) When you want to stop leading troops into battle, leave the unit as militia and change class back to a priest.

You don't have to change your character's basic drives and desires to "I fight wars all the time now! I am big burly fighting-type man!" to change their class from priest to warrior. You just can't lead troops into battle while preaching to the peasants, or while getting the game-mechanic benefits of priest-type travel.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #83: September 09, 2012, 04:51:32 AM »
Why does it need a subclass?  Just having something key off of one of the combat stats would work.

Actually...Warriors getting a chance to fight off the bandits, Priests or diplomats getting a chance to talk their way out of it, infiltrators slipping away, etc might not be a bad thing.  Designate a primary stat for each class or subclass, have the percentage in that stat count toward your chances...

This seems very balanced to me.

I'm fairly certain they already do. When Brance was a trader on Dwilight, he fought off a bandit group when traveling alone with 8 or 9 caravans. May have just been flavor text, but it did say I fought them off.

Indeed, pretty sure this does happen. I did it once when I was swapped out of a priest class as well, as a hero, I think.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #84: September 09, 2012, 07:32:10 AM »
Here's how a priest or bishop in BattleMaster leads troops into battle:

1) Change class to a warrior.
2) Hire a unit.
3) Lead them into battle.
4) When you want to stop leading troops into battle, leave the unit as militia and change class back to a priest.

You don't have to change your character's basic drives and desires to "I fight wars all the time now! I am big burly fighting-type man!" to change their class from priest to warrior. You just can't lead troops into battle while preaching to the peasants, or while getting the game-mechanic benefits of priest-type travel.
Restrictions on a certain number of elders being required to be of the priest class can sometimes make it difficult, though.  But yes, obviously it would not work to have the priest class as it exists now be able to lead troops.  I'm just saying that realistically, priests sometimes did.  And I doubt it affected their ability to give sermons.

Ideally, I think, there would be some separate class that counted as a priest for elder rank purposes, could lead troops (maybe less than normal, for balance), traveled as a normal warrior, and had limited preaching options.  But I don't really expect such a thing to be added any time soon.

Collingwood

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85: September 09, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »

I would refer you to the Druids of Wales, the Conquistadors of Spain and individuals of the like of Cearare Borgia.  Your concept of a priest it would seem is more grounded in current representations.  There are hundreds of examples of ancient religions where priests were active warriors of their own faiths. 

If we look specifically at the Christian tradition, priesthood was generally the occupation of the second born son, but due to high childhood mortality both sons would be tutored in handling a sword incase the first died.  The concept of a warrior monk is sound.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #86: September 09, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
If we look specifically at the Christian tradition, priesthood was generally the occupation of the second born son, but due to high childhood mortality both sons would be tutored in handling a sword incase the first died.  The concept of a warrior monk is sound.

Nobody is arguing that you cannot have a religious warrior. Warriors can occupy Elder ranks in a religious hierarchy and be given religious titles.

The priest class is not about your position in a religion, it is about how you occupy your days. If you fight battles, then you are a warrior. As Indirik says, you do not have to remain warriors forever; there are many characters who are played as priests on most occasions, but who switch to warrior during important wars while keeping their religious rank and RP, and that's fine.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Collingwood

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87: September 09, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
I just think there should be some innate ability for a priest to defend him/herself from bandits and the like.  As to leading armies, i suppose there is nothing to prevent the class from becoming a realms tactician or Marshal even.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #88: September 09, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
I just think there should be some innate ability for a priest to defend him/herself from bandits and the like.  As to leading armies, i suppose there is nothing to prevent the class from becoming a realms tactician or Marshal even.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. I agree with you then.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89: September 09, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Restrictions on a certain number of elders being required to be of the priest class can sometimes make it difficult, though.  But yes, obviously it would not work to have the priest class as it exists now be able to lead troops.  I'm just saying that realistically, priests sometimes did.  And I doubt it affected their ability to give sermons.

And if we were going by realism, and not game balance, you wouldn't need a certain number of elder priests to keep a religion going, and any character that's trained up their infiltration skill could use it any time, and you could actually kill other characters, and...

You begin to see my point?

Also, if you're worried about changing class because of the elder priests restriction, your religion is probably already in deep trouble.

Ideally, I think, there would be some separate class that counted as a priest for elder rank purposes, could lead troops (maybe less than normal, for balance), traveled as a normal warrior, and had limited preaching options.  But I don't really expect such a thing to be added any time soon.

Nope, ain't gonna happen.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan