Author Topic: There are rich pirates in D'Hara  (Read 39933 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: There are rich pirates in D'Hara
« Reply #90: September 09, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »
Another priest nerf?

Priests were the best to carry gold... and to compensate, they are now made the worst? Warriors can at least hire troops to defend themselves, priests can't do anything.

Carrying large ammounts of gold is a great part of the priest game, once the religion has developped. Temples need funding to grow, and they are often quite far apart.

I really see no point in this mechanic, other than nerfing priests further. It's not because it's an "RP class" that it must have the worst mechanics possible.

Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: September 09, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Another priest nerf?

Priests were the best to carry gold... and to compensate, they are now made the worst? Warriors can at least hire troops to defend themselves, priests can't do anything.

Carrying large ammounts of gold is a great part of the priest game, once the religion has developped. Temples need funding to grow, and they are often quite far apart.

I really see no point in this mechanic, other than nerfing priests further. It's not because it's an "RP class" that it must have the worst mechanics possible.

This is not particularly new.

It is not particularly common.

It does not have a particularly large effect.

Do you really think that priests should be able to wander around carrying thousands and thousands of gold all the time without any risk?

No, wait—that's right; in The World According to Chénier, priests should be supermen, able to do whatever the hell they want.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #92: September 09, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »

Do you really think that priests should be able to wander around carrying thousands and thousands of gold all the time without any risk?

No, wait—that's right; in The World According to Chénier, priests should be supermen, able to do whatever the hell they want.

Please look objectively at the post and not who made it. If you're going to base your decision on who made the post, don't respond at all.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: September 09, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
Please look objectively at the post and not who made it. If you're going to base your decision on who made the post, don't respond at all.

+1
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: September 09, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »

Hey now, this is Anaris. If his posts aren't belittling and rude, then he just isn't being himself!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:31:26 AM by Perth »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: September 09, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »

I didn't say all the time, nor no risk at all. But seriously, how "broken" was this advantage? The most common use is going to fund temples... How game-breaking is this?

Was bothers me is that to "fix" a minor advantage that a seriously underpowered class had, you implemented a serious vulnerability with no ability to compensate or reduce the risk in any way (carrying less gold is NOT a solution). Yes priests were the best suited to carry large sums of gold (woohoo, look at me, I can CARRY GOLD! zomg!). So what? Did they really need to become the worst? Now, if my priest character wants to withdraw a large sum of gold at the capital to go expand a temple next door, he risks being attacked by mobs unless you does 5 treks to fund the temple? What if he wants to travel two weeks away to do this (common on Dwilight)?

Priests are an endangered species. The religion game, as I witness it, has seriously declined in interest over the years, overall. I don't see how removing the few minor perks priests had does anything to improve the game. Even when old priests still got all of their hours, travel was never longer than 16 hours and bandits were of no concern, priests were far from overpowered, and nobody was complaining about the perks.

As for "without any risk", priests are the only characters that other nobles can actively arrest. They are far from invulnerable.

I just really don't see the point.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: September 09, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »
Hey now, this is Anaris. If his posts are belittling and rude, then he just isn't being himself!

You mean "aren't"?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Vellos

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: September 09, 2012, 09:42:51 PM »

As for "without any risk", priests are the only characters that other nobles can actively arrest. They are far from invulnerable.

Shhh Chenier, Indirik told us not to think about that. It doesn't count because sometimes it's hard or has repercussions.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: September 09, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
I didn't say all the time, nor no risk at all. But seriously, how "broken" was this advantage? The most common use is going to fund temples... How game-breaking is this?

You're still ignoring the most salient part of the message you replied to.

This isn't new.

The code that von Genf triggered? It's been live for years.

If this is the first time you're coming across it, then obviously it's not a high enough chance to actually affect your behaviour.

So please quit whining about us "nerfing" the priest class.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: September 09, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »

If it's been there for years, then it's perfectly fine for me. I've been travelling around Dwilight for years too, and it's the first time this happens. Seeing the reaction here, it must be the first time it happened for anyone really. It's just a rare random event, it's normal.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: September 09, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
Novelty is relative and arbitrary.

Say, how much gold were you carrying, anyways?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: September 09, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
Say, how much gold were you carrying, anyways?

More than was stolen, let's leave it at that.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: September 10, 2012, 04:08:05 AM »

Well, all right then.  It only took seven pages for a dev to tell us the thing that would have made a lot of people be far less worried about this whole thing.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: September 10, 2012, 04:20:50 AM »
Anaris is lucky enough to have the tools to easily find that info. And the knowledge to know where to look. It would probably take me hours to slog through the code to try and find that, and then figure out when that change was committed. Assuming I could even find it...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: September 10, 2012, 08:32:31 AM »
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)